PDA

View Full Version : The Baileigh Industrial "build us a box" Woodworking Contest, Win $1,600 !!!!!!

Keith Outten
03-27-2013, 12:59 PM

Join this fun giveaway, all you have to do is post an entry!
Please read and understand the rules before posting

Welcome to the Baileigh Industrial Woodworking:

"Build us a Baileigh box
and win $1,600 bucks !!"

contest and machinery giveaway!

Baileigh has a complete line of wood working machinery.
Whether you’re building the interior of an award winning yacht,
manufacturing high end cabinetry, or creating that art piece in your
hobby shop, Baileigh has you covered.

Right now we are offering free shipping on any of our wood
products to anywhere in the lower 48. Please take a moment
to browse our website and check out our entire line of machinery.

http://wood.baileighindustrial.com/

If you would like a catalog, a
quote, or would like to talk to one our
woodworking experts, please call or email.

sales@baileighindustrial.com or 920-684-4990.

Your friends here at Baileigh Industrial Woodworking are giving one Member of the
SawMill Creek Community a chance to win $1,600 in Baileigh bucks to be spent on
anything on our website. We will also include free shipping, a giant Baileigh banner for your shop,
hats, stickers and free wood machinery training by our staff of wood experts.

The Contest:

The rules are simple, impress us and the rest of the
forum by building a wooden box.
The Baileigh logo must be incorporated in to the theme of the box
No size limit, anything goes
All entries must have a name
All woodworking techniques are welcome
All entries must be well documented with pictures and / or videos to prove authenticity as long as they are built by the contestant
Enter the contest by posting your entry in this thread
We like pictures, videos, and cool stuff like that; teach us all what you did and how to build your project
Remember this is a woodworking contest, please keep the entries mostly wood if you can
Hinges, knobs and accessories are OK
Have some fun and BE CREATIVE with your entry

Please remember that this is a contest….

STAND OUT FROM THE REST AND WIN!

Should you win, we are going to need photos, testimonials,
a couple You Tube videos, and woodworking build threads
started showing just how incredible your new Baileigh machine really is.
This would be used both here on SawMill Creek.org and also on the
Baileigh Industrial websites here, in the UK, Germany and Australia.
International, baby! In a way you will become the next “celebrity spokesperson” for Baileigh.

The Rules:

The contests runs from 4-1-13 to 5-1-2013
Entries close at 12:00pm CST (high noon!) on 5-1-2013
The Baileigh woodworking team will pick the finalists
A poll will be started on the forum and will run for 1 week
The winner will be picked by the members of this forum
Winners will be notified in this thread and will have one (1) week
to respond and accept their prize. Should the chosen winner
not claim their prize, 2nd place winner will be chosen, and so on until the prize is claimed.
If anyone has any questions regarding this contest please let us
know by asking them in this thread, sending a pm, or contacting us
direct through our website.

Thank you all and good luck!

Aaron Cerkas
03-27-2013, 3:15 PM
This looks an awesome time! We should see some great entries from this. Inspire us!!

David Weaver
03-27-2013, 3:40 PM
As a hand tool gomer, I'd LOVE to win enough money to cover most of the cost of a J/P.

Keith Outten
03-27-2013, 3:41 PM
I'm counting on all of you to make this an enjoyable and friendly contest.

There is an incredible amount of talent here in every group, competition between the Flat Woodworkers in the GWW, the Turners, the Neanderthals, Laser Engravers, CNC Machinists and last but not least the Carvers will be serious I expect. And for the first time all of you will have an opportunity to compete against our Moderators :)

Get Serious and Get On It.............don't you dare let the Moderators make you look bad. Ok, Ok I threatened to take away the Moderators access to the SawMill Creek Yacht if one of them doesn't win :)

Grant Wilkinson
03-27-2013, 5:08 PM
Is this open to residents of the Great White North/Canada?

Baileigh Inc
03-27-2013, 5:54 PM
Good luck to all!

Go Baileigh or go home !!!!!!!!!!

Here is the logo for your projects!

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv302/Baileigh_Industrial/baileigh-logo-color-1_zpsaf090f9c.jpg

Baileigh Inc
03-27-2013, 5:55 PM

Yes, but there would be no free shipping.

Keith Outten
03-27-2013, 8:46 PM

Grant,

Your close enough to drive over to the Baileigh Industrial factory and pick up your machine. Not much between you and them except a lake :)

Keith Outten
03-27-2013, 8:56 PM
As a hand tool gomer, I'd LOVE to win enough money to cover most of the cost of a J/P.

David,

Did you see the recent video of the Baileigh Joiner Planer combo machine?

Rick Potter
03-27-2013, 9:14 PM
I'd better watch myself, they are only 4 miles from me. That Jointer/Planer looks pretty nice.

Rick Potter

phil harold
03-27-2013, 10:18 PM
Join this fun giveaway, all you have to do is post an entry!

that one heck of a post and a lot of fine print
;o)

All entries must be well documented with pictures and / or videos to prove authenticity as long as they are built by the constant
We like pictures, videos, and cool stuff like that; teach us all what you did and how to build your project
Remember this is a woodworking contest, please keep the entries mostly wood if you can
Hinges, knobs and accessories are OK
Have some fun and BE CREATIVE with your entry
Please remember that this is a contest….
Should you win, we are going to need photos, testimonials,
a couple You Tube videos, and woodworking build threads
started showing just how incredible your new Baileigh machine really is.
This would be used both here on SawMill Creek.org and also on the
Baileigh Industrial websites here, in the UK, Germany and Australia.
International, baby! In a way you will become the next “celebrity spokesperson” for Baileigh.

The Baileigh woodworking team will pick the finalists

The winner will be picked by the members of this forum

Mike Henderson
03-27-2013, 11:24 PM
The requirement for including the logo gives the laser people a big advantage.

Mike

Bill Wyko
03-28-2013, 1:21 AM
I didn't see the contest posted anywhere else, is this for turned boxes or for conventional boxes as well?

Baileigh Inc
03-28-2013, 7:27 AM
I didn't see the contest posted anywhere else, is this for turned boxes or for conventional boxes as well?Anything goes!

Keith Outten
03-28-2013, 8:00 AM
The requirement for including the logo gives the laser people a big advantage.

Mike

Mike,

Engraving the logo does give the laser engravers a bit of an edge but when it comes to creating the box the other disciplines have an advantage. The Turned boxes and the band saw boxes are extremely tough to beat. Baileigh is going to upload a larger logo for everyone to use and I can think of at least two ways it can easily be added to any project. A carved logo would be stunning and very tough to beat.

The playing field is perfectly level on this contest IMO.

Rich Riddle
03-28-2013, 8:05 AM
This is actually a good marketing decision on their part since they will obviously use it in advertising. To get this many ideas on what boxes to build, not to mention to get this many boxes built from which to choose, would have cost them a fortune. This caps their expense at $1600. Seems like a win-win to the folks who make boxes on a frequent basis.

Keith Outten
03-28-2013, 8:08 AM
I didn't see the contest posted anywhere else, is this for turned boxes or for conventional boxes as well?

Bill,

I expect we will see everything from miniature boxes to large hope chests. I mentioned band saw boxes, turned boxes, carved boxes, laser and CNC machined boxes. Each discipline has an edge in one area or another and since there are no size limitations everyone can take full advantage of their respective techniques. Note that there are no restrictions on the placement of the logo and no requirements concerning color, wood type, shape, etc. Multiple techniques are also acceptable, the sky is the limit.

Baileigh Inc
03-28-2013, 9:14 AM
Mike,

Engraving the logo does give the laser engravers a bit of an edge but when it comes to creating the box the other disciplines have an advantage. The Turned boxes and the band saw boxes are extremely tough to beat. Baileigh is going to upload a larger logo for everyone to use and I can think of at least two ways it can easily be added to any project. A carved logo would be stunning and very tough to beat.

The playing field is perfectly level on this contest IMO.

Yes, carved would be sweet

David Weaver
03-28-2013, 9:19 AM
David,

Did you see the recent video of the Baileigh Joiner Planer combo machine?

