PDA

View Full Version : woodsmith shop tour

mike johnston
03-28-2013, 8:26 AM
Yesterday I was lucky enough to get a tour of the Woodsmith shop in Des Moines. This is the actual shop where the projects for Woodsmith and Shopnotes are designed and built. These guys do incredible work. I was really surprised at how big and extensive the photography studio was. I had always assumed the projects were photographed in someones home or garage, but instead they have stacks of walls they can configure into different rooms, even garage scenes. Steve was the gentleman who gave me the tour and has worked in the shop for over twenty years. He could not have been nicer (thank you Steve). Steve explained the of process a project from start to finish. One hint if you are planing on building a new crosscut sled I would wait a month.

Mike

PS: thanks again Steve

Rich Riddle
03-28-2013, 8:29 AM
Interesting and didn't know they had a shop there. Out of curiosity, do they have multiple machines set up as individual tools so they don't have to switch back and forth? I wonder how many of our members use these machines instead of having many tools. Thanks for the hint.

John McClanahan
03-28-2013, 4:38 PM
The Woodsmith Shop series shown on PBS stations is produced there, too.

John

Richard Wolf
03-28-2013, 6:10 PM
Interesting and didn't know they had a shop there. Out of curiosity, do they have multiple machines set up as individual tools so they don't have to switch back and forth? I wonder how many of our members use these machines instead of having many tools. Thanks for the hint.

I think you are confusing the magazine and the machine.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-28-2013, 6:50 PM

Rich...Woodsmith Magazine not.....Shopsmith tools.

Woodsmith Shop is the woodworking show seen here locally on PBS television stations.....