PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic PM2800B Drill Press Review

Jeffrey Kibler
03-28-2013, 9:14 PM
I wanted to share my initial thoughts about the PM2800B for anyone who was interested. I got it yesterday and put it together and my initial reaction is one of slight disappointment but I'm going to continue to use it a little and break it in I guess.

The first time I started it up there was a horrible rattle coming from the motor. Turns out 3 of the 4 bolts holding the motor casing were loose so I had to tighten them up and then that noise went away. Next I turned it on and started adjusting it through it range of speeds and it ferociously vibrated at higher speeds. So I took the black housing off the top and found that there was already a pretty good buildup of black belt dust after only 5 minutes of running. After thinking about the design it seems to me that the belt is going to wear quite a bit until a bevel gets built up on the belts. I don't really understand why the press wouldn't come with the belts already beveled but ohh well. Everything on that drive assembly looks misaligned to me but to be fair it is possible that it is supposed to be like that. The manual says nothing about it at all. I called Powermatic and they said put some hours on it and the vibration should go away. I'm not happy that I have to do this, but I'm willing to try. The loose bolts and the vibration gave me a sick feeling in my stomach about the $1400 purchase I had made. Powermatic is not winning any awards with me in the recent months. My table saw is running like crap and they lost my purchase on a new bandsaw.

OK so enough of the negative because honestly everything else on the drill press is really really nice. I'm having a bit of trouble adjusting the locking bolts on the fence but I'm sure I can figure that one out. The table is very large which is exactly what I wanted. The T slots are cool, and it will be very easy to clamp things onto the table using the T slots or the sides of the table. The digital speed display is also pretty cool.

The upper and lower stops for the quill travel are awesome. They are extremely quick to adjust because you just push a button and slide them up or down wherever you need them. No more spinning the old style stops. The lasers are pretty cool but the lights are just downright awesome. They are incredibly bright. The keyless chuck is also nice. I had a very expensive keyless chuck on my old drill press. This one is not as nice as my old one but it is still a far cry from the average drill press chucks.

I like the bigger base the drill press sits on. It isn't huge, but it is definitely bigger than the standard drill press base and it is nice and sturdy. Fit and finish is also very nice.

I really wanted this to be an amazing review but the vibration has me worried. I'm going to give it a few days and just go drill a billion holes in some scrap wood and see what happens. I will be sure to post updates when I have them. In the mean time please feel free to ask questions and if you want to see more pictures of anything let me know. I think Powermatic is doing an absolutely terrible job of promoting these new products and showing potential buyers decent pictures or videos of the drill press. Maybe if I get time tomorrow I'll do my first ever video review of something and post it on here.

Cheers!

Mikail Khan
03-28-2013, 9:33 PM
Congrats on the new tool. Hope the vibration issue sorts itself out. Thanks for posting the review.

I am not sure how the drive is constructed but the loose bolts could have caused the pulleys to be misaligned. This could be an easy fix.

Generally vibration does not improve with time and use.

The video would be interesting to see.

MK

Jeffrey Kibler
03-28-2013, 10:50 PM
So I have a theory and I'm going to call powermatic about it tomorrow. Spent some time studying how this thing works and I think I know how the pulleys should live up. If I'm correct mine is severely out of adjustment. If it fixes the problem I think I will be much happier with the purchase. It really is a cool design if it ends up working.

Bill Wyko
03-28-2013, 10:57 PM
I have the last one of this drill press. the vibration was caused by the belt sitting in one place for too long. Once it broke in it was fine. I think in a short timeyou'll be very happy with your investment.