Yes. I'm in the middle of building a set of cabinets for my kitchen. Because I don't have a respectable jointer, all of the face and edge jointing is completely handwork. It would come in handy bigtime! I've been doing handwork long enough that it doesn't take me that long to joint boards, but it's still not nearly as easy as it would be with a good capable machine jointer.

Art Mulder
03-28-2013, 11:16 AM
Grant,

Your close enough to drive over to the Baileigh Industrial factory and pick up your machine. Not much between you and them except a lake :)

Actually, TWO lakes. 1300 km, and over 14 hrs of driving... :eek:

It'd be smarter for him to have it shipped to Ogdensburg NY, take advantage of the free shipping, and just drive south one hour to pick it up. :D
Actually, I take that back... that also presumes that he has access to a pickup truck or trailer or something like that. :o

oh well, it's still a pretty decent contest!

Keith Outten
03-28-2013, 12:10 PM
Art,

If I won something that valuable I would not hesitate to rent a truck or trailer and make a two hour drive round trip to pick it up :)
I guess its still Winter in your area so that would make a difference.

Bill Wyko
03-28-2013, 12:34 PM
Of course, I'm in.:D

Chris Padilla
03-28-2013, 1:00 PM
Well, I still want access to the SMC Yacht so looks like I will try something here. I have a couple of ideas...not sure I can pull it off, however. :D

Bill Wyko
03-28-2013, 4:41 PM
Now if I only had one of my humidors almost done. LOL

Grant Wilkinson
03-28-2013, 5:32 PM
Ogdensburg and back is just a couple of hours. No worries at all. Tks.

Leigh Betsch
03-28-2013, 6:15 PM

This is bad news for us mortals!

Bill Wyko
03-28-2013, 7:14 PM
You're a funny guy Leigh:D, I just glue wood together. Keep in mind, I learned most of what I know from all of you guys so what ever I enter I blame it on all of you. :eek::)

Bill Wyko
03-28-2013, 7:28 PM
Can you get us a very high definition logo so we can get started?:D Hand cut marquetry, no lazar will be harmed in the process. :D

randall rosenthal
03-28-2013, 8:11 PM
wish i had the time...i've carved a few cigar boxes from one block of wood.

Keith Outten
03-28-2013, 11:22 PM
Randall, you have to enter at least a small box, everyone here will be disappointed if you can't participate.

Bill, Shane said he would upload a larger logo.

Kathy Marshall
03-29-2013, 12:33 AM
Well I'd like to be able to take a little jaunt on the SMC Yacht too so I guess I need to see if I can turn a special little box!

Sam Murdoch
03-29-2013, 7:21 AM
I've got an idea for a contest entry but sadly no time for arts and crafts this spring. :(
Pretty cool contest though - will be looking forward to see what comes out of the woodwork.

Baileigh Inc
03-29-2013, 7:24 AM
Here is the high res logo for you guyshttp://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv302/Baileigh_Industrial/baileigh-logo-color-1_zpsaf090f9c.jpg

Bill Wyko
03-29-2013, 12:22 PM
My guess is that this contest will bring out some heavy hitters. Can't wait to see the boxes that come out of this contest.

Andrew Joiner
03-29-2013, 12:38 PM
So who gets the box? Does Baileigh keep it or the maker?

Baileigh Inc
03-29-2013, 12:48 PM
So who gets the box? Does Baileigh keep it or the maker?

No, we dont need it. You guys can keep them. Unless its totaly awesome, maybe we could put it in our lobby.

Rick Markham
03-29-2013, 10:11 PM

I'd fully expect since Bill is in that the moderators won't be doing any yachting anytime soon!!! :p

Go Bill!!! Bring your A game fellas... you're going to need it! :D

Baileigh Inc
03-31-2013, 8:55 AM
Starts tomorrow!

Peter Aeschliman
03-31-2013, 12:59 PM
My prediction: whoever does the baleigh logo with an inlay of contrasting woods will win.

Baileigh Inc
04-01-2013, 8:02 AM
Let's get this started!

Baileigh Inc
04-01-2013, 8:19 PM
Any hints on projects yet?

Kathy Marshall
04-01-2013, 9:40 PM
Any hints on projects yet?

I've got a couple of chunks of wood I'm looking at ;). Might just make the 1st cuts tomorrow.

Keith Outten
04-02-2013, 12:57 PM
Shane,

Do you have a vector logo?
If you don't have one you will soon as someone here will surely upload one to to save everyone the task of converting your bitmap.

Bill Wyko
04-02-2013, 3:45 PM
I'm getting on it tonight. I'll be starting with frame work & inlays. I've been on SMC for a long time, personally I don't think I have a chance. Win or loose though, I'd be glad to send them the box upon completion. Thanks for an awesome contest.

Baileigh Inc
04-02-2013, 4:24 PM
Shane,

Do you have a vector logo?
If you don't have one you will soon as someone here will surely upload one to to save everyone the task of converting your bitmap. Yes I have one. If anyone wants it shoot me an email shenderson@baileighindustrial.com

Bill Wyko
04-02-2013, 10:50 PM
Thanks Rick but I know I have my work cut out for me. Kathy's in the game so I'm going to have to really hustle. I'm making some dinner & heading out to the shop.

I'd fully expect since Bill is in that the moderators won't be doing any yachting anytime soon!!! :p

Go Bill!!! Bring your A game fellas... you're going to need it! :D

Kathy Marshall
04-03-2013, 1:04 AM
Thanks Rick but I know I have my work cut out for me. Kathy's in the game so I'm going to have to really hustle. I'm making some dinner & heading out to the shop.

There are way too many excellent woodworkers on SMC so I know exactly about how good my chances are, but Keith threatened to revoke my SMC Yacht priviledges so I decided I better enter something :eek:, besides, nothing like a little challenge to get me to push my boundaries.

Bill Wyko
04-03-2013, 12:21 PM
You all have lost me on this Yacht thing, is it an inside joke?

Bill Wyko
04-03-2013, 2:13 PM
Ok, we need some pictures. While many of you will be using lasers my friend Paul has a Chevalet. This tool was created in the late 1700's for production marquetry. It has a foot activated clamp to hold your stack of veneers and a "D" shaped saw that is held perpendicular to your cut but will move front to back and in a side to side motion. You release the the foot lever that holds the veneer & you can turn and move your stack. It cuts through all your veneers at once so the pieces can be reassembled in the order you prefer. Anyway, enjoy the pics & good luck to everyone.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-K4C-tjYTEtw/Tc2AKmcxwYI/AAAAAAAAFms/rUh1wiX8Xwk/s640/DSC01229.JPG
Then there's figuring out the veneers. Here are some I'm considering.

Baileigh Inc
04-03-2013, 8:56 PM
Good luck to all!

Keith Outten
04-03-2013, 9:52 PM
Bill,

The Chevalet is an interesting tool. Can't say that I understand its function very well but I get that it cuts multiple pieces of veneer. So if you are building a box and want to use veneer how does the Chevalet help other than cutting identical pieces?

It's an inside joke, since our Moderators are all volunteer they are given access to our fictitious SawMill Creek yacht, our cabin in the mountains or the jet plane :)

Bill Wyko
04-04-2013, 5:30 PM
LMAO sounds good to me. The way it works is, you see the knob on the upper left, it has a jewelers blade going from the knob to the other side and through that little V groove in the light colored piece of wood. The light pieces are the clamp that you put your stack of veneers between. There's a foot lever that activates the piece of wood with the V in it that allows you to clamp and release your stack of veneers so you can turn the stack & follow your drawing. the whole armature that the knob is attached to moves back and forth to make the cut. This devise is what the logo will be cut out with.There will be more pics soon.:D

Bill Wyko
04-05-2013, 5:55 PM
Probably giving away some of the idea here but we need pics and post, come on everyone, lets see some teaser shots. This is the beginning of the marquetry from the Chevy posted above. One cut at a time.

Baileigh Inc
04-05-2013, 6:01 PM
Probably giving away some of the idea here but we need pics and post, come on everyone, lets see some teaser shots. This is the beginning of the marquetry from the Chevy posted above. One cut at a time.

