PDA

View Full Version : Simple mesquite box

Roger Chandler
03-31-2013, 10:58 PM
I have not turned much since before Christmas.........until this box, only one small bowl from sassafras the first week of February. Lots of things going on.......including a death in the family, which involved a long trip and a week away from home.

This piece of mesquite came from Jerry Marcantel in Arizona. [thanks Jerry!] It was small so not suitable for anything large. I wanted to do more with it than cut it up for pen blanks, and I had only a couple of hours today that I could spend in the shop.......hopefully that will change in upcoming days.......

This is about 3.5 inches tall and 3" wide. Ordinarily I would not have even bothered to post this, as it is just a simple box, but since it has been a while for me to turn anything, and because it was mesquite.......which I really like because of its stability, I thought why not! ;) Finish is one coat of Mahoney's Walnut oil at this point.....more to come when it dries. The mesquite was fairly hard, and I had to resharpen three times, even though it is small.......tearout was an issue, but I managed to overcome it by resharpening and keeping a fresh edge on the gouge.

Bernie Weishapl
03-31-2013, 11:16 PM
Sorry about your loss. Really a nice looking box Roger. Really well done.

Rick Markham
04-01-2013, 1:15 AM
Sorry to hear about the loss of a family member Roger. I've only gotten to turn one thing since before Christmas too. (Going to get pics to post this week.) It's been an interesting experience for me to have stepped away from it, It's like getting back together with an old friend :)

That's a really nice box! It's a spectacular end grain turning of mesquite. Nice details too, well executed! Glad to see you're getting back to it!! It's making me excited to go get pics of my first turning after the "moving/shop building hiatus" I've been on. You guys will definitely think it's strange :D (I certainly do)

Good to see you Roger!

charlie knighton
04-01-2013, 7:40 AM
sorry for your loss. i like your box, and anything mesquite. expect anything from Jerry to be great wood, but its going to be quite hard, the west enviroment is just so different form ours in the east. jerry is a wood hound, among others on the forum, it is always interesting to see what they find.

Roger Chandler
04-01-2013, 7:57 AM
I just wish I could have had the time to turn something substantial.......of course being able to utilize this piece of mesquite was a bit of a joy, even though it was small........I really appreciated Jerry's generosity when I got that chuck plate from him.........he filled the box with some wood, and I still have a piece of olive wood from him, but it has a large crack in it.....likely, it will have to go to pen blanks and maybe one small box.

These last few months have been really busy.......I still have a long list of things I need to do, but I just have to take them one day at a time, but at least some of the major things are behind me now. Looks like spring is about to break upon us [the robins have showed up in the last 3 weeks, and when they arrive, it seems like the weather starts to warm] then all the outside things have to be done........one major thing.......powerwashing the house and deck.......then sealing it.

I am also taking the courses from our Community College......"Artists in Business" to see if I want to begin transitioning from strictly hobbyist to selling my work.........I always seem to have time constraints, but it will be good for the future, even if I don't do it this year.

Good to hear from you Rick and Charlie........thanks Bernie!

Rick Markham
04-01-2013, 1:06 PM
After you take that class you should take some other Art classes (especially if there are some talented professors.) One of my biggest joys of going to the local community college was figuring out that their art department was full of cool stuff and cool like minded professors/instructors. Take some of your turnings with you, I guarantee you will make a friend! My experience has been is that many of them are woodworkers too!

Roger Chandler
04-01-2013, 1:19 PM
After you take that class you should take some other Art classes (especially if there are some talented professors.) One of my biggest joys of going to the local community college was figuring out that their art department was full of cool stuff and cool like minded professors/instructors. Take some of your turnings with you, I guarantee you will make a friend! My experience has been is that many of them are woodworkers too!

That was one of the reasons I turned this box.....on Wednesday, the class meets again and I think I will take about 3 items to show the instructor! I don't want to have to lug around big items, so small -ish was my thinking!

Jerry Marcantel
04-01-2013, 9:44 PM
I feel bad about your loss, Roger....

Mesquite isn't really hard. I think it draws up silica, or something like that from the soil while it's growing. It dulls tools quickly, in some cases. Sometimes it dulls my Thompson gouge in one or two passes, and another piece will let me shape the whole thing inside and outside before sharpening.
You did that little piece of Mesquite justice. Those small pieces like that is my barbecue wood....... Good luck in your class, and transitioning to Artist...... You'll get there if you're serious.......Jerry (in Tucson)

Roger Chandler
04-01-2013, 9:48 PM
I feel bad about your loss, Roger....

Mesquite isn't really hard. I think it draws up silica, or something like that from the soil while it's growing. It dulls tools quickly, in some cases. Sometimes it dulls my Thompson gouge in one or two passes, and another piece will let me shape the whole thing inside and outside before sharpening.
You did that little piece of Mesquite justice. Those small pieces like that is my barbecue wood....... Good luck in your class, and transitioning to Artist...... You'll get there if you're serious.......Jerry (in Tucson)

Thanks Jerry......appreciated!

Tim Rinehart
04-02-2013, 2:08 PM
Hey Roger, sorry to hear of loss in the family, that's always tough.
Your box looks great, it's giving me an itch to dig thru and find some mesquite I have somewhere. I like the soft finish on this, and using mesquite for a box is a good decision on it's stability.
I've also encountered wood that must have sucked in more silica than water and couldn't keep the tools sharp for more tha a few passes. It happens. Good luck with the class.

Nathan Clark
04-02-2013, 2:27 PM
I Like the burn line right on the seam. It does a great job of hiding the seam, and makes it interesting.

Roger Chandler
04-02-2013, 3:34 PM
Hey Roger, sorry to hear of loss in the family, that's always tough.
Your box looks great, it's giving me an itch to dig thru and find some mesquite I have somewhere. I like the soft finish on this, and using mesquite for a box is a good decision on it's stability.
I've also encountered wood that must have sucked in more silica than water and couldn't keep the tools sharp for more tha a few passes. It happens. Good luck with the class.

Thanks Tim......I like the soft finish the Mahoney's walnut oil gave this box as well.......the more I use it, the better I am liking it!

David C. Roseman
04-03-2013, 2:22 PM
Very nice, Roger! The subtle flare of the sides at the bottom and top adds elegance to an already attractive piece.

David

Roger Chandler
04-03-2013, 2:58 PM
Very nice, Roger! The subtle flare of the sides at the bottom and top adds elegance to an already attractive piece.

David

Thanks David!