PDA

View Full Version : Preventing glue from sticking to clamps.

Cody Armstrong
03-30-2013, 7:56 AM
Hey folks. I have a friend that used to work at a big cabinet shop that told me they would apply or spray a milky white substance on their clamps to prevent glue from sticking but couldn't remember the name. Does anyone here know what this is. With what I've been doing lately I use around fifty pipe clamps a day for glue ups and scraping them gets old. I've tried taping them but it's not worth the time. Using wax paper or saran wrap is out of the question. I've read that you can wax them. Haven't tried that yet. Was hoping to find the easiest solution for this. Otherwise I guess I'll keep on scraping.

Kevin Jenness
03-30-2013, 8:28 AM
Any kind of paste wax will work, as will dry (PTFE) spray lube. An occasional spot of oil on the screw threads and clamp head sockets is also a good idea.

peter gagliardi
03-30-2013, 8:34 AM
What you are looking for is made by UC Coatings, and it is called Bates Release Coating. Google anchorseal, and their site will come up. Word of caution, use sparingly, as it stays wet on clamps.

Cody Armstrong
03-30-2013, 8:44 AM
Thanks for the help and the quick response guys. Cheers :)

Nelson Howe
03-30-2013, 10:22 AM
I use fluorescent bulb covers from the Borg.

Nelson

Tony Joyce
03-30-2013, 11:24 AM
I use a TFE product from Sprayway. It works very well on clamps, also table tops to to reduce friction. It is a woodworker's lubricant. Used as a dry coating, lubricant & release agent. It does not affect finishes.

http://www.spraywayblack.com/products.php?id=SP-295

Tony

Larry Anderson
03-30-2013, 1:23 PM
I use a TFE product from Sprayway. It works very well on clamps, also table tops to to reduce friction. It is a woodworker's lubricant. Used as a dry coating, lubricant & release agent. It does not affect finishes.

http://www.spraywayblack.com/products.php?id=SP-295

Tony

Do you know where to get it in other than a case and without exorbitant shipping charges?

Howard Acheson
03-30-2013, 2:04 PM
>>>> I use fluorescent bulb covers from the Borg.

Yes, they work well and so do plastic shower rod covers. They have a split so they can easily slip over either pipe clamps or parallel clamps. I cut 5-6 sections so I can slide them directly under the glue line.

Using paste wax facilitates easy glue removal as does heat from a heat gun. But the best solution is to keep the adhesive off the clamp bars in the first place with some sort of cover.

Tai Fu
03-30-2013, 2:12 PM
If its wooden clamp just lacquer it... most woodworking glue wouldn't stick to a finished surface anyways except for epoxy. It's not a bad idea to put newspaper or something between the clamp and the wood... If its plastic clamp and you manage to get glue to stick to that... let me know what glue you used because it's really hard to glue metal and plastic.

Tony Joyce
03-30-2013, 3:05 PM
Do you know where to get it in other than a case and without exorbitant shipping charges?

Larry,
I can't speak to the shipping(mine was reasonable on 4 cans, but I'm in NC), but this is where I ordered the last I got. This product is essentially the same as Top-Cote, but much cheaper.

http://www.emisupply.com/catalog/sprayway-sp295-woodworkers-lubricant-p-9617.html

Tony Joyce

Larry Anderson
03-30-2013, 5:14 PM
Thanks Tony.

Curt Harms
03-31-2013, 9:48 AM

I just bought a can of PTFE (Teflon) lube at Lowes. It wasn't in the tool area but a guy in a red apron knew what I was talking about and where to find it.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_213197-39963-D00110101_0__?productId=1059839&Ntt=ptfe+lubricant&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dptfe%2Blubricant&facetInfo=

I haven't tried it on clamps. My concern with pipe clamps would be the clutch plates slipping.

Don Jarvie
03-31-2013, 12:09 PM
Wax paper. Slip a piece between the clamp and wood and the clamp wont stick and neither will the paper. A buck a roll at the dollar store.

Paul Saffold
03-31-2013, 12:19 PM
[QUOTE=Howard Acheson;2089900]>>>> I use fluorescent bulb covers from the Borg.

Yes, they work well and so do plastic shower rod covers. They have a split so they can easily slip over either pipe clamps or parallel clamps. I cut 5-6 sections so I can slide them directly under the glue line.

I like that idea. Thanks.
Paul

Harold Burrell
03-31-2013, 12:30 PM

I have no idea what this is...

Tai Fu
03-31-2013, 1:28 PM
I use newspaper because they're cheap, and wax paper is very expensive in Taiwan. One dollar for a 5 meter roll (I am not kidding!)