PDA

View Full Version : Poplar Vase

John Hart
05-10-2005, 9:54 PM
I took the day off today to work on the car and ran into a little extra time so I finished off this vase. I don't really like it. It seems goofy but I can't place what I don't like about it. It's 7" tall and 5" in diameter and the wall thickness is 1/4". I put some BLO on it...still haven't decided on a finish. Maybe Glenn's concoction this time.

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-11-2005, 12:37 AM
Well John,

It IS unique. The flow of line is very nice. The grain pattern does make it stand out. I can't really find anything to DISLIKE, sooooooooooo I LIKE IT!

Bruce

Mark Singer
05-11-2005, 12:39 AM
John,

That is a beauty! You are doing some great ones....I would love to see another Shlamaca, or a Shaputcki .....another rare wood

John Hart
05-11-2005, 6:44 AM
Thanks guys... You know, I spent the weekend in Amish country and made a deal with a family that runs a sawmill/pallet shop and they're making me a special deal to take their big leftover stuff. I figure I can try to sell a lot of it as turning blanks but I'll keep a bunch of it. There are so many types of wood that I'm almost positive that I'll find a prime piece of Shlamaca in there somewhere.:)

Carole Valentine
05-11-2005, 8:39 AM
Somehow I never think of turning poplar, but that makes me want to try it. You think it looks "goofy"? I don't. But to my eye, it would look better with no base (just a slightly recessed bottom.) Keep spinnin' John...you're getting hooked!:D

Bob Hovde
05-11-2005, 8:55 AM
The rolled lip is excellent, but I agree with Carole about the base. The lines don't flow there as well. Overall, it's very nice.

Bob

Kurt Aebi
05-11-2005, 8:56 AM
I think Carol ir right, John!

The base should go, maybe that is what you are seeing, but not liking.
How did you find the poplar to turn. I find that it turns easily, but is very prone to tear-out and requires much much sanding to get real smooth. Maybe the stuff I have is a little too dry, but that iw what I've found. Poplar can have some real neat colors to it.

Here's an example (my second bowl).

John Hart
05-11-2005, 9:35 AM
Wow Kurt...nice colors. I like the poplar ok because of it's behavior overall. Hollowing the end grain was touchy though...sharp tools seemed to be the key. To all: I think I'll go ahead and rechuck it and take out that base to see how it looks...That sounds like a good idea. Thanks a grunch! :)

Ernie Nyvall
05-12-2005, 8:31 AM
Wow John, I like it. The rim looks good and and the curve all the way up to it.

Ernie

Jerry Clark
05-12-2005, 10:04 AM
I think it is a nice shape-- it is a different style than we normally see on wood vases.:cool: Finish it and put some silk flowers in it and it will be beautiful.:D