PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Wood with Knots

Bob Deroeck
03-27-2013, 8:57 PM
Hi,

The cherry I'm using for a back splash, vanity cabinet, and baseboard radiator cover has a few small knots, none larger than a dime. Two of the knots are "loose" with the knot moving within the base wood and also somewhat crumbly. I'd like to fix these loose knots before applying Waterlox Original finish.

I was thinking of using clear epoxy (West System 407 hardener and 105 resin) to glue the moving knots, stiffen the crumbly parts and fill any depression at the knot. I'm concerned that the epoxy may soak into the basic wood portion of the cherry, effectively causing a stain that will show through the Waterlox finish. I am considering using a coat of clear shellac on the base wood around the knots to act as a shield to the epoxy, preventing it from being absorbed in the base wood. After applying the epoxy I'd sand off the shellac, then apply the Waterlox. I'll test this entire process on some scrap before attempting it on the project wood.

I'd appreciate comments on the process I've described above plus any other process you have tried to address finishing wood with knots.

Thanks.

Bob

Scott Holmes
03-27-2013, 10:26 PM
Your process is sound.