PDA

View Full Version : Stopping the Wobbles...

Reed Gray
03-28-2013, 11:27 AM
Found this one, too good not to share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c55CIFJjooI

robo hippy

Bret Schaffner
03-28-2013, 11:56 AM
Found this one, too good not to share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c55CIFJjooI

robo hippy

good idea just make sure you rest is true to center

Larry Marley
03-28-2013, 11:57 AM
That is cool. Thanks for sharring.

Fred Belknap
03-28-2013, 12:24 PM
KISS is what I like. Thanks Reed

James Combs
03-28-2013, 12:49 PM
duhhh... (as he slaps self in head) Sometimes it is the obvious that is the most hidden.

David C. Roseman
03-28-2013, 12:54 PM
Brilliant trick! Reed, thanks for posting. Just wish I'd seen this last week, when I made another vacuum chuck for reaching into deeper vessels. 3" x 7" section of pvc, set into a slot in a threaded hardwood faceplate with JB Weld. Would have made it a lot easier to true up the pipe as the epoxy set!

David

James Combs
03-28-2013, 12:58 PM
Brilliant trick! Reed, thanks for posting. Just wish I'd seen this last week, when I made another vacuum chuck for reaching into deeper vessels. 3" x 7" section of pvc, set into a slot in a threaded hardwood faceplate with JB Weld. Would have made it a lot easier to true up the pipe as the epoxy set!
David
What David Said only about 3-4 weeks ago.

bob svoboda
03-28-2013, 1:45 PM
Brilliantly simple. Thanks, Reed.

Scott Hackler
03-28-2013, 4:32 PM
I can't believe I hadn't thought of that! Thanks Reed.

Allan Ferguson
03-28-2013, 6:50 PM
Could not be any simpler, could it? Allan

Timothy Mann
03-28-2013, 7:15 PM
I saw this on Youtube earlier today and had the same reaction as everyone else, simple but a great idea.

Harry Robinette
03-28-2013, 7:23 PM
Thanks for posting it Reed. We all need to remember to post the little things we come up with or see or hear most will help most of us.

mark ravensdale
03-28-2013, 8:03 PM
Watch some of his other videos, and I have but two words on my mind, DUST and LUNGS !!!

robert baccus
03-28-2013, 8:50 PM
That's a really simple great trick. Has anyone tried truing up a flat surface or a square stick (tool handle blank) with the open end of the oneway tailstock cone.

Bernie Weishapl
03-28-2013, 9:41 PM
Thanks for sharing Reed. That is about as simple as it gets.

Brian Kent
03-30-2013, 4:17 PM
This just worked beautifully on a larger staved vessel - 5" wide by 8" long. The bottom was on the live center. The top was wobbling on a jam chuck. I went the opposite direction as the video, with the tool bar slightly closer on the left (the wobbly jam-chuck side) than on the right (the live center side). Moved the bar right to left between the tool rest and the vessel and it trued up just right. I could then tighten the tailstock and finish up.

Jeff Nicol
03-31-2013, 9:40 PM
Love the accents of the Brits and the Aussies and it is a good idea and I have been using a similar technique for years, what I do is just take a small block stick of wood and hold it near the end of the blank and put steady gentle pressure on it until it stops wobbling and works every time unless you have the chuck cranked to tight as you need the blank to be able to move a little to straighen out. My way you never have to worry about something getting pinched inbetween the tool rest and the wood and making a deeply burnished spot that you may not be able to sand out if the wood fibers are crushed or bent. One last thing is that the lathe speed should be fairly slow to keep heat from building up and causing the burnished area.

Great minds think alike, but mine is just pretty good, Thanks Reed for sharing with all of us!

Jeff

Reed Gray
03-31-2013, 9:49 PM
Robert, for that one, I just eye ball it along the ways of the lathe. Gets it close.

robo hippy