PDA

View Full Version : Ring Engraving Jig

Jim Lauer
03-28-2013, 10:48 AM
Does anyone have a good jig idea for engraving the outside of rings? I have a potential customer who makes wooden rings ask if we can engrave designs in the outside. I think we could use small lathe chucks to hold a ring sizer on the rotary attachment, but was wondering if anyone else had some ideas?

Joe Hillmann
03-28-2013, 10:52 AM
I would as the person who makes the rings if he can make a stepped mandrel with one step for every size ring. Have him make them just a bit loose you can make them a tight fit with paper wedges or tape. That way if all the rings aren't the exact same size it wont be a problem.

Jimmy Phillips
03-28-2013, 11:42 AM
I would turn down a piece of wood or other material block to have a tapered end. That way if the ring sizes did not fit perfectly the jig would still work. One end would have the smallest ring size and the other end of the jig's diameter would be the largest ring size he creates. Of course come in from each end about an inch or so. Then you could just slip the ring on the tapered jig and move it up the taper until it is tight under friction (if you use wood, you could use a couple of push pins to hold it in place so it doesn't slip back down the taper). Then I would chuck the jig in the rotary attachment and get r done!

If you need help making this, just pm me. I might make one for myself on my lathe also.

Good luck!

matthew knott
03-28-2013, 4:09 PM
Keep in mind if you can't program the diameter of the part into the laser (epilog for one) then it won't work as the holder has to be the same od as the ring!

Joe Hillmann
03-28-2013, 4:20 PM
Keep in mind if you can't program the diameter of the part into the laser (epilog for one) then it won't work as the holder has to be the same od as the ring!

That is true. I just assumed you had a universal laser. Although a roller rotary will a work you just need to create your artwork the size you want it then stretch it by the same % as the % difference between the ends of your mandril that sits on the rollers and the outside of the ring. You can use circumference or diameter. The % is the same no matter which you use.

Edit: I forgot that since I was kind of replying to Matthew's post I need to add a bunch of extra letters so he can understand it in his British English. So here it is again for his benefit.

Thaat ise traue. I joust assumedu you haad a universal lauser. Althugh (had to remove a vouel from that word) a rollour roatary will a woark you joust..... you get the idea.

Matthew, I figured since it bothered you so much that us Americans were misspelling fiber laser that you would appreciate me respelling things with you in mind. :P Hope you understand it is just a joke :)

matthew knott
03-28-2013, 5:51 PM
No time to reply me and the queen are having tea and crumpets...

Dan Hintz
03-28-2013, 7:52 PM
Two small cones, deep taper, with the pointy ends facing each other. Hole through the middle to fit a rod held by the rotary device. Ring sits on top of one taper, second taper slides in to squash and center the ring between the two tapers (think like a Reeve's drive). Self-centering, and accommodates a large variation in ring size. The mandrel itself can have a large wheel at either end so you only have to program one diameter.

Jimmy Phillips
03-28-2013, 9:34 PM
Two small cones, deep taper, with the pointy ends facing each other. Hole through the middle to fit a rod held by the rotary device. Ring sits on top of one taper, second taper slides in to squash and center the ring between the two tapers (think like a Reeve's drive). Self-centering, and accommodates a large variation in ring size. The mandrel itself can have a large wheel at either end so you only have to program one diameter.

I like it! Good idea Dan!

Bruce Boone
03-28-2013, 9:39 PM
I do it like Dan said, but I have a flat wall on the rotary device side and hold the ring on with a short conical aluminum turned section and nut that ride on a threaded rod. This allows one edge to always be a specific distance from the machine zero and it can hold any ring size.

Balsanu Gabi
03-29-2013, 4:32 AM
Ask a penturner and he or she will point you in the right direction.