PDA

View Full Version : Dewalt Radial Arm Saw??

Wade Lippman
03-28-2013, 4:21 PM
http://syracuse.craigslist.org/tls/3694057278.html

Is this one desirable?
I really just want it for dadoes, it isn't much more expensive than buying a dado cartridge for my SS. (and much easier, though awfully more dangerous...)

Cyrus Brewster 7
03-28-2013, 4:50 PM
I would say offer around $75 ($100 max). This is not the older "bullet proof" round arm one. Also being 8" it may be under powered for dados.

Matt Day
03-28-2013, 8:57 PM
I have a nearly identical one, just probably a couple years apart as the motor says B&D on it and the base is more substantial. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a 10" blade like mine does but I'd do some more research on the model 1200 and 1400 (stated on the manual) to be sure. It might be one of the ones that's dubbed a 9" saw.
I paid $110 for mine and think I got a pretty good deal. If its the 9" version, I wouldn't buy it at all bc of the inconvenient blade size.

Dave Cav
03-28-2013, 11:35 PM
I think it's a late 50s or early 60s saw. It was made when they were still all cast iron, and while it doesn't have the classic lines of the round arm models, it's probably just as good. It should dado just fine, although you will want to take your time and probably take some very light cuts first until you are used to using the saw. Also bear in mind that the bearings in the motor and carriage are 50+ years old and may or will probably need to be replaced. The arm bearings can probably just be cleaned up and reinstalled, but the motor bearings will probably eventually need to be replaced. It's not difficult but you need to pay attention to how it comes apart, and be careful with the wiring, because if you mess up the relay, you'll never find another one. Lots of info over at owwm dot org, and there is a DeWalt specific forum on Delphi.

HANK METZ
03-29-2013, 1:24 AM
http://syracuse.craigslist.org/tls/3694057278.html

Is this one desirable?
I really just want it for dadoes, it isn't much more expensive than buying a dado cartridge for my SS. (and much easier, though awfully more dangerous...)

It is a model 1200 saw, made between the years 1962- 1964 and swings a 9” blade. The frame 230 motor is convertible 120/ 230 volt and at 9.6 amps. is about ¾ h.p. These saws had plenty of power for a dado blade or shaper blade as well. I have restored a later version, the model 1400 (http://people.delphiforums.com/perristalsis/Sweethearts/Meet_My_Sweethearts.htm) which is nearly identical but swings a 10” blade instead. Don’t get hung up on blade size, in the typical cabinet shop an 8” one will suffice for your daily work quite well. Focus should be on replacing the table and a general cleanup of the saw, my restoration was of a unit ready for the trash heap but I was determined to bring it back to life and it has rewarded me handsomely ever since. General blade alignment is next, here is a method I use to accomplish that: Blade Alignment (http://people.delphiforums.com/perristalsis/DeWalt_Blade_Align/DeWalt_Blade_Alignment.htm)

I recommend you get a blade with a hook angle of no more than 10 degrees, the Freud 8300 (http://www.amazon.com/Freud-LU83R008-Combination-PermaShield-Coating/dp/B00020JOA0) series is a fine choice for this saw and will crosscut and rip with equal aplomb. Unless the additional blade is a Forrest, take a pass as it’s probably a generic tablesaw type.

There is a whole new world out there about the many uses of a radial arm saw, I suggest you visit the DeWalt user’s group at Delphi (http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/main.asp?webtag=woodbutcher&nav=start&redirCnt=1&prettyurl=%2Fwoodbutcher%3FredirCnt%3D1%26dpkey%3D OTR8fEhBTkt8TUVUWnxTTmFtZT1wZXJyaXN0YWxzaXMmR25pY2 s9JnNwPW58aGFua21AYmVsbHNvdXRoLm5ldHxwZXJyaXN0YWxz aXN8ep%252b3c1X3V3oKUrZd) and read the FAQ’s before you do anything with the saw, the reputation as being “dangerous” is totally undeserved, and a little education is in order if that is what you’ve been led to believe.

- Beachside Hank
Improvise, adapt, overcome; the essence of true craftsmanship.

Charlie Velasquez
03-29-2013, 10:34 AM
It is a model 1200 saw, ...

- Beachside Hank

I am impressed.. I can't tell the difference between the 1200, 1400, and 790.

What was the give-away?

HANK METZ
03-29-2013, 11:22 AM
I am impressed.. I can't tell the difference between the 1200, 1400, and 790.

What was the give-away?

The blade guard; 9" models exhaust from the rear, 10" or more it's up front.

I forgot to mention in my prior post, the unit pictured also has a retractor device for the carriage, that's a nice item to have.

- Beachside Hank

Brian Brightwell
03-29-2013, 4:11 PM
I had a few hurdles to overcome with my RAS. One was the motor starter, the original was junk. Another problem was the carrier bearings three got smooth after lubricating but one needed replaced. It was $38.00 from a bearing supply house and that was there cost, the counter man felt sorry for me.