Could you find a smaller picture? Ha Ha !

Bill Wyko
04-05-2013, 6:57 PM
Can't let you all see the tiny details. There's a hidden secret that will add a lil extra to it.

Bill Wyko
04-05-2013, 11:05 PM
OK here is the Chevalet in action. My friend Paul built it and is quite the pro on it, I'll be building one after my work bench project is done. He's teaching me this wonderful skill as we go.
https://picasaweb.google.com/paulm549/BaileighLogo?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCLWyre2awozjHw&feat=directlink#5863533929715601218

Jon Lanier
04-06-2013, 3:32 PM
I'd love to give this a go... I've got a pretty good idea... Just not enough time to get it done. A longer window period would have been nice. Some of us still can't get into the shop do to the weather. Good luck to all those who are giving it a shot!

Rick Markham
04-06-2013, 9:52 PM
Keith mentioned up there that if one of the mods doesn't win, there will be no borrowing of the SMC Yacht :eek: I'm just cheering you on Bill! There will no doubt be an incredible showing of talent in this, I look forward to seeing what everyone makes! :)

Bill Wyko
04-07-2013, 1:03 AM
You may remember the big curved humidor I was building, I've been in need of an edge sander for over a year to finish that project. I really have to pull all the stops here.:D Can't show too many more pics, don't want to tip my hand too much.;)

Lawrence Richards
04-09-2013, 4:40 PM
Excellent and thank you-- I'm in (I think)

Lawrence

Matt Mitman
04-09-2013, 8:22 PM
Not entirely sure I'll have time to finish this, but figured I'd go ahead and get started and see how far I can go. The box itself wont take too long, but I still have to build the overly complex locking mechanism that'll go with it...

Baileigh Inc
04-09-2013, 8:32 PM
Not entirely sure I'll have time to finish this, but figured I'd go ahead and get started and see how far I can go. The box itself wont take too long, but I still have to build the overly complex locking mechanism that'll go with it...

259490That looks great!

George Hymon
04-09-2013, 11:10 PM
This looks like fun and I am all in!

Dick Bipes
04-10-2013, 6:35 PM
I could use a box for my dado set. I'm thinking what says "industrial" better than diamond plate - custom Baileigh diamond plate?

Bill Wyko
04-11-2013, 1:06 PM
I have access to a laser but since it's a woodworking contest, I figured the challenge of cutting out the logo by hand and getting a learning experience from my friend Paul on Marquetry was a win in itself, he really is a master of Marquetry. Box is coming along beautifully, I have some veneer in the vacuum press flattening out so I can begin assembly. As I said before, this will bring out some heavy hitters. Looking good guys.

All cut by hand on an 18th century Chevalet. (Sorry about the dusty camera lens.)

Baileigh Inc
04-11-2013, 1:19 PM
I have access to a laser but since it's a woodworking contest, I figured the challenge of cutting out the logo by hand and getting a learning experience from my friend Paul on Marquetry was a win in itself, he really is a master of Marquetry. Box is coming along beautifully, I have some veneer in the vacuum press flattening out so I can begin assembly. As I said before, this will bring out some heavy hitters. Looking good guys.

All cut by hand on an 18th century Chevalet. (Sorry about the dusty camera lens.)Holy Crap!

Bill Wyko
04-11-2013, 1:26 PM
LMAO, thanks. That's just the beginning, there are some other cool features I'm working on.

David Epperson
04-11-2013, 1:27 PM
Holy Crap!
And you thought Leigh was kidding in post #20?

Peter Aeschliman
04-11-2013, 1:29 PM
That's what I'm talking about. That is incredible. And the inlay with the saw blade is a really nice, subtle touch. Holy crap is right!

Matt Mitman
04-11-2013, 3:21 PM
Looking really nice Bill - the sawblade and drop shadow are a great touch.

Going to be a couple days before I get back out to the shop, so figured I'd post the small update since then, walls are on now, so when I get back, will dive into the mechanism that ties it all together :)

Bill Wyko
04-11-2013, 4:24 PM
A labyrinth, what a great idea. I use to have one of those, used it all the time.

Matt Mitman
04-11-2013, 6:05 PM
Yep - been wanting to try this general idea for awhile now, and the contest is a great excuse to actually get started. Plan is the bb will have to be in the goal position (which will be bottom center once I add in the latch mechanism) in order for the latch to be functional, anywhere else and it will remain locked.

Dick Bipes
04-11-2013, 7:53 PM
Awesome works in progress!

I was still working on design, and got inspired to use the logo shape as the sides of a square box. Looking carefully, the sides of the logo have a subtle curve to them. It's obvious that the top and bottom are curved. This means that a box with logo-shaped sides would have no flat panels, and top and bottom would be compound curves. Not something that I've done before, but what the heck.

The attached rendering is crude and incomplete, but you probably get the idea.

Bill Wyko
04-11-2013, 8:31 PM
Does anyone at Baileigh smoke cigars?:D

Keith Outten
04-11-2013, 9:21 PM
Nice work guys, this is going to be an interesting contest.
Bill the saw blade is beautiful.

Dan Hahr
04-11-2013, 11:52 PM

All cut by hand on an 18th century Chevalet. (Sorry about the dusty camera lens.)

Damn.
Fold.
Good luck everyone. Dan

Bill Wyko
04-12-2013, 12:26 AM
Thanks Keith, Paul is quite skilled and a great teacher. He's now a member here so please give him a warm welcome. Can't wait to build my own Chevalet.

Had to finish drying the veneer tonight in the Rec Tec pellet smoker. Should have a nice smoky Hickory aroma. LOL Got the veneer on the sub straight & back in the vacuum bag. Paul turned me on to a type of Hyde glue, the stuff is fantastic. I may even leave my Titebond on the shelf for this one.

Bill Wyko
04-13-2013, 11:52 AM
My make shift veneer kiln, grab the bull by the horns. LMAO I put the veneer between 2 aluminum plates & some packing paper then place it all in the smoker @ 200 degrees for a couple hours. Actually worked fantastic.
BTW, this thing makes an awesome rack of ribs too. LOL.

Dick Bipes
04-13-2013, 3:22 PM
I've gotten a few parts cut out and am working on more. The top/cover will have a frame built around it and will be a little larger than just the inset piece. I cut some scrap plywood to roughly the shape of the sides to check my compound miter angles.

259854 259855

Bill Wyko
04-13-2013, 4:51 PM
Looking great, should be a real contender. Looking forward to the rest of it. None of use are safe so far.

Dick Bipes
04-14-2013, 1:37 PM
I completed the sides and cut the critical miters. Looks like a good fit. Now you can see the subtle curve in the faces of the sides. With the straight edges of the boards no longer needed to cut the miters, the next step is to cut the top and bottom curves on the bandsaw.

259923 259924

Keith Outten
04-14-2013, 4:06 PM
Oh Yeah :)

Dick I like the tapered sides using the logo, thats pretty slick.
Can't wait to see how you incorporate the diamond plate design.

Dick Bipes
04-14-2013, 4:16 PM
Thanks. Once I decided to use the logos as the box sides, the logo's curves dictated much of the rest of the shape of the box, and that just fell into place. Although details of design have been evolving as I go - has that ever happened to you? I just decided an hour ago to change direction on the lid hinges.

Dick Bipes
04-14-2013, 7:33 PM
I machined the bottom but will wait until tomorrow to cut and fit it. Still working on the hinge design.

Bill Wyko
04-15-2013, 1:44 AM
That's really looking great. I knew this would bring out the best of us. Excellent design.

Dick Bipes
04-15-2013, 5:14 PM
Thanks!

Today I cut the bottom a bit oversize, then gradually "snuck up" on the exact dimensions by trimming a fraction of an inch on all sides, then test-fitting the part. In this photo I was nearly there - the bottom fits flush with the sides now. Starting to look like a box.

Next it was on to cutting the curved frame pieces for the top and again making critical compound miter cuts for the proper fit. The frame is joined to the top with biscuits, and Ryobi mini biscuits are also used at the ends of the frames on the 45 degree angled surfaces.

