PDA

View Full Version : To cover or not

cecil dean
03-28-2013, 12:11 PM
Will be leaving the shop for a few months this summer. Do not want to cover my tools with any type of spray due to a friend who may need to use them a couple of times this summer. Was thinking about just covering them with a tarp but not sure if this would prevent rusting. Any suggestion on what type of tarp I should use or what would help prevent rust? I was thinking about a cotton painters floor cover tarp.

Larry Fox
03-28-2013, 12:16 PM
Don't know where you are and how humid your summers are but if we are only talking a few months I might be inclined to just apply a good coat of paste wax or boshield, turn out the lights and close the door.

Charles Wiggins
03-28-2013, 12:38 PM
Don't know where you are and how humid your summers are but if we are only talking a few months I might be inclined to just apply a good coat of paste wax or boshield, turn out the lights and close the door.

+1. In my case I would also cut the breakers to all the floor equipment.

Frank Drew
03-28-2013, 12:48 PM
Cecil,

In my experience with rust prevention (and lack of prevention!), draping machinery helps in a prolonged exposure to humidity. Plastic sheeting is fine, IMO. Keeping hand tools inside drawers or cabinets is also useful.

Larry might be correct, though, that a couple of months won't necessarily be much of a problem; can you keep a ceiling fan on during that time?

Bruce Wrenn
03-28-2013, 10:22 PM
Lowes sells vapor emitting drawer liner material that helps control rust. The vapor actually coats the metal. Use it under your painter's tarp, which you can buy at HF dirt cheap.

Bruce Volden
03-29-2013, 9:48 AM
Baby powder!

John Schweikert
03-29-2013, 9:58 AM
I bought 20 yards of Tyvek a few years back. I make custom fitting tool covers, and yes I sew them, cut out the patterns and sew. Each cover costs only a few dollars in fabric and maybe 15 minutes on a sewing machine. They also just help keep tools cleaner when not being used around active tools.

Myk Rian
03-29-2013, 10:25 AM
Cotton absorbs moisture, so stay away from that idea.
I use HTC machine covers. They're breathable.
On my TS I have an HTC on it, then a sheet of particle board on that. Stay away from any kind of treated wood.

Joe Scharle
03-29-2013, 10:27 AM
I leave 2 box fans running 24/7 and bare surfaces are kept waxed. Don't need to re-wax if not in use!
My shop (dirty area) is 25 X 36 and 1 fan works for humidity, 2 just move the heat/air better.

John Schweikert
03-29-2013, 11:21 AM
The cotton comment, wasn't sure if random or directed to the Tyvek. Tyvek is plastic, waterproof and breathable.

Myk Rian
03-29-2013, 11:39 AM
If you read all of the OP, ...........