Jeffrey Kibler
04-01-2013, 8:52 PM
So after a few days of using this drill press I can tell you that I'm truly disappointed and I feel sick to my stomach thinking that I just spend $1400 on a piece of junk. Aside from what I would call unacceptable vibration it seems like the entire thing is just poorly built and misaligned. I'm an engineer so I'm comfortable saying this is a cool design that is very poorly executed. Maybe I don't fully understand the machine but I can tell you at low speeds the front pulley wobbles like crazy and the run out on the chuck is terrible. You can visibly see it move. And yes I installed it correctly and even took it off and cleaned it again and installed it a second time. I'm going to be calling Powermatic tomorrow but I have a feeling this thing is going back on a truck to Powermatic as soon as possible. I'm certain they aren't going to help me on the phone tomorrow but I'll give it a try. The pretty machined aluminum flywheels and pulleys you see in the manual are not what come on this machine. Here is a video. Maybe this front pulley is supposed to wobble like this, and maybe the belts are supposed to be this badly aligned, but I have no idea why you would design it this way or how the belts could possibly last more than a few months.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Sn46QBgsUo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1mf6EWNox8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcNRsDnxoKM

Greg R Bradley
04-01-2013, 9:25 PM
That is very disappointing. I bought a PM2800, was thrilled to get it, and took it back two days later for a Delta 17-959. I was really hoping they had sorted this out and was thinking I really could justify a second drill press or find a home for the Delta and upgrade. I was completely disgusted by the PM2800 but was still really wishing that the PM2800B would be good and could find the excuse to buy one.

My PM2800 would only go down to an indicated 450 RPM. If I removed the cover, the lever would move far enough to go down to an indicated 400. Problem was, my tachometer showed that around 470 or so. The pulleys did a dance that was worse than your video. The belts were shedding rubber dust at an alarming rate. The crank mechanism on the table height looked like it wouldn't last 6 months.

Please WMH, get it together and make stuff that works. You did it before - my PM-1200 at work is a great machine. Please, Please! No more crap!

Dick Mahany
04-01-2013, 9:59 PM
I guess I'm lucky. I ordered a PM 2800 for an excellent price by a local supplier. They said it was in stock at another warehouse and could have it in a day. A day turned into a week, then they reneged on the deal even though I gave them a cash down payment. Got my money back but no drill press. After reading about this model, I guess I got the better deal.

Paul McGaha
04-06-2013, 12:39 PM
Jeffrey,

I sincerely hope this gets resolved to your satisfaction.

I'm a Powermatic fan, I was really wanting this drill press to be good.

PHM

Jeffrey Kibler
04-07-2013, 7:58 AM
I have a mini-update. I got ahold of a good person at Powermatic and they took a look at the videos and said something is definitely not right. The are going to replace the drill press and they want the one I have back to see what the problem is. My only worry is the new one will not be any different than the one I got. I guess we will find out.

Jim Foster
04-07-2013, 6:11 PM
Did you have a chance to measure runout on the quill or chuck? I have an old Delta 16" or 16 1/2" and the runout is terrible. I've thought of upgrading, but have not been convinced the new ones are better in the results in this area.

glenn bradley
04-07-2013, 7:24 PM
It seems any maker can have a not-so-good product. Many makers have not-so-good drill presses and the PM2800 looked great on paper but, fell horribly short in practice. I too was hoping the PM2800B would be the PM2800 with all the problems fixed. Not so according to the reviews by actual purchasers I have seen so far. Fine Woodworking Magazine gave it a lot of rah-rah but, if you have followed FWW for an period of time you have seen this erroneous behavior before (its a great product, nod-nod, wink-wink).

I hope this works out or, if not, that they take the machine back without any additional grief. The first retailer that comes up with a decent woodworking drill press that is $1000 or less is going to have immediate back-order problems :). Grizzly has been promising one for a couple years. Apparently properly performing drill presses are a lot harder to make than we think(?).

Brad Patch
04-07-2013, 10:05 PM
The second video relating to pully alignment shows a serious mismatch There is no way that this conforms to any standard of proper assembly. Hopefully the next machine will be better!

Wade Lippman
04-07-2013, 10:58 PM
I loved the specifications on this and went to a local store to check it out. It seemed really tinny, and I wasn't about to pay that much money for it.
I hope your second one is better, but unless the demo dp was also defective, it is is just poorly made.

Dave Fuller
04-08-2013, 1:02 AM
I hate hearing about problems like yours. I'm glad PM is being responsive, however. I have the original 2800, perhaps I'm in the minority but I'm very happy with it. No vibration problems, minimal runout, love the continuous speed control, laser guides are perfect, big table is sturdy, chuck is super nice... I feel like it was worth the price. My only complaint is the fence, the machine runs smooth as silk and I like using it. Good luck and I hope you end up with a machine that you are pleased with.

eugene thomas
04-08-2013, 1:58 AM
i must be in the minority to. i have pm2800 and really like it. I must admit the fence is kind of pain to lock in place but overall really like the machean.