Bill Wyko
04-16-2013, 12:42 PM
I'm enjoying the contrast that mine is being done with an 18th century Chevalet while yours is being done on a 21 century CNC. Both require a special set of skills and produce unique results. Then there are those out there not giving up any clues at all. What a fun contest to see transpire. Still, no one is safe, what a blast.:)

Dick Bipes
04-16-2013, 12:53 PM
Yes, curious as to other entries. I guess I took this:

All entries must be well documented with pictures and / or videos to prove authenticity as long as they are built by the contestant

to mean do it as you go.

Bill Wyko
04-16-2013, 3:51 PM
I made good progress on the box portion of mine this weekend. It's clamped up right now, pics tomorrow. How about some of you lurking in the darkness share some pics with us. By now we all should be set in the direction we are taking. (Maybe there are too many people out on that SMC canoe paddling around w/o internet service) LOL

richard poitras
04-16-2013, 4:46 PM
Great looking boxes guys …. I guess I can’t do one with my 18th century Chevalet just yet but give me about a week and my Chevalet should be finished. :cool:

Richard

But then again I still have to get good at using it. :eek:

Phil Thien
04-16-2013, 5:05 PM
Very impressive work so far! Just amazing.

Bill Wyko
04-16-2013, 5:05 PM
You'rebuilding one? I'm jealous, I want to get started on one soon. What a great tool to have in the arsenal.

Bill Wyko
04-16-2013, 6:03 PM
Does anyone at Baileigh smoke cigars?:D

I ask this in case I have time to complete this as a humidor.

richard poitras
04-17-2013, 12:02 AM
You'rebuilding one? I'm jealous, I want to get started on one soon. What a great tool to have in the arsenal.

Yep! I just have to finish assembling the last few parts that I made last week. I hope to have it done next weekend and plan on posting pictures on the forum once completed. I took a class at the American School of French Marquetry after talking with Paul and I am looking forward in working on some projects on my own.

Richard

Bill Wyko
04-17-2013, 1:55 AM
I got to work on his first hand, I really enjoy this device. He's back in Canada so if I want to use one now, I'm going to have to build it. How long did it take you to build yours? Be sure you PM me when you post it.

Bill Wyko
04-17-2013, 2:04 AM
OK, more pics. This is the box all clamped up. Next I'll be rounding over the corners with the round over bit from hell. This thing is frightening to use so I take a LOT of small cuts little by little. Below are the pieces for the inlaid corners and the pieces it takes to do it. This is a technique I learned here on SMC. So now you can see where I'm going with it. The lid is almost done & I need to build the base next. Finish is my biggest challenge, I'll need the last 2 weeks to do it. With only 30 days, I have to go with what I know.

Baileigh Inc
04-17-2013, 8:52 PM
That is lookin slick man

richard poitras
04-17-2013, 9:36 PM
Bill what kinds of wood are you using for your project.

Richard

Dick Bipes
04-17-2013, 9:56 PM
Bill that's a very neat design in the corners. Can you post some higher-resolution photos? I would love to see more detail.

Bill Wyko
04-18-2013, 4:39 AM
Thanks very much.
The woods are Tropical Walnut, (very) curly Koa, burl Maple and hard Maple. The logo is Holly, ebony, canary and purple hart.
So far I've used my phone for pics, I'll take some better ones with my camera if I can get the 2 in the same room, I use my camera at work so I rarely remember to bring it home. Tomorrow night I'll build the base and should have a better idea of what the final look will be. I really hope I can be on to finish next week.
Here is a pic of one I did before, it's the opposite orientation of the one on this project.

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/23176390/386455314.jpg

Dick Bipes
04-18-2013, 11:20 AM
I have a lot of sanding and finishing yet to do, but construction is pretty much done.

260315 260316 260317

I had picked out some unfinished, industrial-looking exposed hinges for this project, but because of the compound curves in the top these could not simply be screwed on. I was planning to machine some bosses into the top and back, but I decided that would spoil the looks, so switched to hidden hinges. To get the top to lift clear of the curved back before opening, I used a type of hinge often seen on automobile trunk lids. I went through a few iterations of test mules before getting the geometry correct. I would liked to have carved the hinge arms for some extra detail, but I am running out of time. I have already set aside two other projects and I need to get back at them. As is, they do add a bit of that industrial look to them in my opinion. I did spend more time on them than anticipated. You might not be able to see that the wood arms have brass tubing inserts at the pivots to act as bushings.

260318 260319 260320 260321

Bill Wyko
04-18-2013, 12:09 PM
Now those are cool!!! Your box is fantastic! I may have to try a hinge like that on a future humidor some day. I have to say, you're really making this a fantastic challenge as are the others we see posted. The hinge really puts it over the top, congratulations on a job very well done.

Matt Mitman
04-18-2013, 1:02 PM
those hinges are really neat, probably my favorite part of that design :) I'm going to have to keep linkages like that in mind for future projects.

Back out to the shop this afternoon, so hopefully will have a more box-like box in the next day or two here.

Bill Wyko
04-18-2013, 4:59 PM
Can't wait to see some of the other entries. I worry about those of you keeping it a secret.:eek: Kathy, are you still in the mix?

richard poitras
04-18-2013, 8:45 PM
Thanks Bill for the update on the woods.

Dick those hinges are neat...

Matt Mitman
04-18-2013, 11:04 PM
Not quite as much progress today as I'd wanted, but at least the sides are cut and dadoed, so tomorrow can do the work on the latch setup.

Cant really see it in the above picture, but there's a very shallow (1/42" or so) groove 1.75" tall around the bottom half that I'm going to inlay some figured veneer and maple/walnut pinstriping in. Still debating which veneer exactly I'm going to use, but probably B from below. Just figured I needed to do something to dress up that plain walnut a bit :)

Kathy Marshall
04-19-2013, 1:38 AM
All of these look like they're going to be Great!

Can't wait to see some of the other entries. I worry about those of you keeping it a secret.:eek: Kathy, are you still in the mix?
Bill, you could say I'm still in the mix. With the 3 boxes in process that have been posted, it looks like so far I'm a shoe-in for 4th place ;).
I forgot to take any progress pics of mine and all that's left to do is finish up the finish and then I'll post it.

Maybe I can talk Baleigh into offering a boobie prize for last place :eek:.

Bill Wyko
04-19-2013, 12:21 PM
Man, you are all doing absolutely fantastic jobs!!! The Labyrinth is truly a work of art, well done Matt. I'm going to have to work every night til the end to even stand a chance. What an awesome contest.

Matt Mitman
04-19-2013, 1:53 PM
I'm going to have to work every night til the end to even stand a chance.

And here I was thinking the exact same thing :)

Dick Bipes
04-19-2013, 3:18 PM
Finger grip for the front of the top, just dipped in Envirotex Lite epoxy-like clear coating and set aside to cure.

Bill Wyko
04-19-2013, 3:43 PM
Looks good Dick, did you do that by hand?

Dick Bipes
04-19-2013, 3:57 PM
Thanks. I cut the bottom on the CNC, cut the sides on the bandsaw, and shaped the top on the disc sander. I have one more part yet to make, for what goes inside the box.

Baileigh Inc
04-19-2013, 4:08 PM
Sweet! Keep em' comin'

Bill Wyko
04-19-2013, 4:26 PM
I have to build my base, my wood hinge and finish the inside. Then on to the hard part, the finish.

Dick Bipes
04-19-2013, 9:22 PM
Yes, finish - I've been thinking about that for my project. Been kicking around a few ideas, but I think I'm settled on what I will be doing.

Lawrence Richards
04-20-2013, 10:55 AM
Unfortunately (or fortunately?) due to a few unscheduled short-timeline orders I'll be unable to participate. The examples here are both amazing looking so far and are indicative of the high level of skill here on the site.

Good luck to you all

Lawrence

Bill Wyko
04-20-2013, 1:38 PM
Last night I got started on the base of mine, dug out the guillotine to make my miters exact. This tool is fun but also intimidating, I have visions of a finger slipping into its path. It's good to have thoughts like that though, keeps you alert. Also here's a shot of the lid sittling on the box, the finish will darken it up and make it pop. I'll take the good camera home this weekend and get some better pics.

