PDA

View Full Version : Quidditch Chest

Anthony Albano
03-30-2013, 7:00 PM
I received a commission for a Quidditch chest with accessories. It needed to look vintage and have a hidden compartment in the Golden Snitch. After finding out what that all meant (I rented the first Harry Potter movie) this is what we came up with.

pls let me know what you think. Thanks258551

Dale Coons
03-30-2013, 7:05 PM
very nice--ought to please any HP fan!

Larry Heflin
03-30-2013, 9:05 PM
Nice integration of skills. You are multi-talented.

Peter J Lee
03-30-2013, 11:43 PM
Wow, that's a lot of work. It does have a vintage feel to it. I was thinking of doing some smaller pieces that use straps and I've been looking at pictures that often leads to trunk hardware. It rarely seems to use screws. Maybe I'm wrong. What were your thoughts on that?

Anthony Albano
03-31-2013, 8:43 AM
Thanks for the kind replies. Peter I was going to use rivets for the strap hardware, but decided against it because I was out of time. If you peen one end of a metal rod, slide it in a predrilled hole, you can peen the other end against some type of anvil. Use screws to hold the strap down and remove them as you add the rivets. The chest has standard leaf hinges that I torched and quenched to change the color. The metal straps butt against the actual hinges but arent really attached to them.

John McClanahan
03-31-2013, 9:00 AM
From the photo the box looks really vintage, not just a new box, beat up to look old. I like the slide show of the progress. Very nice!

John

Peter J Lee
03-31-2013, 10:42 AM
Thanks for that info Anthony. Ironically, what got me thinking about doing some straps was that I have a lot of oak trimmings from a couple big projects and thought of doing some reduced dimension Arts & Crafts style things and using them for the population of plants in here.

So the saving of the bits could lead to me spending on supplies or a tool or two. Hey that's never happened before.

Again, impressive work on your part and definitely a unique challenge.

Mike McCann
03-31-2013, 1:46 PM
that is awesome.

glenn bradley
03-31-2013, 1:52 PM
Very cool. Great look of age without going too far. The decorative items look terrific and I love the way the joinery shows through.

Anthony Albano
04-05-2013, 9:30 AM
Thanks for the nice replies; just received a commission for another one!

Paul Saffold
04-05-2013, 1:31 PM
Really nice, Anthony. I just started re-reading the HP series. The first reading was about 10-12 years ago. Great details and finishing.
Paul

Mike Allen1010
04-09-2013, 10:17 PM
Very nice Anthony! Your chest looks very authentic and I think the combination of the form, colors, details and "aged" finish are perfect.

Plus, anything with a hidden compartment is by definition cool! I can see why you've been asked to build another one.

I hope you post more of your work.

All the best, Mike

Shelby Stein
10-26-2015, 10:38 AM
I am very interested in commissioning you to make me one as well! You did an amazing job! Thank you!

James Dudley
10-26-2015, 11:11 AM
I am very interested in commissioning you to make me one as well! You did an amazing job!

Yeah I'm curious what something like this would run as well. It's very well done! I imagine a lot of time went into it. Hope the rate is worth it!

Anthony Albano
10-27-2015, 8:25 PM
Thanks for the great comments! These take so long that after the first two, I am burned out on making anymore.... Here is my latest project, a wooden six-pack humidor. Twist one of the wooden bottles and the top lifts out to open a spanish cedar lined box. I am working on a custom laser engraved one for a wedding gift. The original in on my zitiworks.com site