PDA

View Full Version : Help with Laserpro Mercury I 25w Laser

Brad Way
03-28-2013, 8:38 AM
I just purchased a used Laserpro Mercury I laser and it is working well. However there are a few things I am unsure of. I believe the limit switch for the table in the upper most position isn't working correctly. I also am missing the gas shocks on the lid. I am hoping someone with the same laser can post a few pictures so I can get it working correctly.

Thanks!

Chad Fitzgerald
03-28-2013, 9:26 AM
Hi Brad, i have a laserpro spirit, i dont know how similar they are but i can try to help.
the shocks on the lid, i think you can get them at an auto parts store. mine are about 7 1/4" center of ends, when closed.
as far as the limit switch, whats it doing, or not doing. Mine can be adjusted up or down with an allan wrench if its just out of wack. i dont have a camera so i cant take pics for you. well i have one but its a piece of....
Chad

Chuck Stone
03-28-2013, 1:06 PM
I have a LaserPro Mercury I (30w) and the shocks were just about gone when I
got it. After getting bonked on the head one last time, I disconnected them and
have a hook in the ceiling over the laser. A bungee cord through the handle holds
the lid up just fine, and I haven't been knocked unconscious since!

As for the limit switch, mine is on the inside of the white machine frame (not the rails)
and closest to me on the left. Small switch, brown and black wires. The actuator arm
faces down. Easy enough to put a meter on it to check continuity. The switch might
be a $2 item at Radio Shack if yours isn't working.. but then, getting anything out of
Radio Shack without signing a 2 year contract is getting more and more difficult now..

Mark Sipes
03-28-2013, 2:39 PM
$3.49 just had to replace one of mine on a Trotec. Roller Lever Switch 275-0017

Richard Rumancik
03-28-2013, 5:46 PM
Brad, what is the date of manufacture of your machine? If it is the same as mine I have the following notes in my file for the gas springs:

Compressed length: 7.25"/184mm
extended length 10.75" (273 mm)
body dia: .730 (19mm)
rod dia: .350" (8mm)
force 12 lbs (55N)
stroke 3.5" (89mm)

I could not find an exact match and used a Columbia struts gas spring. http://www.columbiastruts.com/

I ordered from eBay several years ago but I don't think they are sold there anymore. You can order from the website. The closest I could find is the 12 extended 3" stroke with 20 lb force. (looks like it would have been a CS1200-20). The force is more than I wanted but works okay. I make a new angle bracket because of the longer extended length. Do you have the brackets and ball ends? If so try to get ends that match the ball diameter (probably a metric sized ball). Maybe you can find a closer match than I did from somewhere else. A lot of springs at the auto supply are too long and too high in force. You need more like a toolbox strut.

Can you be more specific what you need to know about the limit switch?

Tony Lenkic
03-28-2013, 6:20 PM
For my ULS machine I ordered replacement gas springs for H.A. Guden Co.

www dot guden dot com/Control/Gas-Springs

Brad Way
03-28-2013, 10:31 PM
$3.49 just had to replace one of mine on a Trotec. Roller Lever Switch 275-0017

Can anyone take a picture of their limit switch? Here is what is odd. If I press the Auto focus the table comes up until the auto focus probe hits the table. However the probe actually hits the ruler that is located on the upper side of the table. I used to think this was a limit switch problem but now I am thinking it is a home position problems. Where is the home position..in the upper left corner? I am using the auto focus wrong?

Thoughts?

Thanks everyone for the information on the shocks...I will probably order a few from McMastercarr.

Brad Way
03-28-2013, 10:41 PM
Brad, what is the date of manufacture of your machine? If it is the same as mine I have the following notes in my file for the gas springs:

Compressed length: 7.25"/184mm
extended length 10.75" (273 mm)
body dia: .730 (19mm)
rod dia: .350" (8mm)
force 12 lbs (55N)
stroke 3.5" (89mm)

I could not find an exact match and used a Columbia struts gas spring. http://www.columbiastruts.com/

I ordered from eBay several years ago but I don't think they are sold there anymore. You can order from the website. The closest I could find is the 12 extended 3" stroke with 20 lb force. (looks like it would have been a CS1200-20). The force is more than I wanted but works okay. I make a new angle bracket because of the longer extended length. Do you have the brackets and ball ends? If so try to get ends that match the ball diameter (probably a metric sized ball). Maybe you can find a closer match than I did from somewhere else. A lot of springs at the auto supply are too long and too high in force. You need more like a toolbox strut.