Dick Bipes
04-20-2013, 6:43 PM
Bill, I've never heard of a machine like your guillotine. Please tell me more.

Bill Wyko
04-20-2013, 6:57 PM
It's used for making picture frames, it's called a miter trimmer. There are a few on the market but I got it from Grizzly. It was 1/2 what others were asking. Here's a pic of the whole thing. A little scary looking, you expect to see someones head falling off the back of it.
http://cdn0.grizzly.com/pics/jpeg500/g/g1690.jpg

Matt Mitman
04-20-2013, 8:07 PM
got the inlay banding trimmed and sanded flush, and spent most of the day fiddling with the latch bits. *almost* have them ready to be fully assembled into place I think. They seem to be working ok as I hold things together by hand anyway, so just have to hope they continue to work once its assembled glued together when I cant really tweak things further. Still need to add the push button to the outside for this, so its not yet 100% on appearance, but getting close (and ignore the gaps, pieces are just sitting together).

Bill Wyko
04-21-2013, 1:02 PM
The contrasting woods really kick it up a notch, looking good.

Jon Lanier
04-22-2013, 8:20 PM
I'd love to learn how to make a hinge like that. You must do a How-To video!!!

Dick Bipes
04-23-2013, 7:42 PM
I'd love to learn how to make a hinge like that. You must do a How-To video!!!If you're referring to the hinge in my box, I would like very much to put together a video on design and construction, but I don't think that I have enough time. Including this box, I have three projects that need to be finished in three days, as I will be travelling after that. I don't think I can complete a video by then - maybe after the contest deadline.

Keith Outten
04-23-2013, 7:53 PM
Every box design so far has been incredibly creative and each has an innovative approach. Only one week left in the contest so good luck to everyone!

Dick Bipes
04-23-2013, 8:03 PM
Here's one more photo before I (hopefully!) post the completed project. This one shows the purpose of my box.

Jon Lanier
04-24-2013, 12:29 PM
Anytime would be good for a How To video. Thanks

Matt Mitman
04-24-2013, 2:31 PM
That's probably the nicest router bit storage I've ever seen, sure beats my "drop them in a drawer" method I currently use :)

Finished the latch mechanism, hinges, and some minor inlay bits last night, so about ready to start assembling mine, just need to do another coat of finish on the labyrinth board first (since I cant once the glass is in place). Still trying to figure out what to do with the interior though...

Matt Mitman
04-24-2013, 10:39 PM
Got everything in clamps now, so on to putting on the finish (probably Waterlox) tomorrow. Very nearly assembled the lid without finishing the interior. Had just put glue on pieces and started to assemble them when I realized it would be entirely enclosed and unfinishable in a few moments. Needless to say, I'd have been just a *touch* annoyed if I'd not caught that :)

Aaron Cerkas
04-24-2013, 10:45 PM
Every box design so far has been incredibly creative and each has an innovative approach. Only one week left in the contest so good luck to everyone!

I second this! Very talented and creative woodworkers you have here. Surprising to see the amount of time put into some of these pieces as well. The love of woodworking runs in the blood!

Bill Wyko
04-25-2013, 12:43 PM
Whew, worked into the late hours last night lining the inside of my box. I have to stay at my dads house Sunday & Monday nights so I really have to pour it on. Looking good everyone!!!

Baileigh Inc
04-25-2013, 12:56 PM
Got everything in clamps now, so on to putting on the finish (probably Waterlox) tomorrow. Very nearly assembled the lid without finishing the interior. Had just put glue on pieces and started to assemble them when I realized it would be entirely enclosed and unfinishable in a few moments. Needless to say, I'd have been just a *touch* annoyed if I'd not caught that :)

Holy cow! Good job

Dick Bipes
04-25-2013, 1:22 PM
Surprising to see the amount of time put into some of these pieces as well.
You sound like my spouse!

Matt Mitman
04-25-2013, 2:03 PM
hinges attached, latch mechanism tested to be 100% functional :) Little more sanding to do until I can start putting finish on, but wanted to see how things were going to look so sprayed with mineral spirits and snapped a few more shots. These'll be the last before the final non-phonecam ones when its finished.

Dick Bipes
04-25-2013, 2:27 PM
Matt, that looks awesome! I just applied the top coat finish on mine. I like to use a spray can for the top coat on small projects like this one. I'm working on a video to show some of the design and build process.

Matt Mitman
04-25-2013, 2:44 PM
yep, I grabbed a rattle can of spray lacquer yesterday for the labyrinth part, didn't want to have to clean my spray guns for that small a project.

That stain really makes yours pop, the uniform color was the one thing I wasn't a big fan of, that helped a lot with it :)

Bill Wyko
04-25-2013, 4:38 PM
A shot of the inside of my box. Still need to do the finish and some more sanding. Busy, busy. Going to have to remake the wood hinges, the ebony ones just split. Macassar Ebony or hard maple should do the trick. In addition, here's a shot of the self made inlay. Right now there's just a shellac sealer on it, once I make the new hinges I'll finish the finish. Please enjoy.

Bill Wyko
04-26-2013, 1:15 AM
Just came in from making the wood hinges. I always make extra in case I break one or 3.:D Here are the 2 keepers, some of the best I've ever done. Tomorrow I'll mortise them in, then it's on to finish.

Dick Bipes
04-26-2013, 1:11 PM
Baileigh says "We like pictures, videos, and cool stuff like that; teach us all what you did and how to build your project", so I put together this video on design and construction of my box:

http://youtu.be/xmx3Tpoj7pk (http://youtu.be/xmx3Tpoj7pk)

Matt Mitman
04-26-2013, 2:38 PM
Bill, love that roundover on the inside, coupled with the lighter wood gives it a remarkably soft/plush look.

Dick, excellent job on the video. And those hinges are just really impressive in action :)

Looks like my finishing schedule should have mine done about the 29th, leaves me just enough time to properly photograph and video things.

So... does anyone else have any hidden entries lurking? I'm kinda surprised its just been the 3 of us so far.

'Jacques Malan'
04-26-2013, 4:26 PM
So... does anyone else have any hidden entries lurking? I'm kinda surprised its just been the 3 of us so far.

Mine is still ongoing, but it is going to be a loooong weekend.

And it is difficult because mine isn't nearly as good.

Bill Wyko
04-26-2013, 5:03 PM
Dick, nice job!!! Great video too. You have that system down to a "T". Matt, that thing is just down right awesome, I wanna try the labyrinth !! I'm working on finish here at work today. No stains or dyes, just the natural beauty of the wood & WOP. I wish I would have had time to do one of my glass like finishes you see on my humidors. I'm also worried that Randal Rosenthal is out there with a surprise attack.

Baileigh Inc
04-26-2013, 7:19 PM
Baileigh says "We like pictures, videos, and cool stuff like that; teach us all what you did and how to build your project", so I put together this video on design and construction of my box:

http://youtu.be/xmx3Tpoj7pk (http://youtu.be/xmx3Tpoj7pk)Welcom to the finals

Dick Bipes
04-26-2013, 9:22 PM
Thanks Shane!

Cary Falk
04-26-2013, 10:53 PM
I'm glad I didn't waste my time trying to enter.:D

Bill Wyko
04-27-2013, 1:12 AM
When ever I mortise hinges into a box I've worked so hard on, I'm always nervous that there will be a slip & I'll ruin all my work. Fortunately this was not one of those times, the hinges were a success. Now I just have to finish the finish & attach the bottom & it'll be done. I get to stay at my dads this weekend but I'll be in my shop during the day so I may try to squeeze in the tray I want for the inside. Almost done.:D

Craig Matheny
04-27-2013, 1:55 PM
Ok I am cutting mine out today I hope you get a blast out of it (hint) it will be cut out of 3mm baltic birch and nothing but wood and glue will be used on it.

Bill Wyko
04-27-2013, 4:29 PM
If I remember correctly, isn't there a way to save a reply into a draft so it can be built then posted all at once? I just finished the finish, once it's dry I can attach the box to the base. I think I'll try to do the tray this weekend if I can get any shop time in.

