PDA

View Full Version : Careful with the new Universal Driver 5.35.57.04

Scott Shepherd
03-29-2013, 7:23 PM
Just a quick heads up for any Universal power users. If you used Image Enhancements, mainly "tuning" to get your text razor sharp on various materials, the latest driver, 5.35.57.04 scrapped that slide bar and made it into a wizard that's in the system tab. Instead of having the tuning all saved and stored individually with each material you have saved, it now is a "one size fits all" and you'll have to tune materials over and over and over and over and over, because it only holds 1 setting and once you put another material in that might have a different tuning value, you have to run the tuning wizard again, and you'll have to run it once again when you switch back to the other materials you use.

They took something that gave complete and total control and wiped that out.

The latest driver that doesn't do this is 5.35.56.08 if you need to roll back. I was asked to email my concerns to support so they could start documenting customers that wanted the feature back the way it was, not flushing the years of saved experience down the toilet without asking. We've spent 100's of hours over the years tuning materials, now that's partially gone in the latest release, meaning we'll have to start over again.

So if you use the tuning feature, please take a couple minutes and email support and tell them you don't want the standard tuning method removed from the software. Just because a new user needs a wizard, doesn't mean you should remove it from people that aren't new users and do understand it.

Thanks for your time!

Frédéric PARROT
03-31-2013, 12:08 PM
Helle Scott,

... We've spent 100's of hours over the years tuning materials, now that's partially gone in the latest release, meaning we'll have to start over again. ...
You don't backup your hard drive?
Settings are not lost like this and all your drawings too ...

Scott Shepherd
03-31-2013, 12:52 PM
Fred, yes, we have it all backed up. It has nothing to do with backups. Right now, there are 4 settings you have control over. That 4th setting being "tuning". Imagine spending time over the years dialing that "tuning" option in so all your text is razor sharp on the smallest details. Now, imagine they removed that 4th setting from the control panel and put it in diagnostics. Now that it's in diagnostics, those "tuning" settings you gathered over the years are not available. Before this release, you could have 100 materials and different tuning on them all if you wanted. Now there is 1 tuning and it's only good for what's running in the laser now. So if I put a different material that requires different tuning, instead of pulling up that material, now, I have to put a sample in and tune it for that one job. When it's done, I have to retune it for the next material again. Before, that was all stored and linked to each material. Now it's gone and not available.

Mike Lassiter
04-17-2013, 7:55 PM
Scott the newest driver is 5.35.57.08 which I just downloaded. I remembered this thread afterwards and have not installed yet. Have you tried this one yet?

Scott Shepherd
04-17-2013, 8:06 PM
I haven't- that's really odd, they usually release them quarterly, so to have another one out so soon, I'm going to check it now!

Thanks for the tip!

Scott Shepherd
04-17-2013, 8:23 PM
No such luck, it's still missing. Seriously Universal, why would you take this completely away? I understand wanting to make it easy for new users with the "Wizard" you replaced it with, but it makes no sense. You are punishing power users and customers that have used that feature for years. If it was so unimportant, why was it a staple of the settings for the last 5 or more years?

Put it back, PLEASE!

Mike Lassiter
04-17-2013, 8:29 PM
Maybe your comments here prompted changing back to the way it use to be. That's why I was asking you specifically. I have downloaded the driver you reported but didn't install it after you reported here.

Mike Lassiter
04-17-2013, 8:32 PM
You must have posted as I was typing. I see you say it is the same. I'll hold off a while longer I guess. Thanks for reporting this.