PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw blade size question

Chris Lee
03-27-2013, 8:57 PM
So i got my new to me Bridgewood PBS-540 wired up and i have to say i am really, really impressed with this saw. Im really floored at the difference in this machine, with the weight and 21" wheels and huge table i couldnt be happier. Even with the stock 2.5hp motor it cuts really well with the 1/2" bi-metal blades that the former owner through in. However i have to get some more blades as this is going to be a dedicated resaw machine. The old owner has written on the saw to use a 165" blade. On the machine it lists the minimum at 4190 and the maximum at 4260 (im assuming these are mm). How do you determine the sweet spot to use? I am probably going to put a 1" or 1 1/4" resaw king blade on it and probably order the Laguna Driftmaster fence for it as it doesnt have one. To me looking at the specs on the machine, 165" would be just a hair bigger than the minumum. Should i be sticking with the shorter 165" blade to have the most room to tension, or go a little larger? Would it make a difference if i ordered 166" or 167"? I know this seems stupid, but im not sure if the sweet spot would be the shortest blade that fits or somewhere in the middle of the range?

ive never had a saw of this size and weight so i wasnt sure how or if the blade length would affect the operation? Any input would be appreciated.

thanks,

chris

Rod Sheridan
03-27-2013, 9:13 PM
Hi Chris, the saw will tension a blade identically if it's in the reccomended range of 4190 to 4260mm.

I'd use 166 inches so that it won't be so short that you have a hard time installing it.

2.5HP is a lot of power for a bandsaw

Enjoy your new saw.............Rod

Gus Dundon
03-28-2013, 5:09 PM
Probably 165" and 167" blade would work on it with no problem.