Hayes Rutherford
04-27-2013, 10:55 PM
Here is my entry. No CNC or laser, just a lathe, skew, scraper, Bosch jigsaw blade(to chatter)wood burner, shellac (applied as french polish)About 3-1/2" ht. x 3-1/4" wide. I drew the Baileigh logo in pencil first, then burned so please forgive for the inaccuracy. The lift out bit holder and inside are finished with melted in bees wax, all sanded to 400.

The bit holder is just tilted in the opening for the photo but easily lifts out.
Total time about 4 hours including bit holder, burning, French polish, and step by step photo's(not shown).

Hey at least maybe I've lowered the bar so as to encourage more entries!

Craig Matheny
04-27-2013, 11:57 PM
Nice job you have set the bar for the rest of us now....

Keith Outten
04-28-2013, 12:16 AM
Hayes,

I like your design but I have to ask how the band saw blade is used to create the chatter marks on the top of the box, it's a great detail.

Hayes Rutherford
04-28-2013, 1:02 AM
Hi Keith, actually a jigsaw blade. I ground the end on a bit of a radius and hold it in some small vise grips. The vise grips rest on the tool rest and the blade is brought against the wood at a slightly downward angle. With the wood spinning at 800 to 1000 rpm, the blade will screetch and chatter causing a pattern.

Bill Wyko
04-28-2013, 1:23 AM
IMHO you've done an excellent job, glad to see a turning in the mix. I had considered doing a turning but I couldn't think of a way to incorporate the logo. Well done.

Matt Mitman
04-28-2013, 8:13 PM
Good to see a few more entries popping up. Hayes, that logo is better than I could have done freehand on a curved surface, no forgiveness needed there :)

Keith Outten
04-29-2013, 8:10 AM
Hi Keith, actually a jigsaw blade. I ground the end on a bit of a radius and hold it in some small vise grips. The vise grips rest on the tool rest and the blade is brought against the wood at a slightly downward angle. With the wood spinning at 800 to 1000 rpm, the blade will screetch and chatter causing a pattern.

Hayes,

Sorry about the slip up, I knew you said jig saw blade but my fingers disconnected from my brain when I responded.
Did you hold the vise grip in your hands or clamp it to the tool rest?
The pattern looks perfect all the way around.

Dick Bipes
04-29-2013, 8:23 AM
That's a nice looking box. Also curious exactly how the jigsaw blade works - that's a great technique.

Hayes Rutherford
04-29-2013, 10:19 AM
The vise grips need to rest on the tool rest just like any tool. The rest needs to be high enough so the blade is angling downward. There are commercial chatter tools available that are more convenient but not having one shouldn't keep anyone from trying it.

I will post a photo tonight .

Matt Mitman
04-29-2013, 2:23 PM
Had hoped to be able to photograph/film mine today, but the finish wasn't *quite* to the point I want it, so put one last coat on. Wheres the fun if you aren't running things down to the last minute anyway? :)

Craig Matheny
04-29-2013, 4:53 PM
Ok Here we go outside the box a little bit but nonetheless it was fun to build and hope you all get a kick out of it. I tried to upload 2 animated gifs showing the progress but I guess I can only upload JPEGS. If anyone wants to see them I guess Pm me and I will send them or better would be tell me what I am doing wrong on trying to post them. I guess it needed a name I guess Tommy Gun

Chris Tsutsui
04-29-2013, 5:33 PM
Crimony... a thompson submachine gun.

Chris Tsutsui
04-29-2013, 5:43 PM
I predict that hand craftsmanship and time spent will be a factor.

Wyko's humidor will be a contender, and I wouldn't be suprised if a CNC/laser box doesn't get runner up. I didn't compete because i knew I didn't have the time to compete with the big guns. The thought of competing against CNC technology with a scroll saw and a dovetail jig is a bit intimidating. :)

Craig Matheny
04-29-2013, 5:45 PM
Hey I said it was outside the box :D

Dick Bipes
04-29-2013, 7:24 PM
Very cool! Neat how the parts fit together. It looks like the barrel was made with a large number of discs stacked up - is that right?

Craig Matheny
04-29-2013, 7:39 PM
Very cool! Neat how the parts fit together. It looks like the barrel was made with a large number of discs stacked up - is that right?

The parts are all glued together there is over 230 pieces in the Tommy Gun and yes the barrel is a ton of small pieces.

Hayes Rutherford
04-29-2013, 8:41 PM
Craig, that is a serious piece of work. Very impressive and unique.

Hayes Rutherford
04-29-2013, 8:54 PM
Hayes,

Sorry about the slip up, I knew you said jig saw blade but my fingers disconnected from my brain when I responded.
Did you hold the vise grip in your hands or clamp it to the tool rest?
The pattern looks perfect all the way around.
Keith, here is how I hold the blade for a chatter pattern. There are really no rules so anything goes. It really only works on end grain. Different amounts of overhang, RPM, the grind on the blade, how you go about moving it to cover an area all affect the outcome
At about 800 RPM in about 3 seconds the pattern looked like this:

Bill Wyko
04-30-2013, 12:29 AM
That's a cool little trick, I'll be putting that to use in the future. Thanks for the tip.

I knew someone would sneak up on us. Craig you sly dog, an excellent entry & very creative.

I'll be submitting mine tomorrow, nothing like taking it down to the last minute.

'Jacques Malan'
04-30-2013, 6:36 AM
This is my entry for the Baileigh "build us a box" competition.

"The Toolbox"

The only wood I had available was Eucalyptus, and I knew that making intricate little things with a fancy finish were not going to be easy using that, so I went with a more rustic design.

The first part that were made were the coopered top and the rest were made to fit around that. The curve of the top were made after the box were assembled, using a block plane.

The tenons of the dovetails at the ends were cut by hand, the rest were carefully milled out with a router. The logo and the handle blocks is made from mahogany and were engraved on the cnc machine. The handles were turned from rosewood.

The box were stained by hand and then sprayed with a lacquer sealer. The metal parts were painted, the t-hinges is the only pieces bought for the project. It was then screwed to the box, and final touching up of the black paint were done by hand.

The inside were painted by hand, I think a lighter green would have been better. Then the box were sprayed again with satin lacquer, and finally the handles and the logo were screwed to the box from the inside.

I tried a few new things, and made a few mistakes but in the end I am happy with the result.

Total time were about 20 hours, thinking and worrying not included.

Comments and critique will be appreciated.

Keith Outten
04-30-2013, 7:09 AM
Craig, the gun is very cool. The way you disguised the box was truly thinking outside the box :)

Hayes, thanks for the pictures and for sharing your chatter technique. I'll give it a try.

Jacques, the finish is what makes your project pop. It looks just like a very old wooden travelers chest.

Craig Matheny
04-30-2013, 1:14 PM
This is my entry for the Baileigh "build us a box" competition.

"The Toolbox"

The only wood I had available was Eucalyptus, and I knew that making intricate little things with a fancy finish were not going to be easy using that, so I went with a more rustic design.

The first part that were made were the coopered top and the rest were made to fit around that. The curve of the top were made after the box were assembled, using a block plane.

The tenons of the dovetails at the ends were cut by hand, the rest were carefully milled out with a router. The logo and the handle blocks is made from mahogany and were engraved on the cnc machine. The handles were turned from rosewood.

The box were stained by hand and then sprayed with a lacquer sealer. The metal parts were painted, the t-hinges is the only pieces bought for the project. It was then screwed to the box, and final touching up of the black paint were done by hand.

The inside were painted by hand, I think a lighter green would have been better. Then the box were sprayed again with satin lacquer, and finally the handles and the logo were screwed to the box from the inside.

I tried a few new things, and made a few mistakes but in the end I am happy with the result.

Total time were about 20 hours, thinking and worrying not included.

Comments and critique will be appreciated.

Great job love the rope handles and nice job with the metal strapping making it look like a belt and the finish is very nice

Craig Matheny
04-30-2013, 1:16 PM
Keith is there anyway when the contest is closed to get all the entries in one area so everyone can see them? In the forum they are all over and in different legs of it so it is difficult to find them all. So far what I have seen is some great work and it seems that most techniques have been used at some point and time.