Can you be more specific what you need to know about the limit switch?

My machine is a 2003. Thanks for the information. This is exactly what I was looking for. Now I just need to find the parts. As for the limit switch see my prior post.

Richard Rumancik
03-29-2013, 12:20 PM
. . Here is what is odd. If I press the Auto focus the table comes up until the auto focus probe hits the table. However the probe actually hits the ruler that is located on the upper side of the table. I used to think this was a limit switch problem but now I am thinking it is a home position problems. Where is the home position..in the upper left corner? I am using the auto focus wrong? . . .

Well, a few comments about autofocus. . . .

I would not autofocus on an empty table as I think it is risky. The table has to go up first to trip the switch in the probe, then back down. The upward travel could be in the prohibited travel zone on an empty table if I am not mistaken. So you could trip the max. upper table limit. I am not in front of my machine and going by memory . . .

The autofocus is intended to be used on the surface of the item to be processes which usually is elevated above the table by quite an amount, especially if using the cutting table.

Also you would not normally focus when at the home position. The probe is on the right side of the carriage so if it is hitting the ruler your home is probably off. If you don't know how to reset the home position, ask, and I will look up the procedure.

Having said all that, many of us do not use the autofocus "feature". Once you crash your machine you will realize the inherent risks in using it. e.g. If you inadvertently press "autofocus" when trying to raise or lower the table, you might get a surprise (depending what you have on the table.) I build a guard around the autofocus buttom, modified the wiring etc to disable autofocus during cutting, then decided it just was not worth it after all. I use the probe exclusively.

Brad Way
03-29-2013, 4:40 PM
Well, a few comments about autofocus. . . .

I would not autofocus on an empty table as I think it is risky. The table has to go up first to trip the switch in the probe, then back down. The upward travel could be in the prohibited travel zone on an empty table if I am not mistaken. So you could trip the max. upper table limit. I am not in front of my machine and going by memory . . .

The autofocus is intended to be used on the surface of the item to be processes which usually is elevated above the table by quite an amount, especially if using the cutting table.

Also you would not normally focus when at the home position. The probe is on the right side of the carriage so if it is hitting the ruler your home is probably off. If you don't know how to reset the home position, ask, and I will look up the procedure.

Having said all that, many of us do not use the autofocus "feature". Once you crash your machine you will realize the inherent risks in using it. e.g. If you inadvertently press "autofocus" when trying to raise or lower the table, you might get a surprise (depending what you have on the table.) I build a guard around the autofocus buttom, modified the wiring etc to disable autofocus during cutting, then decided it just was not worth it after all. I use the probe exclusively.

Great feedback and this is very helpful. So far I am very pleased with the Laserpro setup but just need to learn how to make everything work since it is a little different than the Epilog setup I have used in the past.

As for the home position I do think it might need to be reprogrammed so if you able to provide more detail it would be helpful.

Thanks!

Richard Rumancik
03-30-2013, 4:52 PM
Brad, here is one version of the procedure I had in my file. I have not actually followed this one but it should be good . . . The procedure I used was on the LaserPro USA site many years ago and is a bit different, but the site/page is gone.

A few points: once you get into the procedure on the control panel, you will not be able to raise or lower the table to focus. So when you are using the red beam as a pointer to find the origin, and it is out of focus, you will get poor accuracy. In my notes I indicated that I adjusted the red beam into focus by turning the table screws by moving the belt manually.

If you are not particularly fussy about getting an accurate 0,0 you can dispense with the calipers and just jog the red beam to the 0,0 origin. This option is referred to at the bottom of the procedure.

In step 9 it says "save the settings . . . .". In my other procedure it says "power off the machine to apply the origin settings . . . . " From my recollection you do need to power off to write the new origin data to the EPROM. Then you can restart and see if the setting was accepted and is correct.

If this does not seem to work let us know and we can debug it.

Brad Way
03-30-2013, 11:00 PM
Richard...thanks for the directions to set the origin. I will try this tomorrow and see how it works out.

