PDA

View Full Version : "Mission" accoplished, Mr. Phelps..

Phil Phelps
05-10-2005, 9:03 AM
I removed this pic from Corey's post on "laminate trimmers". I didn't mean to hi-jack his thread so I moved it to a stand alone. I wasn't intending to post this because the only "wood" involved is the frame for the bottom portion of the sign. This sign began as a picture with dementions of 9'1"x7'6". I priced it as such and when I presented the one unit construction to the clients, it had grown to 134"x110". Needless to say the "one unit" concept was shot. I talked them into 120"x100" and, two peices. Actually it is three peices. I made the "Mission" sign separatly to hang on pinch cletes. It's an all laminate exterior. And that part is fairly slow. There is a lot of trimming and filing. But it is faster and more durable than painting. The bottom is a wood frame, 1 3/4" thick and faced with 1/8" Masonite. I filled the inside with 1 1/2" Gatorfoam. Gatorfoam is a trade name for a styrene board covered with a "melamine" like face and back. It comes in various thicknesses and is light and structually sound. All the layers and letters are Gatorfoam and laminate. The upper portion is a 7"x120" wood frame with a Gator/masontie top. I had to use a latex, 3M, contact cement on the foam edge. Solvents will attack the foam. I subbed out the bells. They are sculpted foam with a poly hard coat sprayed on them. Hard as a rock but weigh about eight pounds each. Letters are Gator with a white laminate face. I used standard grade laminate for the sign and vertical grade for the copy and edge. There are three signs in all. No, I do not own a CNC. Needless to say, I've been busy. I used to post here often, but when I moved into the 1950 house in Feb., 04', I've been AOL from the Creek. I have half my kitchen in the shop floor, and maybe, just maybe, I'll paint the cabinet doors and hutch this week. Some day I'll be back as a regular. You're doing a splended job here, Keith. Thanks.

mike malone
05-10-2005, 9:21 AM
WOW Phil!!
Mike

Jeff Sudmeier
05-10-2005, 9:25 AM
Wow, that is one big sign!! You are doing a great job on it!

Keith Outten
05-10-2005, 12:17 PM
Thanks Phil,

Once again I must say your sign work is "Eye Candy". Thanks for the details and the great photo, large signs must be very challenging to design since they are required to withstand large wind loads. Making them look good seems to be only half the battle.

Jason Roehl
05-10-2005, 7:43 PM
Good to see you're actually doing something useful, Phil! :D That sign sure is colorful, and my favorite (due to my less-than stellar eyesight), LARGE LETTERS.

I hate street and store signs that are far too small to read while driving the speed limit. And I think there should be a standard for house number placement.

Now get back on that kitchen, Phil!