PDA

View Full Version : Shop made tool rest

Anthony Diodati
03-31-2013, 3:12 PM
I saw this for sale on line, and made my own version.
It is for cleaning up the bottom of box's, so the tool don't have to hang over the tool rest too far.
I need to get a small mill, the counter bore is sort of a hack job. but it should do.
I cut the 1/2 stock out on my 14" delta wood metal band saw, only had to file it a small bit.
Faced off the 1" stock on the Logan metal lathe, and drilled and taped on the lathe.
Did the counter bore in the drill press, only had a 3/8" end mill, 1/2" would have been better, could have drill/milled it in one shot.

Jerry Marcantel
03-31-2013, 3:49 PM
You're getting there, Tony, even though you don't have all the proper tools. You should have seen my first round hole done on a mill.. It looked a lot worse than yours. That rest is going to be added to the list of one of my next tool to make, but I have access to all the tools and welding equipment needed for that stuff. .... What lathe do you have? That banjo sure looks a lot like mine, but the spacers on the ways don't........ Jerry (in Tucson)

Robert Edington
03-31-2013, 4:27 PM
Hi,
I love it when people make their own tools. I wish I had the vision and aptitude for making them. I do have a question. I see how this is to work. However, I envision a lot of torque on the end of the rest. All that torque will be on the head of that one screw, I think. Or maybe there is some structure I can't see. I may be wrong about what I see. I think you did a great job however.

Jeff Gilfor
03-31-2013, 5:21 PM
I agree about the torque. Couldn't you have just as easily used a single steel rectangle attache at one end to the post?
It looks pretty beefy though. Maybe you'll be fine. It's for boxes after all; not giant HF's.

Anthony Diodati
03-31-2013, 6:53 PM
Hi,
I love it when people make their own tools. I wish I had the vision and aptitude for making them. I do have a question. I see how this is to work. However, I envision a lot of torque on the end of the rest. All that torque will be on the head of that one screw, I think. Or maybe there is some structure I can't see. I may be wrong about what I see. I think you did a great job however.

I agree about the torque. Couldn't you have just as easily used a single steel rectangle attache at one end to the post?
It looks pretty beefy though. Maybe you'll be fine. It's for boxes after all; not giant HF's.

No, just the 5/16 bolt. I just made like the one I saw for sale. There's was shaped like that too. Not sure what size bolt they were using. Looked like it could have been 5/16 or 3/8" bolt on there's.
I don't see there being a lot of torque on the rest.
Although, I have not used the rest yet.
I guess it's OK to link to it, after all, I am not making these to sell or anything.
http://www.jtturningtools.com/offset-toolrest

Anthony Diodati
03-31-2013, 6:59 PM
Thanks Jerry, That is a Delta banjo, But an Oliver lathe. The banjo was missing, I had a jet banjo for a while, but thought the delta banjo looked better, and I brought some delta tool rests at the same time.

You're getting there, Tony, even though you don't have all the proper tools. You should have seen my first round hole done on a mill.. It looked a lot worse than yours. That rest is going to be added to the list of one of my next tool to make, but I have access to all the tools and welding equipment needed for that stuff. .... What lathe do you have? That banjo sure looks a lot like mine, but the spacers on the ways don't........ Jerry (in Tucson)

James Combs
03-31-2013, 10:33 PM
I like making my own tools also. If I didn't already have a Mini-Monster system which works well for the same purpose I would make myself one of these. That being said I just had the thought that I could make one anyway for those times I need just a "quickie" touch-up in the bottom of something. It would be much faster to set up than the Monster.

Thom Sturgill
04-01-2013, 7:17 AM
Since you posted the link, I will make a comment. JT has a notice that the tool rest is being re-designed and the picture at the top does not show the bolt. I wonder did he find that that was too weak and go to a fixed post?

Anthony Diodati
04-01-2013, 12:09 PM
That is possible. Maybe I will get a weld on it too.
Thanks,
Tony

Since you posted the link, I will make a comment. JT has a notice that the tool rest is being re-designed and the picture at the top does not show the bolt. I wonder did he find that that was too weak and go to a fixed post?