PDA

View Full Version : JDS Blank Coins

Martin Boekers
03-27-2013, 1:54 PM
Just got the new JDS catalog, and after discussions with them over the years they now make blank coins!

They have 2 styles, CC01G & CC02G they take 1.5" inserts.

Pricing is $.76 ea... case of 25 $.61ea... AP Last Case Pricing $.55

Can't vouch for quality yet, I'll get them tomorrow.

There have been posts on this type of product so I thought I'd start a new thread.

These are Bright Gold, Zinc.

Jesse Anderson
03-27-2013, 10:56 PM
Martin..

When u get the Coins please provide some picture's... I am looking for something that would be able to be Cermarked ...

Mike Null
03-28-2013, 6:43 AM
Jesse

JDS is a SD company. If you are licensed they will send you samples.

Martin Boekers
03-28-2013, 9:47 AM
Jesse

JDS is a SD company. If you are licensed they will send you samples.

Their main warehouse is in Dakota too.... Oh.... I guess that is what SD stands for Mike... After I posted
this, I kept thinking what is a SD Company....then it hit me.... :)

Frank barry
03-28-2013, 12:12 PM
Hi Martin

if you could take the time to post a picture that would be much appreciated as I am looking for coin blanks but the finish must be very good

thanks

Martin Boekers
03-28-2013, 1:31 PM
They came in, I was hoping for something a bit nicer (But what the heck they are only $.50)
They are "Gold Tone" so I don't think Cermart will work. I have a can of the JDS stuff so I'll try it later.
They are zinc so the have a little weight and sound like a coin. Not sure of the durability if someone
carries it their pocket the color may wear off. If you order these consider the one with the rope band
as it will hide any imperfection. I do wish they had a silver or nickle coin as it is my biggest seller. When I go
to NBM in May I'll bring some samples to show them what real challenge coins are like and the ones I do
from NWT Mint ($5ea wholesale)

But that being said I believe these to be a step up from the poker chip coins I do now.

Mark Sipes
03-28-2013, 2:10 PM
Have not received my 2013 Cat yet but the online picture shows color.. so the coin is double sided and must have inserts 1.5" for sublimation... right?

Martin Boekers
03-28-2013, 2:47 PM
Have not received my 2013 Cat yet but the online picture shows color.. so the coin is double sided and must have inserts 1.5" for sublimation... right?

You are correct. For the Mates I cut circles at 1.5" and print the diameter at 1.53" that way I can line them up easily.
I don't stock metal dye sub discs at 1.5" right now probably a good idea to order some....

Ruben Salcedo
03-28-2013, 2:59 PM
Martin,

JDS sales aluminum disks laserable and also for sublimation, but I see that you cut your own from mates, are you using the ones from Rowmark? JDS sales them but it says that are not laserable?

thanks.

Ruben

Martin Boekers
03-28-2013, 3:18 PM
Martin,

JDS sales aluminum disks laserable and also for sublimation, but I see that you cut your own from mates, are you using the ones from Rowmark? JDS sales them but it says that are not laserable?

thanks.

Ruben

I buy Romark Sheets and Vector cut them. they are a decal material in White, Silver & Gold. The metallics are a bit thinner.
I cover with regular masking when cutting as it saves the edge.

I don't stock aluminum 1.5" right now, you can use the laserable metal, but I would put some protective coat or laminate as the are prone to scracthing.

Ruben Salcedo
03-28-2013, 3:31 PM
I'm familiar with the material, I've used them before a few years back when i didn't have a laser, I used to cut them with scissors or paper cuter... I know they're safe to cut them in the laser but i was surprised that JDS label them not to be laserable, masking them makes sense, do you kiss cut them or you cut them all the way thru the backing?

Thank you.

Ruben

Martin Boekers
03-28-2013, 3:34 PM
Here is a test I ran today, all done with Mates, not the aluminum discs.
They are labeled as to the Mates Material Color. I photographed the blanks
to so you could see quality. I'd stay with the roped edged ones, They are OK
The flat edge show and imperfection.

I have been talked with JDS about these a year or so ago....they do listen if
you have an idea that may work. Now that these are out I expect others may
consider making them.

If nothing else these are a fun type item, If you have Fire or Police Dept, Colleges
consider marketing them as Challenge Coins. For details of the rules (Yes there are rules)
Do a Google search.

Nathan Shaffer
03-28-2013, 11:49 PM
Marty,
You have just sold me on getting a Sublimation setup. This will be awesome to have for "Flight" level challenge coins, SNCO Induction, ALS, Annual awards, etc! Too bad it might take me a few months to get a set up. In the mean time I'll work with a local guy to make them.

Respectively,
Nathan

Martin Boekers
03-29-2013, 10:36 AM
I'm familiar with the material, I've used them before a few years back when i didn't have a laser, I used to cut them with scissors or paper cuter... I know they're safe to cut them in the laser but i was surprised that JDS label them not to be laserable, masking them makes sense, do you kiss cut them or you cut them all the way thru the backing?

Thank you.