Mohamed Dahrouch
04-11-2014, 11:32 AM
Hello Everyone, I’m new to this forum...
I really like the people here and your problems, articles and solutions are always interesting to read and explore.
For the main time, I have a problem with my laserpro Mercury 50w, which I’ve been using for a long time. When sending a file to print via my computer, and pressing the START button, the laser doesn’t work, even though it’s working (I changed the laser tube to another machine, and it worked perfectly.).
I checked other common problems, like the opened door and damaged cables, but still doesn’t work. I checked the mother board and found out that there is no power between the power supply and the mother board even though the file is running. It shall be measuring 0V~5V. (Motherboard output)
Can anyone of you please help me? Thanks in advance.
Mohamed,

George M. Perzel
04-11-2014, 12:13 PM
Mohammed;
Email me with your address and I will send you a checklist procedure for the Mercury 1.
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts
gmperzel@rochester.rr.com

Marco Laguzzi
11-19-2014, 5:05 PM
HI at all, I'm a newbe to the forum too.
Many thanks to the gurus for solutions and info...
I have a old Laserpro Mercury 25W but still in good condition. Now my machine presents a misterious problem.
On startup all axis moves correct to their sensors but after the initialisation X axis don't move to all left position... It stop in center and always in same position.
When I move manually X azis it can't move in the left half of carriage because the X 0.0 origin it's in center.
I have checked all electric connection but seems all ok. The head moves correct when i send a job but only in right half of plane.
I'have seen that if I move X axis of 100 mm with arrow keys, it moves only 87 mm. the Y it's ok.
With set origin procedure nothing changes....
Any ideas ?
thanks
Marco

Edit: i have try also system diagnostic ... seems all ok!

Richard Rumancik
11-19-2014, 8:32 PM
Marco, I am wondering if perhaps a setscrew on the x-motor pulley might have loosened, (or perhaps there is some other location in the motion system that temporarily became disenaged and then "re-engaged".)

Let's suppose the x-motor pulley setscrew was loose enough that it slipped when trying to "home". The encoder thinks that the carriage is parked at (zero, zero), but it is not - it is in the center of the table, as the belt was not moving. Then for some reason on the next command the setscrew grabs enough to engage and turn the x-pulley. Seems to me that the laser carriage would think it is at (0,0) when it is actually in the center of the table.

So if this could be reversed - loosen the screw so the encoder does not turn, move the carriage to the real 0,0 and re-tighten the screw: would this solve the problem? (You would probably still have to re-zero in software to get the fine location.)

Think this through before you try anything. I'd hate to have you break something in the process. Anybody else have a comment? Is my idea plausable or am I off-base?

Marco Laguzzi
11-20-2014, 6:12 AM
Marco, I am wondering if perhaps a setscrew on the x-motor pulley might have loosened, (or perhaps there is some other location in the motion system that temporarily became disenaged and then "re-engaged".)

Let's suppose the x-motor pulley setscrew was loose enough that it slipped when trying to "home". The encoder thinks that the carriage is parked at (zero, zero), but it is not - it is in the center of the table, as the belt was not moving. Then for some reason on the next command the setscrew grabs enough to engage and turn the x-pulley. Seems to me that the laser carriage would think it is at (0,0) when it is actually in the center of the table.

So if this could be reversed - loosen the screw so the encoder does not turn, move the carriage to the real 0,0 and re-tighten the screw: would this solve the problem? (You would probably still have to re-zero in software to get the fine location.)

Think this through before you try anything. I'd hate to have you break something in the process. Anybody else have a comment? Is my idea plausable or am I off-base?

Thank you Richard for reply and excuse me for my bad english..
No, it's not a mechanical problem. If I send a job that work fine but i must set page only 350 mm in X, else carriage bump on right end stop and machine going in error.
On startup the head go to 0,0 without problem, but X0 it's in center of table and it's always in same position.
Now I have cleaned the encoder on top of DC motor but nothing changed.
I think it's a logical problem in mainboard parameter but I don't have service manual...
Anybody have this technical manual or other informations please?
Thanks in advance
Marco

Richard Rumancik
11-20-2014, 11:20 AM
I guess I didn't quite understand what was happening on initialization.

This is what should happen:

1. On startup, the table lowers and the carriage moves to the right side and trips an optical x-sensor.
2. It then moves to the front right and trips a y-sensor.
3. Then it goes diagonally from front right to "home".
4. At this point the carriage should stop and wait for a file.
5. The display should identify this position as (0,0) ideally.

So - where is your laser behaving differently? Is it just step 5 where it puts 0,0 at the center of the table instead? Or is the carriage actually moving to the center of the table? This is where I get confused. If you clarify this point we can help better.

