PDA

View Full Version : Heat press psi

Balsanu Gabi
03-27-2013, 4:40 PM
Hi to all,

I need to know if there is a way to measure and show the pressure of pressing things in a heat press. I saw a video about the new Hotronics Fusion. I need to know if somethig similar can be achieved in a diy style.

Thank you
Gabi

p.s.
I post this in the sign and fabrication also but it seems this one has more visibility and activity. I apologise if doing this is wrong. Moderators please remove if is inapropiate.

Ross Moshinsky
03-27-2013, 4:43 PM
Buy a pressure gauge or force meter.

Mark Sipes
03-27-2013, 6:16 PM
$1,850 Wow Most of the items I press on my 15x15 are "apply medium pressure" what is that......? Just need a platen that will heat up to 400*.. 450* is better ........... a timer is good and platen temp is necessary. A way to adjust pressure to compensate for thickness is necessary also. Not really a DIY item when you can find them on e-bay..... The silicone pad for mine alone is $150....

Just say'in

Mike Null
03-28-2013, 6:30 AM
I believe the pressure setting is the least important of heat press settings with temperature and time being much more precise. My press is a pneumatic and has a pressure gauge but I am never exact with my pressure settings. I use mine a lot for CLT and laser sublimation. I've also used it for fabrics--vinyl and transfer. I normally use something in the medium range which I consider to be 40 psi.

Scott Shepherd
03-28-2013, 8:17 AM
Here's the sensor that's on our Geo Knight:

http://www.adafruit.com/products/166

You could cobble together this with an arduino and have a nice little pressure gauge that works just like the factory stuff. It doesn't tell PSI, it's just a relative reading, but it should allow for some consistency.

Martin Boekers
03-28-2013, 9:43 AM
I am with Mike, Through the years I adjust pressure more by touch and feel, one of the harder things to teach new employees.....

Balsanu Gabi
03-31-2013, 6:32 AM
Thanks to all for your wisdom.
Martin like you said it is the hardest thing for new employees - even I am one man show shop I still fall in this category. I will try until I will achive the right results.
Scott I will come up with a solution if trying different pressure settings will create a bunch of failures.
Mike I know you have pneumatic press and my question was somehow addressed to you. I was thinking maybe you know how your press measure the force.

Thank you all againg
Gabi

Mike Null
03-31-2013, 8:45 AM
Gabi

I am sorry but I can't provide any insight beyond the fact that there is a pressure regulator on the press which I adjust as needed. There are also two on the compressor; one of which regulates the tank pressure and the other the output pressure. I usually keep the tank pressure at about 100 psi and the output at about 60 psi. I use this supply for the press, my sandblasting outfit and other pneumatic tools.

The compressor is a small unit with a 30 gallon tank but is adequate for all my needs and I have rarely had the need for a larger commercial unit.

I have two other dedicated compressors; one for air brushing and one for my rotary engraver but neither are large enough for all purpose use.

If I were estimating how much pressure to use I think I use weight as my guide. For example, I would consider medium pressure to be equivalent to the effort needed to lift a 10 lb. weight. Light would be a 5 lb weight, heavy--a 20 lb. weight. At least those would be my starting points.