PDA

View Full Version : Planer table locks?

Wade Lippman
03-29-2013, 9:57 PM
I finally got dust collection to my new Griz 15" planer and have been playing with it.
The manual does not mention the table locks. I am going to guess you are supposed to set the height and lock the table; but that is an awful lot of work and I found it works without doing that.

Please fill me in on the proper method of doing this.

Jim Andrew
03-29-2013, 10:23 PM
I don't lock mine either. Doesn't move, so what is the need? How do you like yours? I'm impressed with the great design and the job it does. Now I can fill a barrel faster.

Bruce Page
03-30-2013, 12:01 AM
I always kept mine snugged and only locked them on the last pass.

Jamie Buxton
03-30-2013, 12:57 AM
On my planer, using the lock reduces snipe.

Mark Bolton
03-30-2013, 9:09 AM
I've said this here before and it's not really agreed upon widely but.. It's always been my understanding that true snipe is that which is caused by any flexure in the structure of the machine, not what occurs when your work is improperly supported on the infeed or outfeed sides of the machine. The locks are there to solidly fix the head of the machine to the posts in the event there is any slop and the head rocks over the board as it enters or leaves.

Again, this isn't the norm now as it seems everyone attributes snipe mostly to support. That said, I have had planers that snipe even when you lift the tip of the board extremely (on the outfeed). Even on small machines where your lifting the edge of the machine as well. This is the snipe that occurs from flex in the machine either from poor or weak design or wear.

The locks are there to deal with this in the event it happens though most just run a little extra stock and trim the snipe.

Even on large machines with big in/out feed tables a micrometer or when your in assembly, some snipe will be there so it's best to trim in my opinion.

glenn bradley
03-30-2013, 10:52 AM
Obey your manual. Always use your locks. An "awful lot of work"? Really? :) You don't mention the model but, on the G0453(Z) I do something like so; Run board, Set board on return rollers, Twist the two locks half a turn CCW, Crank the height wheel and Twist the two locks half a turn CW, Run board, Repeat. I doubt if it takes 2 seconds extra.

Mark Bolton
03-30-2013, 12:26 PM
I cant imagine the quantity of time it would add to my day if I had to crank four hand locks down every time I set a new thickness dimension while planing. I would either have carpel tunnel or the knobs would be worn to a high gloss. The only time I could ever see myself locking the knobs would be in some critical application where I was trying to get every inch of usable materail and for that I'd likely just lock the last pass or two. Even then I doubt I'd trust the last few inches if I had to.

I dont have a lot of problems with snipe but if it were something that stymied me a lot I'd be switching to a different machine.