PDA

View Full Version : Dust exhaust for lathe?

Brian Kent
03-28-2013, 12:25 PM
I am wondering about an inexpensive dust exhaust fan for the lathe. No imagination about eliminating dust or curlies - just some dust reduction while sanding.

There is a hole in the garage wall behind the lathe - about 10" x 14". I am looking at $40 to $200 solutions.

I am not starting from scratch. I have the Delta 50-760 dust collector attached to 4 power tool in the middle of the room, a Jet Air Filtration unit, a broom and a couple of shop vacs. I also wear a 3M half facepiece respirator. The Delta is too far away to run a duct efficiently to the lathe.

I do not like too much excess noise.

Any suggestion?

Rich Harkrader
03-28-2013, 3:40 PM
How about something like these?

http://www.amazon.com/LEDwholesalers-GYO2402-6-Inch-Hydroponic-Booster/dp/B003YFADW8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364499566&sr=8-1&keywords=duct+fan
http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-ACFB8-8-Inch-Line-Booster/dp/B001G6XSGU/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1364499566&sr=8-10&keywords=duct+fan

Brian Kent
03-28-2013, 4:15 PM
Looks good.

Scott Hackler
03-28-2013, 4:25 PM
Go to your local HVAC company and ask to buy an old squirrel cage fan. It will move more air than anything else and you can usually snag one for $20-$40. Make sure the capacitor is still attached and you can wire on a 110v piece of electrical wire with a plug and plug it in where ever you want. I would suggest fastening a small section of rabbit fencing to keep sandpaper, rags or turnings from getting sucked into the fan! You could even make a "scoop" out of some sheet metal to get the intake right up to the lathe.

Jim Burr
03-28-2013, 9:28 PM
The Squirre cage fan Scott refers to is commonly used in evaporative or swamp coolers...they move a ton of air but are very noisey!! They are commonly found at junk yards and HVAC places. Some BORGS may have them too. 40% of the homes in the Fresno metro area have these units. Our first house 15 years ago had one so I can attest to the noise first hand.

Brian Kent
03-29-2013, 12:07 AM
How noisy is the Harbor Freight 2 hp dust collector. I could exhaust outside instead of into the bags.

Bill Hensley
03-29-2013, 7:59 AM
I use the 13 gallon HF dust collector mounted outside. I ran a 4" line through the wall. The DC is mounted on a covered platform. The noise I hear is primarily the air being sucked into the hose. It does a fine job of removing dust while sanding and cleaning up shavings.

When I first mounted it, it caused a vibration to the wall that resonated through the shop, so I modified the mounting with rubber to isolate the vibrations.

If you go this route I suggest you remove the grid guards on the input and output side of the DC. They can clog up quickly with shavings.

Larry Pickering
03-29-2013, 9:29 AM
Box fan with an AC filter on the intake side