PDA

View Full Version : good deal on planes?

Jack Wood
05-10-2005, 5:34 PM
I have the opportunity to buy a Stanley #4 and Stanley Bailey #5 for $50 for the pair. They look brand new and have all the parts. I have them set to the side at an antique store that specializes in tools, is this a good deal?:confused: I bought a Jorgensen #2 wood clamp there for $11 that looked like it had been used just a few times:D

Dave Wright #2
05-10-2005, 5:51 PM
That's a reasonably good deal, even if they are Type 20, presuming you don't mind the tuning that will be required to get them working. It's an even better buy if they are Type 17 or earlier. You might want to check them out closely with a reliable straightedge to see how much the sole will have to be flattened and if the frog needs a lot of work.

Dan Forman
05-10-2005, 6:02 PM
Scuttlebut is that they started to go downhill around WW2. If they are pre-war, and in reasonable shape, it's a good deal. Here is a link to an article by David Charlesworth on rehabbing planes. It is found at the bottom of the linked page. Lots of other info on that website as well. http://www.rexmill.com/

Our own Bob Smalser has posted several things on refurbishing planes, which can be found with the search function. Best look over in the neander forum.

Dan