Jeffrey Kibler
04-08-2013, 6:44 AM
That is funny because I'm had the same problem with the fence too. I figured that was something I could tinker around with and figure out, or just get different knobs to lock it down with. If I get a machine that doesn't vibrate like crazy I think I will be very happy with it. For you guys that have the PM2800 do the belts run parallel to each other through the entire range of motion? Do you have a bunch of belt dust under the hood? I'm sure there is something wrong with mine but I'm curious what a good running machine looks like. Specifically I'm curious if that upper belt is angled as bed as mine at different speeds.

John Coloccia
04-08-2013, 7:37 AM
I've not seen even one of those yet where the quill wasn't loose. Chuck a bit, lock the quill extended a few inches, and grab the chuck. Wiggle it back and forth and watch what happens to the tip of the drill bit. Unless you miraculously got the one tight one, it will wobble back and forth, and so will the next 10 replacements they send you.

Jeffrey Kibler
04-08-2013, 6:56 PM
So PM called me back they want me to ship the drill press back to them but said the replacement wouldn't ship until June!!!! I'm seriously considering buying the delta. If I had known this would be such a headache I would have kept my Jet that worked absolutely fine. I made a huge mistake on this one.

Dick Mahany
04-08-2013, 8:06 PM
Well perhaps they are fixing or redesigning everything on the manufacturing line to correct a possible flaw. We'll need to see what the July reviews have to say. It would be nice if PM would get this right as the new "B" machine has decent specs.

Peter Aeschliman
04-08-2013, 9:00 PM
Man, I'd just ask for a refund if I were you... With so many people who had problems with the previous model, chances seem high that you'll wait til june only to get another crumby machine.

Brad Patch
04-09-2013, 6:16 PM
Imagine how many poor shlubs are seduced by all the fancy bells and whistles, gets a machine not fit for use but don't know any better. Only thing worse than that is a once proud manufacturer putting junk like that in the hands of the consumer. If build procedures are so poor as too allow so many obvious negative issues, what kind of quality is specified for rotating parts, machining tolerances, and electronics. Previous advice to get a refund is sound.

Erik Manchester
05-23-2013, 7:37 PM
Sorry that you had such a disappointment with the new drill press. For the price it should come ready to go, all aligned.

I have been looking for a new DP myself and recently found a used Steel City 20520 for $325 in like new condition. I really like the 6" stroke and the 16 speeds it provides. It is a big step up from my 1930s Atlas Bench Top 12.5" DP.

I hope that you receive a refund without too much trouble and are successful in your search for a quality DP.

Phil Thien
05-23-2013, 8:07 PM
Sorry that you had such a disappointment with the new drill press. For the price it should come ready to go, all aligned.

I have been looking for a new DP myself and recently found a used Steel City 20520 for $325 in like new condition. I really like the 6" stroke and the 16 speeds it provides. It is a big step up from my 1930s Atlas Bench Top 12.5" DP.

I hope that you receive a refund without too much trouble and are successful in your search for a quality DP.

Those Steel City units are split heads, which allows one to tune quill-wiggle out of the equation.

I would have liked one but stumbled into a low-priced deal on a Ridgid, with which I'm happy.

Andrew Pitonyak
05-23-2013, 10:34 PM
Keep us appraised on the final resolution, I have been considering one of these for a long time. I like the Delta 18-900L as well, and it can go slower (down to 170 I think), which you sometimes want.

