PDA

View Full Version : Used Jet Lathe on CL, thoughts?

Jay Jagerson
04-01-2013, 10:24 AM
I'm still toying with getting a lathe.

I found this lathe on Craigs List. Its a JET JWL-1642EVS-2, it one of the lathes that I looked at a year or two ago that was on my short list.

For the most part its the lathe and a Nova 2 chuck. I already have a One Way chuck (I think that's the manufacture).

What would be a good value for this lathe?

http:// minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/for/3699157353.html

Thanks

Jay

Steve Schlumpf
04-01-2013, 10:48 AM
Jay - I didn't see anything about a chuck in the ad but as far as price, new versions of this lathe are going for $2600. To me, a good price really would depend on how old the lathe is (warranty) and included accessories.

Richard Coers
04-01-2013, 10:54 AM
It's been my experience that the lathe is probably sold by now. Any lathes of that quality sell within the first hour or less on Craigslist. If not, that's an okay price, shows at $2649 on Amazon with free shipping.

Jay Jagerson
04-01-2013, 10:57 AM
Steve

I'm not sure how old the lathe is. I got the Nova Chuck information from an email. As far as any other extras in the email he just stated some mics things. Only thing of any extra value I would think would be the chuck at this point.

I would assume its out of warranty but who knows.

Its just far enough from my hosue and as much as I hate to haggle without looking at it I think I may need to shoot the guy an offer. Or at least know I'm in the ball park.

John Keeton
04-01-2013, 12:12 PM
Similar lathes that are relatively new and in good shape, have been selling recently for $1850-1900 from what I have heard. Hope that helps.

Jay Jagerson
04-01-2013, 12:22 PM
Thanks all, I did email the Owner, its out of warranty so I now know that. I may get some cash and run and take a look. I was looking at the Delta Midi as a choice as well, this just happen to come up.

Tim Rinehart
04-02-2013, 2:04 PM
that 1642 is a fine lathe, and if in good condition, I'd value it at about the same as John indicated to anything just shy of $2000. If it's out of warranty (5 yr?), I'd expect the owner didn't spend more than about $2000 for it, so that's a bargaining point that it's both out of warranty and the owner is getting back about what he paid. You can find out how old typically by date code on motor housing.
My first lathe was a CL bought 1642 (1.5 HP version), I sold it a year later (really wanted capacity of a 3520) and barely lost a dime given how they go up in price each year.