PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have the Grizzly G0550 Planer?

Matt Meiser
05-10-2005, 9:11 PM
I was looking at planers and noticed the Grizzly G0550 planer. It looks like the Delta/Jet/Yorkcraft/etc. planers with the open stand base and a 2HP motor mounted on the top for $723 delivered.

Anyone have any experience with it?

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?ItemNumber=G0550

craig carlson
05-10-2005, 10:58 PM
I have the Enco version, 15 or so years old, Grizzly paint under the Enco paint. Never a problem. I want a 20" planer!
Craig

Keith Outten
05-11-2005, 4:43 AM
Matt,

I have a fifteen year old version of the Grizzly G0550 planer. Mine is single speed and did not have the newer bearings, they must be manually oiled before each use. In spite of the older features I can tell you it has been an excellent machine and has planed literally thousands and thousands of board feet of lumber. In my opinion this is one of the toughest and most reliable machines Grizzly has ever built.

David Fried
05-11-2005, 8:02 AM
I've had mine for almost two years. It's the only piece of Grizzly equipment I own. It does a great job on hardwoods but I get tearout on fir 2x4s.

The only problem I had was the paint peeling off the motor cover. Grizzzly replaced it with the wrong one and then a flat black one. Good enough.

I usually use it on the slower speed and it leaves a nice surface. When I remember to tighten the two locks I don't get snipe. When I get snipe I know what to check!

I caught it on sale for 500 something (6 something with shipping) and got it instead of one of the lunchbox planers. I'm certainly happy with it.

I also noticed it looks alot like the Jet on display at Woodcraft.

tim langford
05-11-2005, 9:52 AM
I really like mine. After about 10 years, I finally pulled out the blades and sharpened them by hand and now it cuts really great. I've never used another planer so I can't speak about other brands but if you spend some time adjusting the setup, all you have to do is put the wood in and be ready to pick it up when it comes out the other side, the planer does all the work. One great thing about the planer I learned when I sharpened the blades is that they are supported on these little springs that make reinstalling the blades a snap. You won't need those blade setting guides. I wish my delta jointer had some little springs.....I put mine on wheels and it's so heavy I don't even bother to lock them when I run it. Good luck.