PDA

View Full Version : Lie Nielsen Customer Service

Prashun Patel
04-01-2013, 10:59 AM
I have to give another shout out to LN for this:

A few months back, I dropped my LN102 block plane which rendered the adjustment screw/knob broken. They sent me another out no charge. Unfortunately, that still didn't fix the problem. I figured since this was my fault I was just going to have to deal with it.

On a lark, I wrote to them last month and asked if they could fix it for me - at a charge; I was up front that the plane stopped working because *I* dropped it.

Without blinking, they said they'd inspect it for free. Last week, the plane came back fixed and polished, *no charge*.

I am very impressed with their quality and customer service (as if this is new news to everyone). Their prices just started looking a lot lower to me...

Erik Christensen
04-01-2013, 5:46 PM
yah they pretty much rock - smart business attitude for the long haul. they figured out that in lieu of a couple of buck in service fees they would throw it out as a freebie and get 100 times that in return in good will. I bet a big factor is they are not a publicly traded company forced to think only of the next quarter's numbers but instead they can take the long view & behave in ways that keeps them in business for decades.

Don Rogers
04-01-2013, 7:11 PM
LN recently repaired my LN102, except mine had not been dropped or abused in any way. I purchased it some 10 years ago (to the best of my memory). It was in excellent shape other than as described below.

I usually back off the blade so it does just not show in the mouth in order to protect it when not using the plane. I'm sure some other LN102 owners don't bother to do this but I do.

The Cap Iron tongue was slightly too long and this resulted in the tongue riding down the bevel when it was retracted - making it necessary to keep screwing down on the spin wheel to keep sufficient pressure on the blade. Extending the blade forward for use then presented the opposite problem. Not a tremendous problem but slightly irritating to me

LN agreed that this was the problem and offered to repair it. Rather than tackle this myself, I sent it back them.

It was returned last week fully repaired to my satisfaction (at no charge) and actually looked like a brand new plane. In fact I had to ask if it was new and Thomas replied " Glad you are happy with the plane, it is the same one cleaned up and fixed. Enjoy! "

That was my first experience with LN customer service and I am very pleased. LN is a top notch company.

Don

Shawn Pixley
04-01-2013, 9:57 PM
I also echo their customer service. I have a 4-1/2 with the standard and 55 degree frogs. I was getting tired of switching the frogs, so I asked if I could get a body and all the accoutemonts without the frog so I would end up with two smoothers. They checked with Tom and we made a deal. I am sure that my request complicated their supply chain. It didn't work out perfectly the first time (partially my fault). But they have been great to deal with and they'll keep me coming back

Al Weber
04-02-2013, 9:02 AM
I had the same experience several months ago when I purchased a LN 164 from a fellow who apparently left it in a flood or some such environment. The adjuster for the mouth was frozen and after an email exchange, I mailed it in and had it in the return mail in a couple of weeks completely cleaned up and looking like new. I recently noted an exchange on another forum that said that LN was just wasting resources by doing all this free warranty work but I am sure that LN has made more money from satisfied customers than they ever spent in warranty work. Great company. More businesses should follow their philosophy.

Bill White
04-02-2013, 3:34 PM
The idea of "wasting resources" by doing the type of customer service is absolutely STUPID. LN and Lee Valley are very noteworthy in that they value their reputation for excellence of product and service. I applaude them, and any company, that values their image.
Al is right on.
Bill