PDA

View Full Version : Hollowing tools

mark ravensdale
04-01-2013, 11:47 AM
Hi guys!!!
looking into getting a new hollowing tool, narrowed my search down to three (that are available in the UK)
They are the woodcut pro-forme, the hamlet big brother 2, and the rolly Munro tool,
been edging towards the big brother tool as it looks to be very heavily built and has no links to flex, and it is much cheaper than the other two (though this is not my main concern!)
would be very grateful if any of you guys have any experience with any of these three tools could pass on your thoughts about them to me please.

Many thanks!!!

Joe Meirhaeghe
04-01-2013, 4:49 PM
I've been using the Rolly Munro Hollower 2 mounted in a Steve Sinner boring bar for around 5 years now & it is a excellent tool. There is a learning curve to it but is a very versatile tool. I use it on almost every turning I do, but all my turnings are end grain hollow vessels. I'd buy it again in a heart beat should anything ever happen to it.

Faust M. Ruggiero
04-01-2013, 6:32 PM
Both tools are top notch but meant for end grain hollowing. In addition, make some Ellsworth style tools for cross grain hollowing.
faust

Ryan Baker
04-01-2013, 7:57 PM
I was just using my Pro-Forme tool yesterday. It is fantastic for end-grain hollow forms. I don't use it for much else though.

All of these tools are mostly similar, with subtle differences. If you do a lot of end-grain forms, one of them will be your new best friend.

Harry Robinette
04-02-2013, 7:41 PM
I understand you only listed the 3 hollowers but you mite try the Kelton hollowers I love mine end grain or cross grain.

mark ravensdale
04-02-2013, 8:22 PM
Harry, thanks for replying, I already have a set of the Kelton hollowers, and yes you are correct, they are very good indeed, but I wanted something to speed things up a little, the ring cutters do seem to get through the wood that bit faster, and I now have a good constant supply of good cheap wood (low cost to me) so that's where the 3 hollowers would come into there own, but thanks very much for your reply!!!

Richard Coers
04-02-2013, 11:29 PM
Consider that the ring tools will make curls that are difficult to get out of a hollow form with a very small opening. You can hook them out, but that is not as fast or easy as small chips from the scraper cutters. If you have large openings, the ring tools work very nicely and I think you can get a smoother cut along the profile that with the small scraper cutters.