PDA

View Full Version : "Tip Top" Brand Handsaw, Anyone Seen the Etch Before?

David Weaver
03-27-2013, 10:24 PM
I got this off of peebay a week or two ago, it didn't arrive until today. I figured by the handle and the WS medallion that it might be a cheap second line simonds saw, but I'm pretty sure it's not (not simonds, still might be second line). I don't have any idea if simonds ever did a second line saw, anyway.

The etch says "Tip Top" and at the bottom it says "patent temper, patent ground, warranted, cast steel".

In the middle it has a songbird sitting on a branch.

Any clue who made it? It's a decent saw, not junk (you never know with the WS medallions, sometimes you end up with something floppy).

At one time, we used to talk about oddball tools, and for some reason over the last couple of months, it's like if you talked about tools like you actually liked them for the sake of liking tools, you got trolled. Be nice if we could get back to the more interesting of the tools.

I've got three more oddballs coming in the mail. When they arrive, I'll picture them.

Stan C - this is the inexpensive saw I got for our little competition. It's 5 points and no rake right now. I'll relax it a little. It's no 12, but I think it will be able to do what it's supposed to do, and more importantly for me, it's got good clean teeth on it so it won't take very long for me to relax the teeth just a little and set them.

Jim Koepke
03-28-2013, 12:33 AM
Makes me think saw etches were as varied as beer labels.

jtk

David Weaver
03-28-2013, 8:04 AM
I think you're right. That's probably a pretty good comparison.

Tim Atkins
03-30-2013, 11:15 PM
I have the same saw. I believe they are a Bishop saws. If I remember right it was a 103 saw. They also came under the "Oriole" Brand saw. They were purchased in the Disston/national saw company. I found several saws of the same handle and WS medallion with some really bold etches.
Tim

David Weaver
04-01-2013, 8:01 AM
Thanks for the info, tim. It's nice to know there's at least one other one. I cleaned up the saw a little bit saturday morning and jointed and filed it and ripped about 20 or 25 feet of cherry cabinet face frame and door sticking yesterday. It's a surprisingly good saw. Fair amount of tension in it, weight is about right, really a pleasant surprise.

Tim Atkins
04-01-2013, 9:00 AM
David, I also have "Jayhawker " and a "Oriole" ecthed saw with the same style handle. I have never tried sharpening any of these saws. I just keep them as a novelty.