Jeff Duncan
05-24-2013, 10:38 AM
My friend has been ogling that drill press for some time, all the while I've been trying to convince him an older 1150 will be a better press for his use. I'm going to send him this thread as it shows what I've learned through my last few new Powermatic machines.....the quality just isn't what it used to be:(

FWIW I recommend buying a drill press, (or any machine), based on the quality of the machine itself and for the most part ignoring all the gadgets and add-ons . Sure lights and fancy tables are nice to have, but they don't really affect the machines use. Buying a good quality basic machine and adding your own light and aftermarket table if you need one, would likely provide a better service life. I also inherently distrust most electronics on machines.....just one more thing to go wrong:o

just my opinion though....good luck!
JeffD

Tai Fu
05-24-2013, 12:12 PM
Geez! My 250 dollar Rexon 15" benchtop drill press does better than that... no discernible vibration (unless you mount a crappy drill bit on it) and the pulley measures a runout of less than .010 and the chuck is .015.

Bill Wyko
05-24-2013, 12:24 PM
I must have got lucky, mine is working perfectly and has for a couple years now. Once the belt broke in all the problems went away. It does have a 5 year warranty, I'd contact them, they have wonderful customer service.

Eddie Darby
05-24-2013, 6:58 PM
So PM called me back they want me to ship the drill press back to them but said the replacement wouldn't ship until June!!!! I'm seriously considering buying the delta. If I had known this would be such a headache I would have kept my Jet that worked absolutely fine. I made a huge mistake on this one.

A friend recently got the Delta 18-900L drill press and is very happy with the purchase.
It has everything that the PM2800B has except for the variable speed, and the keyless chuck.
The table on the Delta is really nice, especially for drilling compound angle holes, and aimed at the woodworker, with side to side and forward tilting.

From the video that was posted on the PM2800B it seemed to me that the changing of the speeds was tedious, as the operator kept turning and the RPM just slowly went up.
If one was just going to change by a couple hundred RPM then it would be alright, but if the operator was making larger speed changes, or had to go from the bottom speed to the top speed, I think I would want to have the belts that the Delta has, with the idler pulley system.

So IF you are not satisfied with your second PM2800B then I would recommend that you take a closer look at the Delta.

Joseph Tarantino
05-25-2013, 11:21 AM
powermatic, the gold standard in customer disappointment. paying a premium price should get you a flawless tool, more along the lines of sawstop. if i were the OP, i'd listen to my gut and the other comments recommending delta. just my $.02.

Jeff Duncan
05-25-2013, 11:32 AM
Or you can throw caution to the wind and get yourself a REAL drill press...
http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx268/JDWoodworking/pm1150.jpg (http://s762.photobucket.com/user/JDWoodworking/media/pm1150.jpg.html)

That's a 4 head Powermatic 1150 which was in hindsight probably a bit heavy for my little F-150:o

JeffD

Jamie Lynch
05-25-2013, 3:19 PM
Or you can throw caution to the wind and get yourself a REAL drill press...

That's a 4 head Powermatic 1150 which was in hindsight probably a bit heavy for my little F-150:o

JeffD

Now that is cool!

Brian Lefort
05-26-2013, 7:43 AM
I went with the Delta and couldn't be happier. 18-900L

Jeffrey Kibler
07-19-2013, 9:13 PM
Just to keep everyone updated I still have not received my replacement drill press. Powermatic was nice enough to let me hang on to this one while I wait and I have used and abused it. I will say that if the new one doesn't vibrate like the old one, I will absolutely love this drill press. I really like the features and I love how easy it is to change the speed. Never changed the speed once on my old drill press but now that the rpm's are just staring me in the face, and it is so easy, I do it all the time. I plan to update this thread again once I get the replacement.

Jeffrey Kibler
09-02-2013, 12:46 PM
Well after months and months and months of waiting the new PM2800B arrived. There is a good and a bad side to this story.

First the bad. I was told the new drill press would be inspected before shipping, and it was, but they missed the fact that the shaft that holds the speed change handwheel was not threaded at the factory. So I got the drill press all set up with the last step being to put that handwheel on, and I found the shaft not threaded. I was frustrated to say the least and was more than happy to tell Powermatic how unhappy I was.

Now for the good.... Powermatic tools have clearly degraded in my opinion, but they still have really good customer service. The part for the drill press was overnight shipped to my door and they set up an appointment for a service center to come out and install the part. I didn't take them up on the service center offer, but I probably should have because I literally had to disassemble the drill press to replace the shaft.

