PDA

View Full Version : Planer and Figured Cherry Disaster

Jerry Thompson
03-28-2013, 1:13 PM
I had a perfectly jointed book matched cherry panel for a Shaker 1840 clock. One last run through the planer @ < 1/16th of an inch and I was done. At the very last moment on the trailinng edge I heard a noise. A one inch wide 1.5'' long deep hunk came out @ the very end. I had cut it long but not that long.
I cannot find the piece anywhere as I use my planer out side. It makes me want to tear my hair out in great wads. At least I have some more 8/4 cherry to sift through.
Next I am going to count to ten in Roman Numerals and go look at my cherry stock.

Jerry Thompson
03-28-2013, 1:39 PM
An addendum to The Disaster. It hit me like a flash, I had another half piece that would match up with the intact half of the panel. Same thing, last trip through the planer and out came a hunk on the trailing edge. This one is not as bad. As my wife siggested we can make the clock about an inch shorter and it'll work. I just hope thnigs don't keep going so badly and adjustments have to be made until I end up with a pocket clock.

Bill White
03-28-2013, 2:19 PM
As I say:
When everything else fails, everything else fails.
Press on regardless.
By the way, that was an original (I think).:D
Bill

Kevin Bourque
03-28-2013, 2:46 PM
I feel for ya brother.....( wheres the crying face emoticon?)

Don Morris
03-28-2013, 6:08 PM
Isn't that supposed to happen? I thought stuff like that always happens...it does to me.

Robert Chapman
03-28-2013, 8:44 PM
Maybe a helical cutter head on the planer would help?

Jerry Thompson
03-28-2013, 8:50 PM
The next one I do is going to be 5'' longer. Now my jointer is acting wacky. At least when I took a shower this morning nothing fell off. I hope this is a run of bad luck that will end soon. I have been having good luck for a stretch so the bad is enening things out.

Don Kingston
03-28-2013, 9:08 PM
also try the abc's backward. that is a tricky one. I don't know roman numerals that good.

John Piwaron
03-29-2013, 8:25 AM
Now my jointer is acting wacky. At least when I took a shower this morning nothing fell off. I hope this is a run of bad luck that will end soon. I have been having good luck for a stretch so the bad is evening things out.

I thought that sort of thing only happened to me. :(

Don Jarvie
03-29-2013, 10:22 AM
Take a break from the WWing and tune up your machines. A little clean upand adjustments can go a long way.

Jerry Thompson
03-29-2013, 1:33 PM
Now if I can just find that little spring out of my jointer.

C Scott McDonald
03-29-2013, 6:12 PM
I have been there! I just call it a day after that stuff happens. I have an old delta 22-540 and it snipes straight grain wood like crazy. Forget about figured wood.