David Epperson
04-30-2013, 1:19 PM
I'd like to see a separate subforum made for this effort with each entry highlighted in it's own thread. With as much "How it was done" as possible. Very interesting project.

Keith Outten
04-30-2013, 1:25 PM
Craig,

I think that we can do something to isolate the posts that are contest entries.

Craig Matheny
04-30-2013, 1:25 PM
Just ran across your page with the hinges very cool nice job

Bill Wyko
04-30-2013, 4:46 PM
Here goes:
This box is titled "John Henry"
My friend Paul Miller who I'd like to thank for all his help & advice through out this build suggested this title. John Henry was in a competition in the 1870's to drill blasting holes for the railroad against a steam hammer. In the end, he won, but he fell down dead. Being that I'm up against so many modern machines and I do feel like I could fall down dead, I thought it was perfect. In this build every step was a hands on process, no automation was used. First I'd like you to see the final piece, then I'll take you through the process of the build. Please enjoy our journey.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1347/13587163/24346155/406475065.jpg
The woods used are Tropical Walnut, Curly Koa, Hard Maple, Flame Maple, Curly Maple, Gabon Ebony, Holley, Purple Hart and Osage Orange. If you count each piece in the inlaid corners, there are over 1000 pieces of wood in this project. Fortunately the corners are cut 7 pieces at a time.

The logo is done on an 18th century Chevalet, no automation was used for any part of this build.
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1347/13587163/24346155/406475413.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1347/13587163/24346155/406475412.jpg
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1347/13587163/24346155/406475414.jpg
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1347/13587163/24346155/406475415.jpg
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1347/13587163/24346155/406475410.jpg

The tray is done in a criss cross pattern to allow long grain to run both directions. This may look delicate but it's quite strong and stable.

Now on to the build,

This device is a Chevalet, it was created in the late 1700's and is considered one of the first mass production tools known in woodworking.
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1347/13587163/24346155/406475251.jpg

The way it is used is, it has a foot activated clamping mechanisim that will allow the user to hold & release a stack of veneer perpendicular to a jewelers saw blade. The blade is held by a "D" shaped handle which can orbit but always stays perpendicular to the material. Quite ingenious.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1347/13587163/24346155/406476115.jpg

After the different species of wood are re-arranged, the logo is adhered to a backer up-side down. That way it can be glued to the substrate. In this case, 2 were made, one for the inside and one for the outside.
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1347/13587163/24346155/406475320.jpg

The inlaid corner is done buy stacking 7 layers of wood in various thicknesses and gluing them together in the vacuum bag. Then strips are cut and mitered into 30 degree triangles and re-arranged into the desired pattern.
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1347/13587163/24346155/406475054.jpg
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1347/13587163/24346155/406474352.jpg
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1347/13587163/24346155/406474328.jpg
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1347/13587163/24346155/406475321.jpg[/MG]

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1347/13587163/24346155/406474327.jpg

Bill Wyko
04-30-2013, 4:58 PM
The sides rails & stiles were done using a Domino then the figured Koa panel was rabbited in along with the inlay.
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1347/13587163/24346155/406474341.jpg
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1347/13587163/24346155/406474340.jpg

The miter cuts for the lid and the base are done on this razor-sharp picture frame knife miter.
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1347/13587163/24346155/406474326.jpg
Then the sides were rounded over and a sanding sealer applied to find any flaws that need to be addressed.
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1347/13587163/24346155/406474339.jpg
With the lid & box built, it's on to the interior of the box. I wanted something to really make it unique. I decided on the Curly Maple to give it a waterfall effect going down into the box.
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1347/13587163/24346155/406474338.jpg
Now on to the hinges. They are done by rounding over a 3/8" 5x5 piece of hard maple on opposing ends. then it is stood up and rounded over one more time to make a 3/4 radius round over. Then I use a fence on the tablesaw to guide the pieces over a3/8" dado blade every 3/4". I always make them over sized and make extras just in case I break one or drill it wrong. Then I can have extras for other projects if all goes well.
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1347/13587163/24346155/406474330.jpg
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1347/13587163/24346155/406474346.jpg
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1347/13587163/24346155/406474333.jpg
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1347/13587163/24346155/406477633.jpg
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1347/13587163/24346155/406475058.jpg
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1347/13587163/24346155/406475055.jpg

On to the finish, the finish is started with a 2lb cut of shellac and pumice powder. This is hand rubbed in to blend the saw dust into any minute voids. After that a coat of shellac was applied to seal the box. Next, 4 coats of WOP were applied and a last one was sprayed on. All coats were sanded between after each one to maintain a smooth surface between coats.

My total time invested in this project is somewhere around 80 to 100 hours. (I really need an edge sander to finish a 3 year project that I need to put behind me:eek::eek:) So please enjoy, best of luck to all of us and a big thank you to everyone at Baileigh for putting on this awesome event.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1347/13587163/24346155/406474347.jpg
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1347/13587163/24346155/406474349.jpg

Chris Padilla
04-30-2013, 5:08 PM
Bill, is that a Forrest WWII you emulated there?? :D

Craig Matheny
04-30-2013, 5:10 PM
Wow that is about all I can say is wow you have done a beautiful job. Put it this way I could not vote for my box when it is up against your work it is amazing nice job.

Bill Wyko
04-30-2013, 5:11 PM
Can't say, you know, copy right infringement. LOL:D

Craig Matheny
04-30-2013, 5:38 PM
Can't say, you know, copy right infringement. LOL:D
What do you mean?

Mike Chance in Iowa
04-30-2013, 5:42 PM
I'm truly enjoying looking at all the great photos, creativity and talent displayed in this project.

Bill, the interior of your box looks like crushed velvet!

Bill Wyko
04-30-2013, 5:44 PM
Just joking around, I don't remember what blade was used to create the pattern for the saw blade.

Matt Mitman
04-30-2013, 6:02 PM
There's several impressive entries here, but um...dang Bill. That's probably one of the most impressive projects I've seen posted in quite awhile, contest or otherwise.

The Labyrinth
(insert artsy description of "how it represents navigating through the labyrinth of tool companies to find the best" here ;) )

I've had the idea of having one of those old marble labyrinth maze games as the lid for a box for a few months now. When Baileigh posted their contest, I decided that was as good an excuse as any to give it another go. I'd recently tried using the weight of the ball as the sole trigger for the latch, but there just isnt nearly enough mass in a 1/2" BB for any latch I could build. I ended up redesigning it to use a push button, but the marble acts as a "bridge" for the two halves - unless the marble is in position, the button can't connect to move the latch. Worm your way through the maze (which incidentally is really hard to do while trying to hold the box in the camera's view) and the marble fills that gap, letting the box be opened.

The box itself is a bit of a mishmash of woods. Primarily black walnut, the bottom of the labyrinth is some maple I resawed 1/4" thick, then glued the walnut walls and logo to it with superglue; because it set much faster than titebond, made it far less likely I'd knock pieces over before they set. The hinges and inlay around the button are also walnut and maple and superglued into place as well. The hinges actually surprised me with their ability to hold the lid upright with no further support, I had expected to run a small piece of ribbon between lid and bottom to keep it from going too far. The banding around the box is outlined in a few layers of walnut and maple veneer I glued up for the stringing, but I'm not sure what the main band is - it was just a really pretty piece of veneer from a big mixed pile I'd bought off eBay. Then the inside is a piece of very curly 1/8" Okume plywood. I bought a couple sheets of that plywood at a discount store a few months back, just because each 4x8 sheet had 2-4 curly spots about 12-18" in diameter perfect for box use like this. And finally, the black button is a small scrap of buffalo horn leftover from the tips of the last recurve bow I built.

The central logo in the maze and the walnut portion of the hinges I cutout on a CNC Router I recently finished building. I also took a very shallow cut on the maple floor of the labyrinth with a small bit just to layout the maze - that way I just had to lineup and glue the wall pieces to match up with the lines, and knew the 1/2" ball bearing would have the proper clearance to move around.