So although the first drill press was garbage, and the second one had what I will call a minor problem, I now have a drill press that works very well and I'm happy with it. I'm also happy with the tech support/customer service. After putting it through its paces I think it is a good drill press with some cool features. I think for $1400 they could have sprung for a better chuck but the one on there works, it just isn't great quality. I had to play with the fence a lot to get it to adjust easily, but now that it does I absolutely love it. I will say that on my old drill press I never once changed the speed of it because it seemed like a huge hassle with the belts. Now I do it all the time and I love how easy it is and how much better the bits perform at their recommended speeds.

If any of you have questions about the drill press feel free to ask. Now that this journey is done I will sum everything up with three simple ratings:

Satisfaction with my experience getting this tool - F
Satisfaction with PM customer service - B
Satisfaction with the tool now that I have one that works - A+

Paul McGaha
09-02-2013, 1:04 PM
Jeffrey,

I'm glad that in the end you have a drill press you like. Hope it gives you a lot of years of good service. Really sorry for all the trouble you had to go thru. I'm actually really big on Powermatic and have several tools that I couldn't be happier with but I think if I had had as much trouble with a tool as you had with this one I think I would have just gotten my money back and bought something else.

Attaboy for sticking with it.

I saw a Powermatic 2800B at a nearby Woodcraft store (Springfield, VA). It is a beautiful tool. I don't know, with this particular tool, maybe it would be a good strategy to buy one that's already set up and working properly at a store. I know that's not easy for everyone.

From what I've read about it if you can get a good one it really is a very nice drill press.

Best of luck with it.

PHM

jack forsberg
09-02-2013, 2:50 PM
FWIW I recommend buying a drill press, (or any machine), based on the quality of the machine itself and for the most part ignoring all the gadgets and add-ons . Sure lights and fancy tables are nice to have, but they don't really affect the machines use. Buying a good quality basic machine and adding your own light and aftermarket table if you need one, would likely provide a better service life. I also inherently distrust most electronics on machines.....just one more thing to go wrong:o

just my opinion though....good luck!
JeffD

Jeff its the $1400 that gets me. I mean I picked up an old delta from the 40S with a no plastic on it and change the bearing(very easy) put a nice new chuck on it and a VFD and it got more features than this new press.and it only cost me $400 total for the machine and upgrade.You got to be kidding that people put up with this crap after shelling out $1400.

here my old press from the 40s that is just so much better than anything new in that price range.

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad111/tool613/wadkin/pinroutor001_zpse6547d6b.jpg (http://s927.photobucket.com/user/tool613/media/wadkin/pinroutor001_zpse6547d6b.jpg.html)

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad111/tool613/wadkin/17-600002_zpsbef93077.jpg (http://s927.photobucket.com/user/tool613/media/wadkin/17-600002_zpsbef93077.jpg.html)

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad111/tool613/wadkin/17-600003_zpsa731ee44.jpg (http://s927.photobucket.com/user/tool613/media/wadkin/17-600003_zpsa731ee44.jpg.html)

video of it mid way through the rebuild and before the bearing were changed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UsuoWTe7xs

the finished machine video with speed range from 0 to 7200 rpm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIEwVt3kswU

Ken Fitzgerald
09-02-2013, 3:04 PM
Jack,

Some of us don't want to take time to overhaul a tool, myself included. I have the skills to overhaul a DP, but I prefer to spend my time working with wood not chasing down bearings, other parts and spray paint, etc.

There were some good tools manufactured in the past, there was junk manufactured then too.

While in some areas of the continent you may find good buys on Craigslist, that hasn't been the experience in my local area.

There is nothing wrong with paying good money and expecting to get a well manufactured product in return.

jack forsberg
09-02-2013, 3:16 PM
Ken

the good thing about old machinery is all were left with is the good stuff as the junk is all gone.:D:D

no new paint here and the rebuilt took less time than it did to deal with this new press. I agree that there is nothing wrong with shelling out money for a good tool. it just appears to me this in not a good tool at all for the money. I am sure most are unaware how easy it is to get good tools is all. i was woodworking on my press in a week end. Setting up tools is woodwork Ken IMO.

