PDA

View Full Version : Storing CA and Inlace products....

Chip Sutherland
03-29-2013, 4:20 PM
I have noticed recently that my CA glue hasn't been holding up well. Went to use my Inlace materials and a clear can was crystallized so was my pre-mixed turquoise. I guess the summers in Texas shortened their lifespan. The brand of CA doesn't seem to make much of a difference. I don't use much CA so I always buy the smaller bottle. Frankly 2-part 5min epoxy and some tinting seems to work as well as tinting Inlace...and I don't have to wait for it to cure 24 hrs.

I have heard folks store CA in the refrigerator. While that was not practical at the time, I do have a refrigerator in the garage now so it something I could do.

So how do you guys store CA and Inlace?

jared herbert
03-29-2013, 4:53 PM
I keep a pint bottle of ca in a refridgerator and then fill a small 2oz bottle in the shop to use as I need it. I have some that is 3 years old and has worked ok. Jared

David C. Roseman
03-29-2013, 5:48 PM
Can't recall where I heard the suggestion, but for the last 1-1/2 yrs, I've stored several 2 oz bottles of my medium-viscosity CA in the freezer with no ill effect, as far as I can tell. I'd bought a bunch at deep discount, and ended up with way more than I needed. Still flows well right out of the freezer, and sets up as quickly as when new. I use it, then the bottle goes right back in the freezer. YMMV.

David

Darryl Hansen
03-29-2013, 6:12 PM
ditto on the CA and frig. I keep my inclace in the frig as well. I can't seem to get the can sealed well so I always run a strip of tape around the can top. Had both fro about a year or two with no ill effects on either.

mark ravensdale
03-29-2013, 8:39 PM
Chip, I found that using 2part epoxy works as well as inlace, and like you say, It don't take nearly as long to cure, works out quite a bit cheaper too!!!
as for CA glue, sorry cannot help with that one, my CA glue seems to go hard in the bottle in no time, that's why I started using the cheapest stuff I could find, cheap or expensive it all went hard in no time!!!

Take care!!!

Ted Calver
03-29-2013, 9:12 PM
I buy in bulk and store in the refrigerator. It's been 3 years or more on the last stuff. I just threw some five year old CA away that was still flowing and setting up like new, just so I could order another batch. I do admit that recent discussions about questionable longevity of CA joints has me concerned.

mark ravensdale
03-30-2013, 9:59 AM
Me thinks I must try this freezer/refrigerator tactic, cheers guys!!!
does it also work on inlace too??? (because that stuff is pretty expensive and seems to crystalize in no time once the seal is broken on the lid)
As to the life of CA glue, I have a glue joint made with it that is over 16 years old and it's still going strong, I also have some voids that I filled with CA glue and wood dust when I first started turning almost 10 years ago, but no sign of any problems yet,
maybe the CA gods look on me kindly?

Brian Ashton
03-30-2013, 10:18 AM
Can't recall where I heard the suggestion, but for the last 1-1/2 yrs, I've stored several 2 oz bottles of my medium-viscosity CA in the freezer with no ill effect, as far as I can tell. I'd bought a bunch at deep discount, and ended up with way more than I needed. Still flows well right out of the freezer, and sets up as quickly as when new. I use it, then the bottle goes right back in the freezer. YMMV.

David

Ditto on that.

Peter Blair
03-30-2013, 10:19 AM
Hey Mark, I too use the freezer to store my CA. What do you use to tint your epoxy?

Michael Dromey
03-31-2013, 10:27 AM
Chip. I agree storing CA in the frig helps shelf life. I marked the date on each bottle. It says 3-23-08. Still works just like it was freshly opened. No plans of throwing it out.

mark ravensdale
03-31-2013, 2:17 PM
Peter, I use pigment (dry) for making and mixing artist paint, most craft or art stores will sell them, there is a VAST array of Colors to choose from ( much more than the inlace colors!!!), and it only takes a small amount added to the epoxy (before adding catalyst) to get the color you want, been using them for years with no problems!!!, just ask for artist's pigments and they should know what you want.

Peter Blair
03-31-2013, 10:28 PM
Thanks Mark! I have all sorts of artist's pigments that I used to use when I was making duck decoys. Gonna give it a try next time I have anything to fill. I was contemplating inlace but now I know I can get better results with epoxy which I already have and use.

Dan Hintz
04-01-2013, 7:32 AM
I'll step slightly outside of the box on this one...

I have a number of bottles (thin, medium, and thick) purchased in a bulk buy, and the stuff is at least 4 years old... still works well. I don't put it in the fridge, but I do make sure it stays in a dry environment. Between the dehumidifer during the summer and the pellet stove during the winter, my basement stays pretty darn dry.

Moisture (among other things) is what starts the catalyzation process, so removing it from the air means I don't suck it back into the bottle with every use.