PDA

View Full Version : Another Clamp Storage Idea

CPeter James
05-10-2005, 7:55 PM
This is what I did to corral the clamps in my shop. It is on casters so I can roll it out of the way when I don't need the clamps right at hand.

CPeter

Jerry Olexa
05-10-2005, 8:16 PM
Very nice and good looking too!

David Fried
05-10-2005, 8:58 PM
I like it!

I current have mine hanging on a wooden ladder used to get into the attic. The two problems with this are that I need to remove all the clamps to use the ladder and it is difficult to put the clamps on the upper rungs, the clamps open up. Storing them upside down like that seems to be the solution. I might "borrow" your idea!

Thanks.

CPeter James
05-10-2005, 9:57 PM
Notice that it is two sided with room for 8 pipe clamps in the middle between the Bessys.

CPeter

James Biddle
05-10-2005, 11:15 PM
I see those Irwins on the side. IMHO, that space would be better occupied by more Bessy's or something equivelent. I haven't found a project yet that I say, "Yeah, those Irwins worked really well." Notwithstanding, the Irwins performed even better than the HF version, which never ended up having a "rubber" on it even though I knew it did at the start. Regadless, neither will stay compressed on anything that has a side or shock load.

Dennis McDonaugh
05-10-2005, 11:48 PM
Nice cart CPeter.

James, I have a bunch of those Irwins and you are corrrect, they don't stand up to shock or side loads, but nonetheless they are handy to have around the shop. I clamp my router table fence and drill press table with them. They also hold drawers I'm dovetailing and letter carving stock. I couldn't live without them.

Steve Roxberg
05-11-2005, 12:06 AM
WHAT, it's full. You'll have to build another one immediately, you can never have enough clamps. :)

Dale Rodabaugh
05-11-2005, 5:39 AM
Thats a great setup.My shop is quite long and narrow,with the clamps on a rack at one end.Everytime I clamp something up it means a few trips to the other end of the shop.Hope you dont mind if I copy your idea.:( :( :(

Jeff Sudmeier
05-11-2005, 8:17 AM
Nice looking clamp rack there! I have been thinking of a rolling clamp rack to free up some wall space. I have a nice little corner that rolling rack would fit right into.

Thanks for the ideas!

CPeter James
05-11-2005, 9:01 AM
The rack is not full, there is still room for 6 more Besseys. I use the Quick Grips to hold things in place until I can get something more permanent. I work alone and find that they are fast and can be done one handed. I have a bunch of vise grip type clamps (Like the Kreg ones) that I like as they really hold well.

CPeter

John M. Cioffi
05-11-2005, 10:23 AM
Nice job on the rack;but don't think it stops there!!

Pretty soon, you'll be building one twice as big for the "sale" you won't be able to resist!! You can NEVER have enough clamps!!!
Enjoy.
John

Ellen Benkin
05-11-2005, 11:32 AM
I like this design because it maximizes the use of space. It's a great idea to use all four sides of the rack and to keep it low to the ground. I have my clamps on the wall, but I may need to use the wall space for cabinets and this would be a good clamp solution.

Bill Lewis
05-11-2005, 12:25 PM
Ok, what do you do when you run out of wall AND floor space? aAcK!

Charlie Jones
05-11-2005, 1:13 PM
I need to build one of those. I use a cue stick rack I recovered from an old building. Its overwhelmed now and clamps are everywhere.

Paul Geer
05-11-2005, 4:43 PM
That's how I store my Besseys, just like what you did, and even under a window, how about that! But it looks like you built clamp rack on wheels, mine hangs on the wall.