PDA

View Full Version : I think I lost my lathe... (pics)

Ed Lang
05-10-2005, 9:20 AM
My nine year old asked if he could turn a pen this past weekend. After turning two, he decided he liked turning a LOT. Yesterday he got home from school and did his homework so he could go back to the shop! I had to chase him out to go to bed.

He took his first to school and showed his teacher and bus driver. He was still all smiles when he got home.

I will be bringing his second, third, forth...... pens with me on Saturday. We wants to give them to the Freedom Pens Project. He decided to keep his first one, I told him that was a good idea.

I can still use the broom whenever I want to!

http://kc4ylx.smugmug.com/photos/21723340-S.jpg
http://kc4ylx.smugmug.com/photos/21723317-S.jpg
http://kc4ylx.smugmug.com/photos/21723328-S.jpg

Dennis,
Joe used beeswax for the finish on one of his pens last night after sanding to 2500 grit. Thanks so much!!

Jeff Sudmeier
05-10-2005, 9:27 AM
Ed,

Congrats! I am sure you are more than willing to lose your lathe to your son! I hope that he sticks with it.

Karl Laustrup
05-10-2005, 9:55 AM
I can't really think of a better way to lose a lathe. Congrats to your son.

Perhaps a new lathe is in your future. :) Well, at least he let's you do something [sweeping]. :D

David Wilson
05-10-2005, 10:03 AM
Ed
Great story. If lathes are anything like computers, your son will soon be giving you lessons.

Glenn Hodges
05-10-2005, 10:29 AM
Much better to loose a lathe than a son. This is such a great idea, he might start his own pen business.

Royce Meritt
05-10-2005, 1:35 PM
That's a better way to lose a lathe than how I usually lose mine. When I can't use my lathe its because it is buried behind a mound of sawdust, some boards, several pounds of cut-offs, a few clamps and maybe an old shop towel or two. Even though you might not be able to use your lathe at least you can see it!

Ken Salisbury
05-11-2005, 6:21 AM
I hope you are bringing that young man with you Saturday. He and I could make some more pens for the project. I might even be able to learn something from him.

Chris Lee
05-11-2005, 7:10 AM
Just think of it as an opportunity to buy a new, bigger lathe!!! And when he is ready he can move up to that and then you go buy a Oneway. It's a vicious cycle! I hope my daughter takes an interest when she is older.
Congrats,
Chris

Ed Lang
05-11-2005, 11:54 AM
Ken,

I had thought about asking him but expect he will get tired of sitting around. I am not sure what all is going to go on.... but figure I could sit and be still better than he could. I am going to ask him tonight and let him read this thread. Then who knows... I might bring a screen room to set up and give him a place to "play" out of the sun and for any others that might like to as well.

Wonder if anyone thought of name badges so we all will know who is who.....

Jerry Clark
05-11-2005, 7:14 PM
Couldn't happen to a nicer guy! He is on cloud nine with you and his friends.:)

Jack Savona
05-12-2005, 6:31 AM
No better words he can say in life than: "My Dad taught me."

Jack

Michael Stadulis
05-12-2005, 6:42 AM
Dear Joe,

Your Dad sure sounds verrrrrry proud of you, and I would be too! My daughter hasn't taken to the lathe yet. Keep those freedom Pens coming.

Michael Stadulis
Clarksboro, NJ.......near Philadelphia, PA