Ruben

You probably can buy a hand cutter from Michaels or Hobby Lobby for 1.5" dia. I cut all the way through then tape to the transfer sheet.
JDS probably say that so someone doesn't think that the laser will mark them. I have tried to cut them on my vinyl cutter with the
optical reader, but the material is a bit too thick. I have done thousands of poker chips in the last year or so with 1.25" die cutter from Michaels,
as I can print and transfer a full sheet the visibly center in the cutter, this way is quicker, but it does tire out the wrist....:)

I started cutting these on the laser for the 2" coins I buy from NWT Mint as they need to be cut at 1.88" so it had to be custom.

Martin Boekers
03-29-2013, 10:49 AM
Marty,
You have just sold me on getting a Sublimation setup. This will be awesome to have for "Flight" level challenge coins, SNCO Induction, ALS, Annual awards, etc! Too bad it might take me a few months to get a set up. In the mean time I'll work with a local guy to make them.

Respectively,
Nathan

Consider marketing these to bikers and explain the idea behind "Challenge Coins" I think they will be a hit.
Don't for get Colleges, Frats, Legion Posts, Fire Fighter and Police Officers etc, many of these civilian organizations are not aware of these "Challange Coins."

I intend to market them as fundraisers too, Charge $4-$5 in quantities of 25 or more and they can mark them up a few $$ to make money.

Ruben Salcedo
03-29-2013, 3:10 PM
I will try cutting with the laser first.

Thank you for sharing, Martin.

Ruben

Martin Boekers
04-02-2013, 7:24 PM
Orders have already started to come in.... I may now consider buying this punch.

http://www.usabuttons.com/ribbonawards/superpunch.htm

Main Trophy I believe is the manufacturer on this.

Cut down the cost for metal discs.. I got some discs in from JDS today, They transfer at about 25sec at 400 degrees.
This cuts down time for pressing quite a bit from Mates. Plus they don't have to be laser cut first. So with the punch
and coins, double sided tape about $.75ea. this will work! Now to get JDS to make a silver one and 2"dia...... ;)

Ross Moshinsky
04-02-2013, 7:37 PM
I don't like the mates. We use the aluminum discs. Also check out Timeframe. They have challenge coins but also do fairly low cost mylar printing. We use them regularly.

Martin Boekers
04-02-2013, 8:04 PM
I don't like the mates. We use the aluminum discs. Also check out Timeframe. They have challenge coins but also do fairly low cost mylar printing. We use them regularly.

Ross, I couldn't find Timeframe when I searched. Do they sell blanks? I found an ASI company a year ago that did insets on a cast coin, they called the "quick coins or something like that. Only company I have been aware of. Thanks for pointing out Timeframe pm me a link if you don't mind? How much do they charge, minimums, set up fees? I like this as I am starting at 5 min expect them them to be popular for promotions and retirements. I have done thousands of poker chips in the last couple years that wern't as nice. Mates have their spot. A bit expensive but durable. I could dome these but I really don't want to go there. The reason I started with mates is that I couldn't find sub discs at 1.25" (poker chips) and the 2" coins had an inset of about 1.85" mates I could laser.

Ross Moshinsky
04-02-2013, 8:23 PM
http://www.tfpromos.com/

We use them for all sorts of different things. You can't use them for smaller orders but if you're doing larger runs (100+) it's typically cheaper to let them do it.

Ruben Salcedo
04-02-2013, 9:12 PM
That looks like the right tool for your purpose.

25 sec on the discs? it seems like a very short time, are you sure that the dyes are going deep enough into the coating? seen a clear image not always means they're deep enough for the best lasting of the image in the product, I usually transfer in similar products from 45 to 60 secs.

Ruben

Martin Boekers
04-03-2013, 9:55 AM
That looks like the right tool for your purpose.

25 sec on the discs? it seems like a very short time, are you sure that the dyes are going deep enough into the coating? seen a clear image not always means they're deep enough for the best lasting of the image in the product, I usually transfer in similar products from 45 to 60 secs.

Ruben

Typically that works for me, I never thought about not going into the surface deep enough. Sometimes if I go longer I get a "transfer of the paper surface to the metal"
I am happy with the metal version as opposed to the Mates so I will be going in that direction.

Martin Boekers
04-03-2013, 9:57 AM
http://www.tfpromos.com/

We use them for all sorts of different things. You can't use them for smaller orders but if you're doing larger runs (100+) it's typically cheaper to let them do it.

This is similar to the ones I say from a vendor of Distributor Central (free version of promo items.) They look the same. Thanks!

Ruben Salcedo
04-03-2013, 4:15 PM
If by "transfer of the paper surface to the metal" you mean that you get the paper to stick to the coating? then that is do to a softer coating, in those cases lowering the temp and increasing the dwell time gives better results something like 380* to 390* and 50 or 60 sec, but whatever works for you I guess.

Yeah, I think that the aluminum discs gives a higher perceive value right?

Ruben

Martin Boekers
04-03-2013, 5:08 PM
Actually yes, the finish is smoother. Thanks for the coatng tip, wasn't sure why I get that from time to time..