PDA

View Full Version : Ridgid jointer and new Freud knives question....

Justin Jump
04-01-2013, 12:28 PM
Hello all,

Quick question....

When I first got the Ridgid jointer @ 6 months ago, during my initial setup, I wanted to see how it worked, so I grabbed a 2x6, gave a quick look over, ran it through, and I thought it looked great, so good in fact, I ran it through 6 or 7 times....

Guess what happened on the 6th or 7th time......yep, I hit a buried nail. So the past 6 months or so I have been using the area of the blade without the nick.

I finally got around to ordering new Freud knives and installing them over the weekend. I followed the manual, and I used the magnet jig to get the knives in alignment with the outfeed table, and it feels like everything is cutting fine.

Here is my slight issue. The new Freud knives were @ 0.040" wider than the stock Ridgid knives, and when I put them in the carrier, they stood proud of the outfeed table, so I had to raise the outfeed table to get the alignment correct. I actually raised the outfeed by @ 0.060", so that I had to bring the blades up just a tad using the magnets, so that I could actually see and feel the magnets doing their job.

The problem is, I now cannot raise the infeed up to the point of the outfeed to hit the "zero" mark, It's raised as far as the handle will let me, and I can get it to about 0.018" close using a feeler gauge.

However, since I plan on setting the jointer up to cut 1/32" and never really change it, should I even worry about that?

I have to drop it down to get to 1/32" anyways, and I have enough play in the little depth gauge thingy to set it at 1/32".

Alan Schwabacher
04-01-2013, 2:00 PM
It should work fine without being able to set the cut below 0.018". If you want to readjust the knives, it can be done fairly simply by loosening one knife at a time a little bit, and tapping it down with a block of wood as shown in Bob Vaughan's you-tube video on adjusting jointer knives: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRnrWOwun68

The magnetic block makes setting knives very close to the right position quick. Vaughan's approach can be helpful for fine tuning from there, whatever method you use to check height of knives.

Brett Robson
04-01-2013, 5:19 PM
It's been a while since I swapped out the straight knife head in my Ridgid, but if memory serves, I think there's adjusting screws under the knives which are used to raise, or more importantly here, to lower them. I agree the .018" probably won't make any difference though and you'll never know it's there.