PDA

View Full Version : Looking for box plans suitable for travel

Chris Schumann
03-30-2013, 1:59 PM
Hello! Been far too long since I've been here.

My lovely partner has asked me to build a box. We travel to historical recreation events by car, and want a box to hold our dishes to be used during feasts: plates, bowls, eating and serving utensils, drinkware and the like. Plus, the box should be of suitable height and build to be used as a seat for a substantial person. The box will also be used outdoors at times, so box should have legs.

I'm happy to buy (and perhaps modify) plans, but am having trouble identifying one to start with. I'm not comfortable winging it, especially when it comes to joinery and hardware.

Any tips or suggestions are most appreciated.

Mike Cutler
03-30-2013, 2:18 PM
Chris

Off the top of my head, I would recommend that you look at Tack trunks, horses, These are built pretty rugged, and you can definitely sit on one.
Your challenge will be the weight of the trunk itself. If you know that you'll be toting it around, and having to "manhandle" it a lot, I would build it from Sitka Spruce. If Sitka Spruce plywood can function as the nosepiece of an ICBM, and it does ( damhikt ), it will handle your requirements.

Here is a trunk I made for my wife that you may get some ideas from. The plans are readily available.
Don't use the wood selection I did, because this trunk weighs a ton, empty.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?46908-Blanket-Chest-Tack-Trunk&highlight=

Stew Hagerty
03-30-2013, 3:11 PM
There were a couple of magazine articles recently that immediately came to mind. I thought of them specifically because you said you will be using it to go to historical recreations. The first one was just in the Feb 2013 issue of Woodworker's Journal. It's a Steamer Trunk. The second was from the August 2012 issue of Popular Woodworking. That one was about Campaign Furniture.

Now neither of the pieces in these articles have legs, which was one of your requirements. But... If you were to use one of these as an inspiration for design elements, I imagine you would end up with a piece that would be the envy of every other participant.

Just my humble opinion of course.