PDA

View Full Version : Refrigerator ice maker troubleshooting question

Craig D Peltier
04-01-2013, 11:01 AM
I have a kenmore elite ice maker , the ice cubes when pushed up always freeze and sit on top of the fingers so they wont drop down which in turns stops it from making ice. All day long when at the fridge I open it up and pull them down. One time I had a sears guy here and he said maybe it was the heater that heats the cubes to get them loose??? He said it would be hard to tell and suggested to just replace it. I can order a new ice maker here, this is what it looks like.
http://www.appliancepartshelp.com/Kenmore-Elite-Refrigerator-parts-ice-maker-5989JA002-_p_2459.html

Any guess what could be causing this?

Thanks

Michael Weber
04-01-2013, 11:10 AM
Okay, just a WAG but have you tried lowering the freezer temperature a bit? Sounds like the heater is working to release the cubes but refreezing them to the fingers before it can get around to dump them. Like I said just WAG.

Craig D Peltier
04-01-2013, 12:20 PM
Okay, just a WAG but have you tried lowering the freezer temperature a bit? Sounds like the heater is working to release the cubes but refreezing them to the fingers before it can get around to dump them. Like I said just WAG.

Hmm temperature is set at 0. I think thats normal freezer temperature but I have not.

Don Jarvie
04-01-2013, 12:47 PM
I had the same problem with a similar fridge. Take out the ice draw and get a hair dryer and melt the ice. It only happened once and hasn't been an issue since.

Kevin Bourque
04-01-2013, 4:16 PM
Are you putting warm/hot food or leftovers in the freezer? The humidity could be causing the ice build up.

Mike Null
04-01-2013, 5:21 PM
That wire arm is an on-off switch. I believe the down position is on and as the cubes fill the bin the arm is raised to stop the icemaker from refilling. My recollection is that the tray dumps the cubes in the bin. I would try to see if the tray is meshed properly. I agree that temperature could also be the issue.

If you decide to replace it shop around as many mfrs use the same icemaker which was made by a company in Georgia as I recall. Some parts suppliers may be willing to cut the price to get rid of old inventory. Chances are good that your refrigerator was made by Whirlpool or Frigidaire.