View Full Version : White side router bits never cease to amaze me.

Peter Quinn
03-27-2013, 9:48 PM
Its true. There are lots of good brands out there, I'm not particularly loyal to any single maker, my collection of bits has many colors and names. But I'm always excited by the experience peeling away the rubber from a fresh whiteside bit and chucking it up in a collet. The cuts are just Soooooo clean, the carbide is razor sharp verging on scary, they always seem to have a perfect shear angle and perfect balance, like they spin smoother than some others? I'm working on a project that requires a bunch of 2 3/4" flat bottom holes 1/2" deep in maple plywood to accept LED puck lights. The veneer is "wafer thin" and tears easily on the cross grain. I made a template last weekend then realized I didn't own a bit with the proper geometry to pull off the cut. Pity.:rolleyes: Turns out whiteside was my cheapest option in a 3/4" CL pattern bit. Surprised me to realize that. I have no affiliation, just admiration.

Well, the bit came in today and I ran out to the shop before dinner like a little kid, I just had to fire up a test cut. And I did, right into the side of the template wall......bad height adjustment.....which I then fixed with bondo....but this little bit hogs out that 1/2" effortlessly in a few light passes, leaves a perfect surface. I've used plenty of them at work, usually by the time they reach me they have been abused for years and are "past peak", still better in that condition than the discount brands I've used. I'm thinking I may be going whiteside more often. I've been using them mostly for pattern bits and spiral carbides, but why stop there?

Thanks for listening.

scott spencer
03-27-2013, 9:50 PM
Great bits for sure, and made in the USA. FWIW, they also make many of the Eagle America bits.

Rich Engelhardt
03-28-2013, 6:29 AM
Thanks for listening.
No....
Thanks for posting this!

Hartville Hardware had it's 20% off bag sale going on & I picked up some Whiteside rail/stile/panel bits.
They're still sitting unopened on the coffee table in the living room & I was really thinking of returning them.

I don't "do doors" all that often.
It's borderline right now at best if it's more cost effective for me to make doors or just order them all ready done.
I have a couple/three/four projects though coming up where it would be better for me to make doors than to buy them.

Jeff Monson
03-28-2013, 10:00 AM
Great bits for sure, I do however, despise getting that thick rubber off at times. Its worth the effort though, kind of like a kid unwrapping a Christmas present. My favorite Whiteside is my top and bottom bearing pattern bit.

Jeff Duncan
03-28-2013, 10:29 AM
I don't use a whole lot of bits, but I do like Whiteside and Freud as well. My only problem with Whiteside is the shanks seem to always get some surface rust. Mind you I keep my shop heated through the winter so rust is really not an issue on bits and blades, but the Whiteside bits seem to use a different steel than other bits as they're the only ones that do it. Anyone else experience this??? I'm not bashing them at all here, as they do cut great, just wondering aloud why they're different than say Freud or other quality bits???

JeffD

Brett Robson
03-28-2013, 10:32 AM
I've been buying Whiteside exclusively for a while now. I really like the Freud bits but I've had lots of problems with the carbide chipping. I switched to the Whiteside and haven't had one chip on me yet.

Mel Fulks
03-28-2013, 11:08 AM
Jeff,that is strange, but I think they would probably tell you. Those anti-rust "emitters" sold by Lee Valley ,and others,work well on anything that is stored in a closed area. It seems they are often confused with desiccants but they actually work by putting on a super thin coating .

Bill White
03-28-2013, 11:30 AM
Uhhh? Router bits on the coffee table? What kinda decor is that?:D
Put 'em to work in the shop.
Bill

Tom Walz
03-28-2013, 11:58 AM
I just got off the phone with Chris Miller, Sales manager of Whiteside. He is checking with Whiteside engineering.

More in a little bit. We are also working on a weekend sale for you guys. An extra 10% off our already discounted prices.

O.K I have Whiteside Engineering working and Whitney is preparing the sale.

More in a little bit.

Tom

Tom Walz
03-28-2013, 1:32 PM
http://www.carbideprocessors.com/sale/

Steve Baumgartner
03-28-2013, 1:51 PM
Great bits for sure, I do however, despise getting that thick rubber off at times. Its worth the effort though, kind of like a kid unwrapping a Christmas present. My favorite Whiteside is my top and bottom bearing pattern bit.

+2, though I also like my other ones.

Steve

Rich Engelhardt
03-28-2013, 5:28 PM
Uhhh? Router bits on the coffee table? What kinda decor is thatThat my friend is the decor of a man with a very patient and understanding wife ;).