PDA

View Full Version : How often do you reapply rust preventers/inhibitors?

Stephen Saar
04-01-2013, 1:26 AM
I've been trying to keep my tools rust free down here in Atlanta, but it seems to be hopeless battle. I've been using boeshield t9, and it's ok, but it doesn't last very long (usually a 1-3 months) before I start getting rust again. That's with very light usage. I apply it by spraying the surface down and waiting a hour or so then buffing it out. My tools are all in a garage but it's not conditioned so it's not the best environment. I just bought some CRC 3-36 and I'm going to try that next. I've been hoping to find a solution that I don't have to constantly reapply, but I was curious if anyone had any techniques or products they've had a lot of success with in high humidity areas.

I've also looked at Ultra Ever Dry (http://www.ultraeverdrystore.com/), but it's really expensive, and I'm not sure how well it holds up, but it seems like as long as it's tough enough it should prevent all rust.

Thanks.

-Stephen

Denny Rice
04-01-2013, 5:51 AM
When I get rust on a steel tabletop I like this 3 step process:
1. Purchase a can of PB Blaster (can be purchased at WalMart or most automotive stores) use this and spray entire surface down. Give it about 5 minutes on the surface, and take a green Scotch-brite pad and work the PB blaster into the top until the rust is worked free. (go in a back and forth direction, not side to side) Take a good paper towel and wipe surface down.
2. Take 409 (yes the stuff you clean the bathroom and kitchen with) and spray down top with 409 and wipe down again with paper towels until dry.
3. Give top about 5 minutes to completely dry then apply 2 to 3 coats of Johnson's Paste Wax (can be purchased at Lowes, HD, or most hardware stores) one can of this stuff will last you forever. Apply the paste wax and let each coat dry to a white haze and buff it out with a soft cotton cloth. My table saw is rust free and as smooth as a baby's butt. LOL
This probably needs to be done once or twice a year depending on conditions within your shop.

HANK METZ
04-01-2013, 7:33 AM
Here in Florida, on the coast, notorious for super high humidity I’ve been using boiled linseed oil for several years now, very inexpensive, readily obtainable, and most effective.

- Beachside Hank

Improvise, adapt, overcome; the essence of true craftsmanship.

Michael Dunn
04-01-2013, 1:37 PM
I believe the OP was asking when should be re-apply the solution. I leave it on until something happens. Like some sort of rust appears. Sometimes my respirator mask drips condensation on my table saw CI top. It may start to rust before I see it. Then I'll strip it and remove the rust then reapply.