PDA

View Full Version : 1" bandsaw blade?

Greg Urwiller
03-31-2013, 11:50 AM
Some time ago I picked up a used Grizzly 1073 16" bandsaw. It came with a 1/2" blade installed and also had a new 1" blade. I haven't been able to use it much, the 1/2" blade was dull and wouldn't cut anything. That is, I hope it was just the blade! Anyway, I ran onto the 1" blade again the other day in the cabinet. I suppose the original owner bought it for resawing. But reading here, no one uses that wide of blade. What good, if anything, is this blade? Greg

Scott T Smith
03-31-2013, 12:10 PM
Greg, a high quality 1" band would be one of my first choices for resawing. For everything else, I prefer a narrow band (I keep a 3/8" band in my 17" saw) as I usually use my bandsaw for sawing curves, etc. and the narrow band provides a tighter turning radius.

David Kumm
03-31-2013, 12:28 PM
1" is a good size for resawing but the 16" saw might not be able to handle it. Dave

Greg Urwiller
03-31-2013, 12:38 PM
That's kind of what I'm getting at. The 1" blade is too big for a 16" bandsaw isn't it? It's probably worthless for this saw then and really won't do me any good to keep it?

David Kumm
03-31-2013, 12:44 PM
Have you tried it? Sometimes you can get a decent cut under lower tension- at least when new. Steel blades don't need as much tension as carbide. Dave

joe milana
03-31-2013, 12:55 PM
I unknowingly bought a 1" steel blade for a 17" saw once. I used it to rip 4/4 and 5/4 rough hard maple. It worked just fine for that, but developed a crack & broke (not at the weld) after a couple months. Just too much blade for that size saw I guess. It was a cheap blade, and I got alot of use out of it in those two months so not a huge loss.

George Babij
03-31-2013, 1:04 PM
Generally 1" Blades are meant for Bandsaws with Larger Wheels. The 1" Blade is probably .035 thick while the 1/2" blade is likely .025 and will flex around a smaller wheel. The 1" will work, but will develop stress cracks and will Break in short order.
George

Richard Coers
03-31-2013, 1:14 PM
A blade in the hand is worth two................Anyway, internet advice can only go so far. Put the thing on the saw and try it. What do you have to loose. With a properly tuned machine, and the experience of what works well, a 1/2" blade is plenty wide for resawing. It's the tooth count that can't be compromised.

Bill Space
03-31-2013, 4:05 PM
Hi,

I have a 1" Timberwolf blade on my 18" Grizzly bandsaw, older saw (15 years old, or more) made in Taiwan model, without a model number on it that I can see...

Anyway, it has been on the saw for years...and although not used that much, it performs quite well when I use the saw from what I can see. I use the saw for cutting thicker stock, having a smaller one with a narrower blade for other things.

I am not sure how significant the difference is between the 16" and 18" diameter wheels would be though.

Tai Fu
03-31-2013, 10:48 PM
I think it also depends on the steel too, I heard older 1" Trimasters would break from fatigue on a 18" wheel because their steel was too stiff. Then Lenox changed their steel to make it more flexible and it works on 18" bandsaws now... I heard of people using 1" Woodmaster CT on a MM16 so it must work...

Dave Cav
03-31-2013, 10:57 PM
I have a 1" Laguna Resaw King carbide tooth running on a Grizzly 17". I got it in 2010 on a SMC deal and have had no problems with it.

Harold Burrell
04-01-2013, 8:35 AM
Put the thing on the saw and try it.

That about sums it up. It's surely not going to hurt the saw...and it won't cost you anything to try it (except a little of your time).

Gus Dundon
04-02-2013, 11:43 AM
I don't think 1" blade would work well for resawing.

Mike Tekin
04-02-2013, 4:52 PM
This works because the resaw kings have a much narrower band width than a traditional carbide band at that size.

I have a 1" Laguna Resaw King carbide tooth running on a Grizzly 17". I got it in 2010 on a SMC deal and have had no problems with it.