PDA

View Full Version : My New Lathe, Finally

Greg Bender
03-31-2013, 8:08 AM
I picked up my 3520 on Friday and got it together on Saturday. Got it dirty as soon as possible so the pictures would be more authentic. I thought I knew what smooth was.... Now I know what everybody else has been bragging about. Definitely worth the wait.

Brian Libby
03-31-2013, 8:26 AM
Congrats, very good choice-I love mine.

Jeff Gilfor
03-31-2013, 8:30 AM
Congrats! Don't know what you had before, but if it was a mini like I had before I got my full sized monster, it is a whole new ball game isn't it? Nice to be able to mount a log and rough it out at faster than 20 RPM, without bouncing the stand apart!

You gonna' love it!

Greg Just
03-31-2013, 8:42 AM
Congratulations - enjoy the new toy

Thom Sturgill
03-31-2013, 9:26 AM
I have a Jet 1642 (upgraded from a 1220) and have turned on a 3520B. I know how nice a machine that is, and am jealous! Maybe in another year...

Steve Schlumpf
03-31-2013, 9:49 AM
Congrats on your new lathe Greg! Looks great!

charlie knighton
03-31-2013, 10:01 AM
congratulations, enjoy

Marc Himes
03-31-2013, 10:10 AM
It' a great lathe. I have had mine for about 6 years now and still love it. Congratulations.

Alan Trout
03-31-2013, 10:27 AM
Congratulations on the new lathe. Looks like fun.

Alan

bob svoboda
03-31-2013, 11:18 AM
Great choice-wouldn't trade mine.

Brian Kent
03-31-2013, 3:37 PM
Thom and others, what is the difference in experience between a lathe like the Jet 1642 and the Powermatic?

Tim Rinehart
03-31-2013, 10:58 PM
Congrats Greg. I'm sure that lathe will serve you a long time.

Dennis Nagle
03-31-2013, 11:59 PM
That has to be the very best bang for the buck in wood lathes. Congrats!!!

Mike Cruz
04-01-2013, 12:08 AM
Looks great in there, Greg! Not enough "o's" in smoooooooooth to describe the feeling, huh?

Rick Markham
04-01-2013, 12:41 AM
Congrats Greg! Welcome to the Mustard Monster Club! I LOVE mine :D

mark ravensdale
04-01-2013, 6:54 AM
Congrats mate!!!
i just got my new 3520b last week, it's a fantastic lathe, but boy was it heavy, it nearly killed me getting it into my shop (had no body to help me) but it was worth it, on Friday I put on a big piece of wet chestnut 14-15inch that was VERY out of balance and I was able to start turning at 300+ rpm, on my old dvrxp I know for a fact I would have been down at around 120-150 rpm, I made a shelf for mine out of two 2inch chrome steel bars (cutting them went through 3 grinding disks!!!) and some 3/4inch plywood and then used it to put some more weight on, it now weighs in at just over 1200lbs:D

Have fun and get that wood spinning!!!

Dick Mahany
04-01-2013, 8:59 PM
Congrats big time Greg ! By all measures, that PM is an excellent tool. Glad to see you already got it working for you. Enjoy.

Greg Bender
04-01-2013, 10:04 PM
Thanx to all and I will say that I never anticipated the difference between the 3520 and everything else I
've ever turned on. Now granted, I've not turned on the super lathes, but really I can only hope that I get to be as good at turning as this lathe is at what it does. I keep finding myself just standing there listening to how smooth and quiet it is. I have several projects in process and will post some pix soon.
BTW, if anybody has or knows somebody that has an 18" bed extension for sale I'm interested bigtime. I have the extension for the banjo but need the bed part.

Bill Wyko
04-02-2013, 6:32 PM
I recently got a PM4224, I had the same experience. Going from a Jet 1442 to the PM 4224 was such a world of difference. every aspect of the lathe is so much better. That's saying a lot too, the jet served me very, very well for many years. Unfortunately business slowed down and I had to take over the responsibilities for previous employees so I haven't had much lathe time. That will change in a couple weeks though. I know you are going to love your new Mustard, you just can't go wrong with a PM lathe.

Mike Cruz
04-02-2013, 7:15 PM
Greg, the super lathes are definitely the crème de la crème. No doubt. But what they offer over the PM3520B or the PM4224B are more...subtleties. For instance the bed is stainless steel instead of cast iron. What does that mean? It won't rust. Um, okay, but you won't "feel" it. The swing of the AM is 25", not 20". But do you have wood/get wood that is over 20"? And really, the Robust AB is compared to the PM4224B, not the PM3520B, anyway. Both of the PMs have a digital tach, the AM doesn't. So, there is plus one for the PM. You've got yourself a very well tuned sports car. It is very well engineered and powered. Are there sportier ones? Sure. But you aren't driving a Chevy here (note, I do drive a Chevy...literally, so no disrespect to Chevy owners), you are driving a Beamer. Are they sportier cars than Beamers? Sure, depending on your driving capabilities (turning capabilities), you may not even notice the difference. And I'm not putting myself on a pedestal. I've turned on both. Appreciated both. Other than swing capacity and knowledge about the SS ways, did I "feel" the difference? Not really. Yes I appreciate(d) the AB's "feel". But whether or not it is "worth" another $4000 is up to the turner.

You've got yourself one heck of a lathe. Turn, baby, turn!

Greg Bender
04-03-2013, 12:13 PM
Mike, Bill and Dick,
Well stated and I agree with all. It has been all that my expectations were elevated to in reading post after post about the 3520. If my abilities go up to the point that I'm at Steve's (Schlumpf) level of turning then I will start convincing my wife that I have in fact outgrew the 3520 and need to look at a "super lathe". I do not see that happening anytime soon.Ironically Mike, I've been finishing some miniature birdhouse ornaments that give me the sensation of trying to find a knat on a cow's butt.
Greg

Brian Kent
04-03-2013, 12:25 PM
Greg, your experience and the many responses here tell me that your lathe is also my target to aim at. I don't anticipate upgrading for many years, but smooth and quiet are what I appreciate most on my little Delta 46-460. If or when I move up, I will be looking for smooth and quiet with large capacity. Sounds like that is what you have found and others have affirmed.