PDA

View Full Version : Folding Shelf Bracket

Julie Moriarty
03-30-2013, 8:22 AM
I'm looking to either making something or buying something to attach to the side of a kitchen cabinet that will allow for the bracket to be folded down or away when not in use. The idea is to set a cutting board on the brackets or braces but not attach the cutting board to the brackets. I want to be able to use the cutting board in one part of the kitchen then take it over to the cooktop cabinet and set it on the brackets.

I've racked my brain trying to figure out how to make something that will work but, with a 24" cabinet depth, I might only be able to have 10" swing out brackets. I was hoping to be able to place an 18" wide cutting board on the brackets.

So far, about the best folding bracket I've found is this:
http://www.thehardwarehut.com/images/moreimages/shelfbracketsandsupports/sugatsune/sug-eb-303-main.jpg
It's 304 stainless steel and since it will be exposed when in the down position, won't be an eyesore, and it gets excellent ratings on customer reviews. The operation looks fairly simple. The only problem is it only extends 12" out. That would mean creating some way to secure the cabinet-facing edge of the cutting board so it won't tip off the bracket end or I'd have to make a smaller cutting board, something I'd rather not do.

Any ideas?

Jeff Qualmann
03-30-2013, 8:51 AM
KV has a 16" version of a folding bracket in both a zinc or white finish. Many commercial distributors will carry it, including Baer Supply near you.

http://www.wurthwoodgroup.com/KV-206-Folding-L-Bracket-P77384.aspx

Sam Murdoch
03-30-2013, 9:33 AM
As you write that you will attach these brackets to "the side" of a cabinet, does that mean that there is a wall perpendicular to the cabinet to which you could attach a permanent cleat as one support ? Then the other piece of the "bracket" could be made to fold away to the side of the cabinet - from the front to the back wall - mounted on a piano hinge and so could be 18" deep. You could store another piece on top of the cleat that would then be used to connect the two providing a catch for the swinging piece and front support as well.