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy11/bebrightwell/DSC_0734.jpg

Wade Lippman
03-29-2013, 6:08 PM
I have ruled this out. It only has 12" travel and if it is not one of the special ones then it is badly over priced.
There are several Craftsman 10" saws closer to me; so I will pick up one of those.
Thanks.

HANK METZ
03-30-2013, 8:21 AM
I have ruled this out. It only has 12" travel and if it is not one of the special ones then it is badly over priced.
There are several Craftsman 10" saws closer to me; so I will pick up one of those.
Thanks.

Actually it has a 13” crosscut with a 9” blade, there is a method to safely increase that length, but you’re going another way. Opinions vary as to just when the decline in DeWalt saw products began, my own is anything after the late ‘60’s, but even then they still trump anyone else’s saw. Just be advised the Craftsman series will require frequent realignment to give satisfactory results- very frequent in fact. Also too, check the model # at this link (http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com/), there is and has been a long- time recall event going on with this saw, to my knowledge the DeWalts of the same period have never had a recall event.

In closing, I’m just voicing a muse here; a person wouldn’t buy a car just to go 30 feet to the end of his driveway to fetch the mail and drive back again, so it always astonishes me that the same single minded use of the radial saw is likewise implied. It is capable of so much more than a limited application.

- Beachside Hank

John McClanahan
03-30-2013, 9:33 AM
For many years I owned one of the Craftsman saws on the recall list. What I find interesting is the long time safety recall is brought up when talking about the Craftsman RAS, but the DeWalts have the same blade guard and anti-kickback design and that isn't a problem for them. :confused: We have a DeWalt like the one in the link at work, and it is a better saw than Craftsman saws.

John

Roy Turbett
03-31-2013, 1:27 AM
IMHO the "classic" DeWalt RAS's were the ones with the round cast arms. The smaller 9" MBC (1/2 hp motor) and MBF (3/4 hp motor) began the home woodworking craze following WWII. The larger GW (1 1/2 hp with a dual voltage switch) was sold to contractors and used as a job site saw. The removable legs are attached to the saw with wing nuts and bolts. These saws don't come up for sale all that often in my area and sell quickly. Expect to pay $50 - $150 for the MB series and $150 - $300 or more for the rarer GW series depending on condition. The MB series carriage bearings are relatively inexpensive and easy to find but expect to pay $120 to $200 for the GW carriage bearings. Both series use the same inexpensive motor bearings. In my area you're lucky if you can find a buyer for a post 70's Craftsman.

HANK METZ
03-31-2013, 4:50 AM
Given the manufacturing date range of MBC’s and MBF’s, the average residential electrical service back in the late ‘40’s through late ‘50’s was only 120 volt, 30 amps. maximum. That explains the lower h.p. motors those units had. 9.8 amps for an MBF represented about 1/3rd of the typical home’s power available from a fused load center. It wasn’t until Sears misrepresented “peak” horsepower as useable H.P. (“developed” ) that the horsepower wars began, and naturally all power tool makers had to respond in kind, DeWalt first advertised the model 925 (1959- 1960) as 2 H.P.- “developed”. This model pulled no more current than the GWF, which had a then honest h.p. rating of ¾. Publish or perish soon became the order of the day, and still remains so, sadly.

- Beachside Hank

Brian Brightwell
03-31-2013, 2:03 PM
Opinions vary as to just when the decline in DeWalt saw products began, my own is anything after the late ‘60’s, but even then they still trump anyone else’s saw.

- Beachside Hank
Hank, here is a picture of my Dewalt RAS. I think it the model is 7551. I believe was made around 1970. It is not a round top but seems substantial and does what I want.
http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy11/bebrightwell/DSC_0734.jpg

HANK METZ
03-31-2013, 5:11 PM
I think I need to clarify what it means when I say decline, since that is a relative term, i.e. compared to who or what? If we examine the DeWalt line, model by model, year after year, we see predictable changes, mostly economy of construction any manufacturer must do in order to survive. Not all of it was negative either, being forced to move column controls forward was a good idea, and had to be done to remain competitive with Sears’ claim of safer operation. Yet if we compare the DeWalts of that period to other makes, it still remains a superior machine. It was only at the closing years that things really went into the toilet for the radial saw division, the model 7700 round arm, mfd. 1985- 1988:

It’s a pitiable end to a great legacy of a once magnificent tool line.

- Beachside Hank

Dave Cav
03-31-2013, 10:49 PM
Hank, here is a picture of my Dewalt RAS. I think it the model is 7551. I believe was made around 1970. It is not a round top but seems substantial and does what I want.

I would think so. You have one of the "super duty" industrial saws. They are still in production, under the Original Saw name.

Brian Brightwell
04-01-2013, 10:27 AM
I would think so. You have one of the "super duty" industrial saws. They are still in production, under the Original Saw name.

Thanks for the reply Hank and Dave. I bought it without knowing much about Dewalt RAS line. I think I did good $400 and only had to do minor repairs.