PDA

View Full Version : Black Cherry HF

Steve Schlumpf
03-31-2013, 3:41 PM
Here's one I came across in my storage area that I had forgotten to take a photo of!

Black Cherry HF, 8” diameter x 3 7/8” high x less than 1/8” thick, sanded to 320 grit and was given several coats of gloss wipe-on poly, buffed and lightly coated with Renaissance wax.

As always, your opinions, comments and/or critiques are welcomed!

Thanks for looking!

Jerry Marcantel
03-31-2013, 3:55 PM
Hey Steve, if it's still cold in Michigan, just toss that thing in the fireplace. It might keep you warm for a few minutes. lol. Nice looking form, though, so maybe you oughta just keep it.... Have you done any forms like that with a small flare. Not a roadside flare, but a neck flare. Like a redneck flare... hehehe. I'm on a roll, someone, please stop me..... Jerry (in Tucson)..

Anthony Diodati
03-31-2013, 3:56 PM
It's beautiful, I was gonna show the cherry bowl I did, but that puts mine to shame.

Jerry Marcantel
03-31-2013, 4:00 PM
It's beautiful, I was gonna show the cherry bowl I did, but that puts mine to shame.

The only people that puts someones work to shame is the person making the item they "Think" they are ashamed of. (Jerry Marcantel, 3-31-2013) ............. Jerry (in Tucson)

Dennis Nagle
03-31-2013, 4:26 PM
That is a great finish. After painting custom bikes for years, I still love a glass finish.

Doug W Swanson
03-31-2013, 6:53 PM
Beautiful!

Greg Just
03-31-2013, 6:57 PM
very nice Steve

BILL DONAHUE
03-31-2013, 7:29 PM
Nice work! It must be a dark storage area for the wood to have remained so light. My cherry pieces don't hold that color very long when exposed to light.

Anthony Diodati
03-31-2013, 7:56 PM
The only people that puts someones work to shame is the person making the item they "Think" they are ashamed of. (Jerry Marcantel, 3-31-2013) ............. Jerry (in Tucson)

actually it's not bad, but no where as nice as that.

Clive Mamby
03-31-2013, 8:45 PM
Beautiful form....love the finish!!!

Steve Schlumpf
03-31-2013, 8:55 PM
Anthony - that is a good looking bowl! Be sure to start your own thread with this one so folks can see the fine work you are doing!! Seriously - good looking bowl!

Hayes Rutherford
03-31-2013, 8:55 PM
Sweet form Steve. Great color to that cherry.

Greg Bender
03-31-2013, 9:24 PM
Steve,
great looking hollow form, and I also love that finish on the right piece and that is one of those pieces.
BTW, Anthony, that is a great looking bowl ,nothing to be ashamed of. I would be claiming that as one of my own if I had it.
Greg

David DeCristoforo
03-31-2013, 9:50 PM
Here's an interesting thing. There are many turners who make hollow forms, and so many that "emulate" each other in one way or another. But some forms just seem to announce their makers at the first glance. This was instantly recognizable. No question who the maker was. It's a "classic" Steve Schlumpf form. And it's a beauty. I especially like the way the figure kind of rolls over the shoulder of the form.

Rick Markham
04-01-2013, 1:25 AM
David's right, It's distinctly yours! It's got that Sweet Schlumpf line that disappears perfectly under the form. The finish is equally masterful. The photography and your use of the reflections along the side really show how flawless and delicately thin the finish is. A real "triple threat!" Awesome Steve!

Faust M. Ruggiero
04-01-2013, 8:10 AM
It's always a pleasure to see your work, Steve. Your pieces are identified somewhat by your style but always by your attention to detail, right down to the quality of your photographs.
faust