Jack,

Some of us don't want to take time to overhaul a tool, myself included. I have the skills to overhaul a DP, but I prefer to spend my time working with wood not chasing down bearings, other parts and spray paint, etc.

There were some good tools manufactured in the past, there was junk manufactured then too.

While in some areas of the continent you may find good buys on Craigslist, that hasn't been the experience in my local area.

There is nothing wrong with paying good money and expecting to get a well manufactured product in return.

Phil Thien
09-02-2013, 8:41 PM
Beautiful old Delta press, Jack. Those things are awesome!

David C. Roseman
09-03-2013, 12:03 PM
Jeffrey, congratulations, and thanks for the update. It's nice to know the eventual outcome of an experience like yours.

Jack, impressive job on the old Delta rebuild! I especially like your mod on the depth limiter, as it will also work on many other DPs.

Ken, your point on taking time to rebuild an older machine is well taken, even for a tinkerer like myself. But it's sure fun to watch a talented guy like Jack go about it. :)

David

Jeff Duncan
09-03-2013, 12:33 PM
I think Jack and I share a passion for well made tools. Old tools don't necessarily need work to make them go. My 2 daily user presses were both used and both plug and play and I have less than $1k invested in both. One can go out and buy a used Powermatic 1150 or 1200 or even a Clausing ready to work for $1400! Having said that I also realize some guys just want new tools and that's their choice. Regardless of new or used most machines are going to require some adjustments when first put into use and maintenance over time. So any ideas that buying new means just plug it in and use it is not necessarily accurate. I purchased several new Powermatics in my first few years starting out and all were well made machines, though pricey for what you got! Over time I was turned on to older industrial equipment and never looked back;) To me having the best quality machine I can afford makes my work just a bit easier and more enjoyable. At the end of the day though if the machine, new or used, does what you need it to and your content with what it cost, well that's what counts right?

Jack, I love your brass work....trying to make all your machines look British aren't you:D

good luck,
JeffD

John Coloccia
09-03-2013, 1:37 PM

Exactly. It's so frustrating to spend a good amount of money and end up with a basket case that still doesn't work correctly. This isn't just a woodworking problem, though. I saw this over and over in my engineering days. I can't even begin to list the number of detectors, sensors, analyzers, and other widgets....some very very very expensive widgets...that either just flat out don't work properly or have other major issues....don't meet specs, firmware is botched up, critical features don't work, etc etc. Some vendors are responsive. I had laser/TEC driver chassis from Newport that had some rather interesting firmware bugs I found. Within a short period of times....2 or 3 weeks...they fixed the problem and sent me enough PROMS to update every driver we owned (lots of them).

Agilent was the same way. There was a certain value that I needed to get in real time from their polarization analyzer. I called them up and was put in touch with the production manager on their manufacturing floor. Within 15 minutes, we identified exactly what I needed and we were able to identify a way to modify the unit in house to tap one of the detectors directly and get what I needed. Fantastic service.

Some other vendors? Eh....not quite as easy to work with :)

Tai Fu
09-03-2013, 1:43 PM
Things happen... just because you paid a lot of money doesn't mean problems won't occur. The most important thing is how the vendor handled the problem. There are so many factors outside of their control when manufacturing items that sometimes things just don't work the way they should.

Dave Macrae
10-30-2018, 9:21 AM
I made the mistake of buying a PM2800, it is a train wreck, the reeves drive vibrates like crazy, the belts have lumps, the chuck run out was 9 thou, powermatic replaced the chuck now its 4. The fit and finish is rough. It doesn't even have an on off switch.

glenn bradley
10-30-2018, 9:45 AM
The 2800B is supposed to have addressed the many disappointments of the 2800.

Chuck Saunders
10-31-2018, 10:41 AM
That may be Glenn, but they left plenty more available. I have been completely disappointed with this model. I will be replacing with the Nova. My issues have been Switch, Speed Control, Reeves pulleys freezing and excessive belt wear Belt wear. The Powermatic era is over for me, just another chinese clone. Don't get me wrong, I am a Powermatic guy, my PM72 and PM141 do me proud. The PM2800B is no PM1150 or PM1200.
Chuck