The latch is just a piece of 1/8x3/4" flat steel from the hardware store, cut with a hacksaw and with a curve sanded on top so the lid can push it to the side when closing. The lid's half of the latch has a similar piece of metal bent 90 deg to position it over top the hook part of the latch that's mortised into the top edge of the front of the box. And of course, there are a couple springs on the 3 moving pieces (bottom latch, top latch, button) so they return to their starting position on their own.

I had wanted to do some sort of equally mechanical interior to the box, but didn't come up with anything I really liked and was short on time, so in the end just did a simple suede bottom (Note to self: using the same fabric as a photo backdrop may not have been the best idea, makes the box look like it has no bottom when opened). Guess that'll be for the next one... :)

The finish on the maze/logo is a half dozen or so quick coats of rattle can lacquer, simply because I didn't want to have to clean my spray guns for a fairly small project. The rest of the box has 4 coats of Waterlox wiped on and buffed with 2000 grit wet/dry paper between each coat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBvPJkOtCIY

Craig Matheny
04-30-2013, 6:17 PM
Very nice multi-purpose box and game nice

Bill Wyko
04-30-2013, 6:23 PM
Thanks very much Matt. Yours is an excellent entry, multi-purpose too. A game, a security feature to keep unwanted hands out and a beautiful box. Very well done my friend and an excellent concept.

BTW everyone, we broke 10,000 views, way to go my friends Now lets make it 20,000.

Bill Wyko
04-30-2013, 10:09 PM
Wow that is about all I can say is wow you have done a beautiful job. Put it this way I could not vote for my box when it is up against your work it is amazing nice job.

Craig, Your box is absolutely incredible, that's thinking way out of the box and right in the clip (more than 7 rounds? LOL). I love it. Just don't let anyone see you walking down the street with it, they may call the cops. Very, very well done my friend.

Kathy Marshall
05-01-2013, 12:30 AM
Here is my entry, such as it is (I'm still holding out for the boobie prize :eek:). I was mostly done with it before I remembered I should have taken pics along the way, so these are all there are.
The other entries are so awesome that I almost didn't post mine, but I did say I was going to enter, so here it is.

Turned from Mesquite with a snap fit lid. No CNC or Lasers here, so I just drew the logo on, then outlined it with my burning pen. I pierced the letters, ebonized the background and then shaded the border with my burner. The B on the lid was also burned in.
It's 3 1/2" x 4" and the finish is antique oil.

Good luck to all the entrants!

Bill Wyko
05-01-2013, 12:39 AM
Nice job Kathy and a cool twist on the logo. Thanks very much for posting it.

Hayes Rutherford
05-01-2013, 1:43 AM
Looked over the whole thread today and so far Bill, Matt, Dick, Craig, Jaques, and Kathy, nice work. Won't be near internet tomorrow so expect to see some last minute entries tomorrow night. Realized i was supposed to give my piece (post 148) a name so called it "BBBB" for Birch Baileigh Bit Box.

Keith Outten
05-01-2013, 11:00 AM
This contest ends at 12 noon Pacific Time (3pm EST) today.

I have created another thread and copied all of the contestants posts that contain pictures and videos. The Contestant Entry thread will be made available shortly after the contest ends so I can make sure I have included all of the contestants posts.

Congratulations to each of our Contestants the workmanship is outstanding on every entry. May the best box win :)

Craig Matheny
05-01-2013, 1:11 PM
Kathy nice job like the wood burning

Craig Matheny
05-01-2013, 2:51 PM
Waiting for the last minute entries.........

Bill Wyko
05-01-2013, 2:52 PM
Me too! suspense is a killer.

Bill Wyko
05-01-2013, 3:03 PM
WHHHEEEWW!!!! It was strange to be in the house last night. LOL

Craig Matheny
05-01-2013, 3:05 PM
Yeah nothing to do now my wife gave me a "honey do list" being I have all this free time to enter a contest I think I lost even if I won :(

Bill Wyko
05-01-2013, 3:19 PM
Actually I have to build 2 more boxes similar to this one. My truck needs a throttle positioning sensor & ball joints, $1600.00 in repairs. Fortunately I'm trading with my mechanic, 2 jewelry boxes for the repairs. Dodge diesels are EXPENSIVE vehicles to fix. Mine has over 600hp and would randomly go full throttle on me. I'd have to put both feet on the brakes and pull the steering wheel to slow it down.:eek:

Keith Outten
05-01-2013, 3:20 PM
Here We Go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please go to this thread and vote for your favorite Bailey Box. (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?202772-Vote-For-Your-Favorite-Baileigh-Box-Contest-Entry)

You can only vote once.
Voting ends in one week according to the contest rules.
According to our TOS you may not solicit votes anywhere at SawMill Creek so please lets not see any vote for (insert name) threads or posts.

Craig Matheny
05-01-2013, 3:25 PM
Yeah you need to get that fixed like yesterday good luck with that and the boxes

Bill Wyko
05-01-2013, 3:51 PM
Is it set up so only contributing members can vote? That would help prevent people from signing up just to vote then never coming back.

Keith Outten
05-01-2013, 4:23 PM
Bill,

All Registered Members can vote.

Bill Wyko
05-01-2013, 4:43 PM
So much for a good nights sleep this week. Good luck to everyone. I think this will be neck & neck to the very end.

Ryan Mooney
05-01-2013, 10:02 PM
Wow you guys sure pulled out all the stops here! Really fun to watch and amazing work really by everyone (I knew I was vastly outclassed as soon as some of Bills first pics hit and then the other entries started landing and validated my first impression :eek: :cool:)

Bill, one question - how did you do the inside curves on the box or is that a trade secret :p

Bill Wyko
05-01-2013, 11:58 PM
Actually it's a router bit I found in my collection. I acquired over 100 router bits from a friend closing his cabinet shop. I didn't want to use a normal 1/4 round, it needed to flow in a more gradual transition into the box to give it a waterfall effect. I've had this idea in my head for a while so I was glad to have the opportunity to put it to use. Thanks for noticing.

Bill Wyko
05-02-2013, 3:56 PM
I had ordered a catalog from Baileigh and to my surprise a great hat and wonderful catalogs showed up for both wood & metal working. I'll turn my friend that builds offroad race cars on to the metal tools too. Thanks very much.

A little bonus I've incurred because of this box, I've got orders for 3 more boxes, 2 for my mechanic and one for my fed ex driver. This will be my Fed-ex drivers second box.:D Who knows, maybe I'll even build one for myself someday.

Baileigh Inc
05-08-2013, 10:40 AM
I had ordered a catalog from Baileigh and to my surprise a great hat and wonderful catalogs showed up for both wood & metal working. I'll turn my friend that builds offroad race cars on to the metal tools too. Thanks very much.

A little bonus I've incurred because of this box, I've got orders for 3 more boxes, 2 for my mechanic and one for my fed ex driver. This will be my Fed-ex drivers second box.:D Who knows, maybe I'll even build one for myself someday. Sweet! Lookin good man

Bill Wyko
05-08-2013, 11:14 AM
Shane, I'm going to have to hit you up for another woodworking catalog. The manager at Wood Workers Source here in Tucson wanted the one I had to show the owner of the chain. I do a lot of business with WWS, they have 4 stores.

Baileigh Inc
05-08-2013, 4:48 PM
Congrats Bill Wyko!

Bill Wyko
05-08-2013, 7:59 PM
I must say thanks one more time, can't wait to put the tools to work. Here's a link to the edge sanders, you all gotta check this out.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?201358-Baileigh-Industrial-Line-of-Edge-Sanders

Keith Outten
05-09-2013, 9:17 AM
Bill,

Sounds like there is a new edge sander in your near future. IMO an edge sander is a must have machine, I can't imagine being without mine because it is used on every job I do in my shop.

Congratulations to Bill and to everyone who entered the Baileigh Box Contest. Every entry was an amazing display of talent, innovation and hard work. :p

Bill Wyko
05-09-2013, 12:07 PM
Thanks Keith, I keep coming up with new ways I'll be putting it to use. Something tells me it'll see as much use as the table saw.