PDA

View Full Version : DeWalt 735 & vac system?

Jerry Crawford
05-10-2005, 5:17 PM
Considering the volume of chips and the force behind the blower in this machine does anyone have a recommended home shop type VAC system that will keep up with this planer?

Jules Dominguez
05-10-2005, 10:49 PM
Jerry, I recently got one of the 735's and it does indeed blow the planer shavings out with considerable velocity. The first time I used it I set it on top of my table saw, rolled it to the double door in my basement shop and let it blow the chips outside. I did that when I was planing 2x4's to make a mobile stand for the planer.
I've since made the stand, purchased the dust hose and fabric cover that is the 735 dust collection accessory. I put the fabric cover on a 32 gallon plastic garbage can. The hose needs to come down at a fairly steeply angle into the garbage can, so I supported the hose from the ceiling in an inverted V configuration with a strap. It catches all of the chips, but of course fine dust leaks through the fabric. Not enough to bother me, because I don't spend that much time planing - usually just enough boards at the beginning of a project to do the project with, and I spend more time designing and scratching my head than I do cutting. If I have a lot of planing to do at one time I'll probably roll the planer to the door and put the garbage can outside. I installed the extension tables and have two portable single-roller stands, so the whole rig is easy to move around. My tablesaw is also on rollers so I can move it out of the way when I need to.
This arrangement works for me and cost about $50. I wouldn't recommend it for a production shop or anyone who does a lot of planing, but I couldn't justify the cost and space requirement of a dust collector for the amount of use I would give it.

James Biddle
05-10-2005, 11:05 PM
I used to use a Shop Vac, but the chips kept blowing through the filter bag, filling it in a board or two. Now I have it hooked up to my DC with a 4" hose to a 6" main and it works MUCH better. Another thing, I used to get a lot of static shocks from the Shop Vac hose, but I don't get any from the DC hose even though neither are grounded.

Jeff Sudmeier
05-11-2005, 8:07 AM
I used to use my craftsman planer, with a blower, with the garbage can fabric cover. It worked great! In fact my uncle is now using the garbage can set up on his planer. I don't use it anymore because I got a dc.

jay hanks
05-11-2005, 11:03 AM
I have that planner and I think De Walt doesnt recommend using a shop vac with it, DC yes. I could be wrong but check your manual. When I got mine I got the hose and fabric cover and with a trash can it works well.

Jerry Crawford
05-11-2005, 1:01 PM
I'm going to have to do more searching because I don't know what the fabric cover and hose for a trash can looks like. Thanks

jay hanks
05-12-2005, 10:53 AM
Jerry, I have not found a picture but here is a link to DeWalt's website that gives a description of the collector.

Dewalt web site (http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/attachment_detail.asp?productID=6360)