I know you think it is not a mechanical problem. But you also said:

QUOTE=Marco Laguzzi;2336426] . . . I'have seen that if I move X axis of 100 mm with arrow keys, it moves only 87 mm. the Y it's ok. [/QUOTE]

To me that suggests there is slippage on one shaft and I would probably say the motor pulley. When you jog, you are jerking the motor and the jerking motion might result in shaft slippage if the screw is not tight, where with smooth motion it might seem fine. (It might cut a shape at slow speed fine.) I can't quite give up on my theory yet.

I doubt it could be the encoder mounting as there is no load on the encoder wheel.

GCC does not publish any in-depth diagnostic information. Do you just have the user manual? I have a few miscellaneous technical pages on a few specific subjects I have collected but quite honestly I don't think you will find anything pertaining to your problem in any GCC manuals available to the user. I will try to collect what I have when I get time, and send it as it might help in the future. But it won't help for this problem as they don't deal with this kind of subject.

It might be worth contacting GCC. Where are you located?

Also you could try sending a message to Rodne Gold as he is a Mercury expert. I haven't seen him post recently so you could try a PM. Refer to this thread.

Bill George
11-20-2014, 1:18 PM
Thank you Richard for reply and excuse me for my bad english..
No, it's not a mechanical problem. If I send a job that work fine but i must set page only 350 mm in X, else carriage bump on right end stop and machine going in error.
On startup the head go to 0,0 without problem, but X0 it's in center of table and it's always in same position.
Now I have cleaned the encoder on top of DC motor but nothing changed.
I think it's a logical problem in mainboard parameter but I don't have service manual...
Anybody have this technical manual or other informations please?
Thanks in advance
Marco

Has it ever worked correctly? If so have there been any changes? It sounds like a software issue to me IF the machine zeros or Homes correctly on Power up but when a file is ran it goes to another Home point to start.

Marco Laguzzi
11-20-2014, 4:37 PM
To me that suggests there is slippage on one shaft and I would probably say the motor pulley.

It's impossible that motor pulley slip because the motor shaft is not circular !
All functions of the machine are ok.
But if the zero point it's in center of table, the head cannot move on left area because X coordinate are negative and firmware seems don't accept this.

Richard Rumancik
11-21-2014, 12:00 AM
Marco, plese tell me exactly what your machine does on startup. Don't just say "All functions of the machine are ok."

I repeat the normal sequence:

1. On startup, the table lowers and the carriage moves to the right side and trips an optical x-sensor.
2. It then moves to the front right and trips a y-sensor.
3. Then it goes diagonally from front right to "home".
4. At this point the carriage should stop and wait for a file.
5. The display should identify this position as (0,0) ideally.

Now if you tell me exactly what your machine does (differently) we can keep trying to help troubleshoot.

It's impossible that motor pulley slip because the motor shaft is not circular !
All functions of the machine are ok. .

What is the shape of the motor shaft and what is the shape of the hole in the pulley? I am not close to my machine.

. . . But if the zero point it's in center of table, the head cannot move on left area because X coordinate are negative and firmware seems don't accept this.

The machine driver/firmware requires that the drawing be entirely in POSITIVE drawing space. You can draw in negative drawing space in Corel but the machine won't allow negative coordinates for plotting. I understand this part.

The puzzle we need to solve is why your machine thinks 0,0 is at the center of the table. Also we need to understand why your machine is not jogging the correct distance in the x direction. I suspect these 2 items are related. I realize you do not agree with my theory regarding a loose pulley but you haven't told me anything that will rule it out once and for all.

I suppose it is possible that there is an encoder problem but I don't understand enough about its operation to come up with a theory for it.

Bill George
11-21-2014, 8:26 AM
Every stepper or servo motor I have seen either has just a round shaft or a round shaft with a flat machined. He as also never answered, "did it ever work", in other words did he buy the machine not working or did this just start? What is mysterious it always goes to the same unwanted 0,0 location after a program is loaded? Sounds like a software problem to me.

