PDA

View Full Version : Small side projects for my shop

Liesl Dexheimer
04-01-2013, 11:59 AM
Thought I would post some small side projects I made for our shop. The first attachment is a customer testimonials plaque I made out of birch plywood & cardboard (I really like how cardboard engraves). I wanted it to have a more earthy/organic/artistic flair. Made this to remind me of the good times when I'm having an off day.

Second is a 24" x 36" poster that I may have printed at some point. I have a photo album full of pictures over the years but decided to try to make a mosaic of past jobs (of course not every job I complete is photographed).

Martin Boekers
04-01-2013, 12:35 PM
Some good ideas. You may want to consider a calendar, One with pull off pages, or multi page photos of your work. There are many ways to design these and can be
printed on demand with a laser printer and a comb binding machine. I used to do this when I focused more on commercial photography. They cost about $3 ea to produce, you just set
a PDF file up and print them a few at a time as needed. I used to give these to clients and they asked about cost for extras, so I always ended up selling about 300
or so a year at $10ea! Granted this was my photographs and not products I was selling. This was easy to do and cheap marketing.... Plus it just cost you for what you print, you don't have to buy hundreds

Liesl Dexheimer
04-01-2013, 1:08 PM
Ooo nice idea Martin, I never thought of turning it into a calendar, thank you for the suggestion! ;)

Mike Chance in Iowa
04-01-2013, 2:26 PM
Looks great Liesel. I too like the way cardboard can engrave - especially the kind that you show in your photo. You never know when you will open a package and find that great cardboard inside!

Mike Null
04-01-2013, 4:39 PM
I like the poster. Great idea!

Maybe that shot should be on your website.

Liesl Dexheimer
04-02-2013, 8:27 AM
Looks great Liesel. I too like the way cardboard can engrave - especially the kind that you show in your photo. You never know when you will open a package and find that great cardboard inside!

Haha, yeah I have piles of cardboard that I've saved over the years. I sometimes use it for templates when hotstamping too.

John Salitsky
04-17-2013, 9:23 AM
Wow, very nice! I have always wanted to try engraving photo matt board on my laser but have just never gotten around to it.

Liesl Dexheimer
04-18-2013, 11:08 AM
Thank you John! ;)

It's always important to take time to experiment with new materials when possible. You never know what the results may be which makes this industry fun.