PDA

View Full Version : Any intermediate options?

Wade Lippman
03-27-2013, 5:04 PM
I had a Rigid oscillating sander. It was a great bargain for the price, but underpowered and a bit small. I sold it, intending on upgrading to a full size edge sander, but am not sure I really have the room for it.

Is there an upgrade from the Rigid, but smaller than a full size edge sander.

johnny means
03-27-2013, 5:40 PM
Depends on what you mean by intermediate. Jet sells a smallish edge sander. A friend of mine has one. The sanding face is probably between 2 and 3 ft long. But a lot of fellas would consider this fullsize, it is stationary.

Victor Robinson
03-27-2013, 6:39 PM
I had a Rigid oscillating sander. It was a great bargain for the price, but underpowered and a bit small. I sold it, intending on upgrading to a full size edge sander, but am not sure I really have the room for it.

Is there an upgrade from the Rigid, but smaller than a full size edge sander.

Is oscillation an important feature for you? Jet's smallest edge sander is about $1k, but it oscillates, and is a floor-standing model. On the other hand, Grizzly sells a 6x80" edge sander (approx. 2.5' platen) that can go on a benchtop but does not oscillate.

Wade Lippman
03-27-2013, 6:54 PM
Is oscillation an important feature for you? Jet's smallest edge sander is about $1k, but it oscillates, and is a floor-standing model. On the other hand, Grizzly sells a 6x80" edge sander (approx. 2.5' platen) that can go on a benchtop but does not oscillate.

Thats and excellent question. How important is oscillation? I liked it on the Rigid, but couldn't really compare it to anything.