Marco Laguzzi
11-21-2014, 10:15 AM
It's 10 years that engrave work correctly.
Dc motors have round shaft with a flat machined. The Grub Screws are tigh, Impossible that pulley slip !!!!!!!!

when I turn on machine:
1. startup, the table lowers of 50 mm
2: and the X carriage moves to the right side and trips on optical sensor. OK
3. It then moves to the front right and trips a y-sensor. OK
4. it goes diagonally from front right to "home". NOT OK, Home position of y it's ok, X home position it's in center of table
5. At this point the carriage stop and wait for a file.
6. If I press start/stop , display show (0,0). I cannot move carriage to left side. If I force carriage manually , after press start/stop key it return to center of table.

I have tried to "set origin " procedure but nothing change :-(

Today I have tested encoder signal with oscilloscope. The signal it's clean and I think that encoder work good.

Thank you alt all for reply

Bill George
11-21-2014, 12:47 PM
It's 10 years that engrave work correctly.
Dc motors have round shaft with a flat machined. The Grub Screws are tigh, Impossible that pulley slip !!!!!!!!

when I turn on machine:
1. startup, the table lowers of 50 mm
2: and the X carriage moves to the right side and trips on optical sensor. OK
3. It then moves to the front right and trips a y-sensor. OK
4. it goes diagonally from front right to "home". NOT OK, Home position of y it's ok, X home position it's in center of table
5. At this point the carriage stop and wait for a file.
6. If I press start/stop , display show (0,0). I cannot move carriage to left side. If I force carriage manually , after press start/stop key it return to center of table.

I have tried to "set origin " procedure but nothing change :-(

Today I have tested encoder signal with oscilloscope. The signal it's clean and I think that encoder work good.

Thank you alt all for reply

Is there a File loaded in the Machine, unused or otherwise? Sounds like you have the remains of a previous program still in the machine Memory. I would purge out any and all files and go from that point.

Marco Laguzzi
11-21-2014, 1:53 PM
Ok Bill, maybe. But how to purge?
I know only system with key "del file"...

Now I'm trying to cut some pieces of plywood... all work fine, but only in the half plane in right of machine.
For working without error I must set work area to 350 x 458.

I think that firmware had lost some parameter inside... How to change them? I don't know key sequence to enter in service mode...

Bill George
11-21-2014, 2:58 PM
Ok Bill, maybe. But how to purge?
I know only system with key "del file"...

Now I'm trying to cut some pieces of plywood... all work fine, but only in the half plane in right of machine.
For working without error I must set work area to 350 x 458.

I think that firmware had lost some parameter inside... How to change them? I don't know key sequence to enter in service mode...

Other than Del All I do not know about your machine. Sounds like time to get a Service manual or contact the factory. Just wanted to make sure you did not have a list of Files to cut in your machine memory. If its indeed the Firmware you would need a way to reload. Is there anything on their website?
OK Just found this posting on here> http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?127622-Laserpro-Mercury-manual-needed

Richard Rumancik
11-21-2014, 7:04 PM
OK, Marco, you have convinced me that the pulley setscrew did not slip.

I can believe that the firmware has become corrupt. But that would not explain why it moved 87mm when you command it to move 100 during jogging - this part is still bothering me.

You said that you tried to re-set the zero ("Set origin" procedure) and nothing happens. I have seen a few procedures for setting origin but this one is the least complicated just to see if the machine is listening to you.

Set origin procedure (simplified):

1. Hold enter and start buttons down while turning on power to the machine.
2. Find the selection for "set origin" and press enter.
3. Jog red pointer to 0,0 (don't worry about accuracy for this test).
4. Press Enter when satisfied with position.
5. Power off to save the origin position to EEPROM, wait 10 seconds, Restart machine, and see if it homes correctly.

Did you use a procedure like this? I have a more complicated procedure if you are striving for accuracy, but that is not what we need now. This one does not take long and it will determine whether the machine is responding or not.

Are you going to try to reload the firmware? Reloading the firmware might help - it is not complicated but just make sure you understand all the steps so you don't brick your motherboard.

But as far as I know, the table size is not stored in the factory firmware. The reason I say this is that when I got a new motherboard it did not know where to home (it hung). GCC said " the new mainboard is fresh without any data stored in the EEPROM where initial data is kept, such as boundary of working area. To correct it, you need to set an origin point to the system." The firmware is stored in two Flash ROMS. So reloading the firmware into the Flash ROMS won't necessarily correct the origin point. But who knows . . . if all else fails, it might correct something else that is haunting your system.

Marco Laguzzi
12-09-2014, 2:17 AM
Solved !!!!
I've recharged firmware and now ... ALL OK :confused:

Many thanks at all :D:D:D:D:D