PDA

View Full Version : Unisaw Advice...Is this the right forum?

Jim Tabor
03-30-2013, 10:25 AM
Looking for a little advice on a Unisaw that I’ve been refurbishing. Have it reassembled except for the fence. I have both a Biesemeyer and Unifence with the 30-32 inch rails. If you were looking to buy a Unisaw, which fence would you prefer?
Also have a Biesemeyer T Square guard that I could install. Would that add any value? Personally I wouldn’t want it. Not sure how others feel. Thanks for the feedback.

Joe Kieve
03-30-2013, 10:30 AM
Not familiar with unifence but have the 52" Biesmeyer on my Uni and I love it. Only resaon I have it though is it was on the saw when I bought it. Went from old Delta jetlock to Bies.

joe

David Kumm
03-30-2013, 10:59 AM
If you intend to use the miter gauge and crosscut much the unifence is really nice. When Delta bought Beisemeyer they kind of abandoned the Unifence although it is a very nice unit. I think it was more expensive to manufacture since they moved the Beis stuff to Asia and couldn't justify a premium price for it. The high low fence and the ability to move it forward are big deals even though I still like the Beis. Dave

John Piwaron
03-30-2013, 11:08 AM
I've always used the Biesemeyer fence. Even on my long gone Craftsman TS. In fact, it was a Biesemeyer fence that turned that saw from a dog into a gem.

That said, a Biesemeyer is a good fence, but so is the Unifence. I just can't compare them. I think I'll always use the Biesemeyer in part 'cause I have jigs that ride on it.

Eric DeSilva
03-30-2013, 11:21 AM
I thought the Bies fence was a higher cost add-on over the unifence, so if you are concerned with value, I'd go Bies. I like mine. I also have--and use--the T square overarm guard. That is an expensive add-on if you buy if from Delta new, and it is a pretty functional guard. I swapped out the plastic guard with one from Sharkguard, since I wanted a 4" DC port--an upgrade I'd recommend. Why don't you like the guard? You have to lift it out of the way for certain operations, but for standard ripping and cross cuts, seems like a good precaution.

Rich Riddle
03-30-2013, 12:37 PM
No question, the Biesemeyer fence. I have a Unisaw and have used both. THe Biesemeyer works far better. You can go to OWWM's website if you need lots of help rebuilding your saw as long as it's 20 years or older and not an Asian model saw.

Jim Tabor
03-30-2013, 12:42 PM
Eric,
Just never had a saw that needed a T-square type of guard. It came with a second Unisaw I bought and didn't know what it was until I looked it up. I about fell over when I saw what they cost.

Joseph Tarantino
03-30-2013, 4:09 PM
+1 on the bies over the unifence, even though i personally like the unifence concept with it's adjustibility and variability. the unisaw i refurbished and sold for $800 didn't have either, and i wondered how much changing out the fence would have added to the saw's value.

Chris Rosenberger
03-30-2013, 6:05 PM
I always preferred the Unifence over the Biesemeyer. I have been using the Biesemeyer guards on my table saws for many years. I would not want a saw without those now.

scott spencer
03-30-2013, 6:22 PM
Which one is better is a matter of preference, but AFAIK the Biese was more popular.

Bill Geibe
03-30-2013, 8:05 PM
I've got the Unifence on mine. I like it's flexibility and it's high/low positions. Also, I have a short piece of fence that I use as a stop for crosscut operations with the miter gauge. (You can slide the long fence back to do this trick but it's kind of awkward) That being said, it's a heavy piece of aluminum and though it doesn't 'glide' on the rails like the fence on my Ridgid 3660 did, it's dead-on accurate all the time. There is also an aftermarket fence available for it: http://ptreeusa.com/uni_t_fence.htm that allows a lot of accessory attachments (I should get around to buying it one of these days). I have to note that I have no experience with the Biese so I can't give you a comparison, but the Unifence works well enough for me that I have no motivation to change to anything else.

Bill

Cary Falk
03-30-2013, 9:44 PM
I have a Beisemeyer clone. I used the Unifence and hated the way it locked down.

Joe Shinall
03-30-2013, 11:01 PM
I have the Unifence on mine. I would like to go to the Biesemeyer or the Vega, which is a lot like the Bies. I have no problems with my Unifence, but having that back rail to slide on a little easier and to me it's easier to make jigs for the Bies style. As soon as I can afford it I will be going with the Vega. I have no issues with the unifence, I bought the Uni-T fence attachment from Peachtree Woodworking http://ptreeusa.com/uni_t_fence.htm and have been satisfied with it but still would rather go Bies or Vega.

Rick Potter
03-31-2013, 12:54 AM
I have the Unifence on my saw (15-20 years). Some may remember a few years back when Lowes blew out their Beis HD fences. I bought two for $80 ea., the 30" ones with table board and all. I simply cannot make myself take off the Unifence.
I like it a lot. Con't call, I will use them for something eventually, like a dedicated dado saw.

I think many people out there don't adjust it correctly, the fence is not supposed to ride on the table, but on the nylon slider instead. I just stick a couple thin cardboard shims under the fence and then tighten the rail with the two knobs. Naturally I need to do it anytime I slide the face in and out, but it just takes a few seconds. It actually has a notice on my fence about this, maybe not on the newer ones?

Rick Potter

Charles Lent
03-31-2013, 7:02 AM
I have had both the Biesemeyer and the Unifence, but prefer the Unifence and have one on my present saw. I also have the Uni-T-Fence option from Peach tree for when I want to attach featherboards, etc. and the short Uni-T-Fence for use as a stop when cross cutting, etc. The high-low feature of the original Unifence is a great feature and I use it often.

Charley

Jerome Stanek
03-31-2013, 7:50 AM
I have used both and prefer the Unifence.

Jim Tabor
03-31-2013, 10:00 AM
Well it looks about 50-50 on the Biesemeyer vs Unifence, sort of like Ford vs Chevy. Not much comment on the T-Square blade guard, ( one positive, no negative) must not be a very popular item.

Rick Potter
03-31-2013, 1:09 PM
Jim,

I would sell the blade guard separately. It will probably net you more. Most people looking at saws have never seen one, but someone out there with a saw wants it.

About the fence...if you have both, and don't care which one you sell, put the Bies on it, more people are familiar with it, and want one.

Rick Potter

Jim Tabor
03-31-2013, 3:10 PM
Rick,
Sounds like good advice. In fact I have a person that may want my second Unisaw without a fence. Wants to use it as a dedicated dado saw for cabinets and says he doesn't need a fence. In that case, I'll offer Unisaw #1 with a choice of fences. And as you suggest try to sell the guard separately. I can then replace the old (whatever it's called fence with round rails) on Unisaw #3 with whatever is left....I think I have that straight. ;)

Mark Burnette
04-01-2013, 12:48 PM
I think many people out there don't adjust it correctly, the fence is not supposed to ride on the table, but on the nylon slider instead. I just stick a couple thin cardboard shims under the fence and then tighten the rail with the two knobs.
I keep a couple Formica samples on the wrench hook as temporary spacers. Glides super-smooth if you keep the rail just off the table.

The main complaint about the Unifence is its incompatibility with fixtures but the Uni-T-Fence fixes that and makes it handier than the Bies.

Rick Potter
04-02-2013, 12:27 AM
For a tall sacrificial fence board, and some fixtures which ride on it, I simply drilled three holes in the face of the fence and attach with countersunk flathead screws and plastic wing nuts. No problem for most things I want to attach, and a lot lighter than a Beis with a full surround attachment.

Rick Potter