PDA

View Full Version : computer losing network connectivity

Chuck Wintle
03-27-2013, 12:48 PM
My computer will lose network connectivity frequently. The icon at the lower right will get an exclamation mark meaning the connectivity is lost. If I do nothing it will restore all by itself after a few minutes. But it is an annoying problem. A search on the internet shows many with this problem yet with no definite resolution offered. I am using windows 7, connection to a router and then the modem.

Warren Johnson
03-27-2013, 1:47 PM
I was having this problem on and off about 4 weeks ago. Seems that Verizon was having problems and the router would lose signal. I would check with your service provider.

Eric DeSilva
03-27-2013, 2:07 PM
You might have to provide some more details for any meaningful help--I think the reason that there area lot of problems w/o diagnoses on the internet is that the problem you have described seems vague. The first step in troubleshooting is to narrow the problem down. Are you using WiFi? If so, try plugging into the hardwired connection and see if the problems persist--if they don't, it might be a Wi-Fi issue. If you are plugged into a router, try plugging into the modem directly and see if the problem persists. If so, it might be a router problem. Do you have access to another computer? You might see if plugging a known good computer into your network the same way leads to similar results--it might be an issue with the network interface in your computer. Finally, and perhaps most likely, is what Warren suggested--it may be a network problem external to your house. You might put in a call to get a tech support appointment (although I'm guessing they will ask you to do all the things I enumerated above before they make a trip).

Chuck Wintle
03-27-2013, 3:57 PM
You might have to provide some more details for any meaningful help--I think the reason that there area lot of problems w/o diagnoses on the internet is that the problem you have described seems vague. The first step in troubleshooting is to narrow the problem down. Are you using WiFi? If so, try plugging into the hardwired connection and see if the problems persist--if they don't, it might be a Wi-Fi issue. If you are plugged into a router, try plugging into the modem directly and see if the problem persists. If so, it might be a router problem. Do you have access to another computer? You might see if plugging a known good computer into your network the same way leads to similar results--it might be an issue with the network interface in your computer. Finally, and perhaps most likely, is what Warren suggested--it may be a network problem external to your house. You might put in a call to get a tech support appointment (although I'm guessing they will ask you to do all the things I enumerated above before they make a trip).

my setup is a lan cable to the router and then a cable to the modem. it could be a problem with the signal going on and off from the isp. I have looked high and low for a definitive answer and no one really knows how to fix the problem.

paul cottingham
03-27-2013, 4:01 PM
Which OS are you running? I have the same problem with windows 7 losing its connection all the time. I believe it is a driver issue that screws up the network stack.

Chuck Wintle
03-27-2013, 4:13 PM
Which OS are you running? I have the same problem with windows 7 losing its connection all the time. I believe it is a driver issue that screws up the network stack.

i am using windows 7 pro with avast pro antivirus. I uninstalled avast and it made no difference...i was still losing connectivity. I don't think the router is the issue as I have run many speed tests and the results are good. It is likely a driver issue but which one?

Jonathan Clement
03-27-2013, 5:09 PM
Have you called your provider to see if they can check your connection from their end?

Eric DeSilva
03-27-2013, 5:42 PM
I would still try plugging it directly into the modem. I would also try a friend's laptop to see if the same issues arise. Only by controlled swapping out of equipment are you going to get to an answer.

Chuck Wintle
03-27-2013, 6:03 PM
Have you called your provider to see if they can check your connection from their end?
no i did not call them yet..

Glenn Vaughn
The first thing to determine is where the disconnect is. When cpnnection is lost check the modem lights and see if they are the same as when you have a working connection.

If the modem lights are correct then check the router lights.

If you can't see where the problem is then contact your ISP and see if they can monitor your connection for problems.

Questions that need to be answered:
Do you have more than 1 computer connected? If so do all computers lose connecion at the same time?
If they do then it is either the router or moden dropping connection.

If you have manahement interfaces to the router and modem, open each and navigate to the connection status screen in each. When the connection drops check ech of the status screens (refresh them to make sure the information is current).

If the modem stays connected but the router doesnot, contact the router manufacturer customer service.
If the computer cannot talk to the router then that is the most likely suspect.

It could be an ethernet cable problem or even the ethernet interface in the computer.
If the modem loses connection contact the ISP customer service.

Chuck Wintle
I would still try plugging it directly into the modem. I would also try a friend's laptop to see if the same issues arise. Only by controlled swapping out of equipment are you going to get to an answer.

that a good idea to go directly into the modem..i will try that.

Larry Browning
03-27-2013, 6:10 PM
Do you have more than one computer connected to your network? if you do, does the other computer have the same problem?
BTW: I too have Windows 7 and Avast. The only time I have trouble with loosing connectivity is when there is a problem with Cox.
I would start with making sure it is not your internet provider, then I would check the router, then your network card.

paul cottingham
03-27-2013, 6:50 PM
What happens if you run the network troubleshooter? If it restores your connection, there is your problem. If it is a layer 1 problem ie. network infrastructure, the troubleshooter will not make a difference. What does the network icon show? A disconnect?
BTW have you tried foul language? It often helps.

Dave Lehnert
03-27-2013, 7:21 PM
When I have the same type of issue I call my ISP and have them refresh the line. (whatever that is) Things get better after that.

Darius Ferlas
03-27-2013, 7:28 PM
If this started just today or late yesterday I would give it a few hours or another day or two. There is a little cyber-war going on out there as I write this.
You can read more here (http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/hackers-just-dropped-nuclear-bomb-internet).

John M Wilson
03-27-2013, 8:45 PM
I wouldn't worry about the cyber-war: looks like it might be more hype than anything else:

http://gizmodo.com/5992652/that-internet-war-apocalypse-is-a-lie

Chuck Wintle
03-28-2013, 6:29 AM
What happens if you run the network troubleshooter? If it restores your connection, there is your problem. If it is a layer 1 problem ie. network infrastructure, the troubleshooter will not make a difference. What does the network icon show? A disconnect?
BTW have you tried foul language? It often helps.

its an exclamation mark on the icon. last night for example it was working fine with no loest connections. the router lights show only green as well as the modem. I have read online many many stories of lost connectivity using windows 7, so is the problem software or hardware. it was suggested to connect directly to the router, this i have not tried yet. Foul language no longer works.

Larry Browning
03-28-2013, 7:31 AM
Is this a problem that just started happening without any changes to your system? I would start with your ISP. Give them a call. They should be able to monitor your connection and tell you if it is on their end or not. You need to start there.

Curt Harms
03-28-2013, 7:49 AM
Are you really disconnected, or does Windows say that you're disconnected? The reason I say this is that I get a yellow exclamation point over my network icon. If I check further it looks like a DNS resolution problem. The connection is fine, everything works, Windows is being Windows. Chuck, I believe you speak penguin;). How about trying a linux LiveCD/DVD or LiveUSB? Wireless can be a pain if you have an unsupported adapter, a wired connection should work no issues. That could eliminate all ISP and hardware problems in one fell swoop, or maybe give you better troubleshooting tools if you indeed don't have a connection.

paul cottingham
03-28-2013, 10:08 AM
OK.
If the icon is an exclamation point is is almost certainly a windows problem. What happens when you right click on the network icon and run "troubleshoot problems?" My guess is that it fixes it, albeit after some waiting. The laptop I am using right now does this a lot. My strong suspicion is that windows updated your network card driver, and it is now unhappy with the new one.
There are a bunch of shell commands we can try after we determine if the network troubleshooter helps.

Chuck Wintle
03-28-2013, 4:09 PM
Are you really disconnected, or does Windows say that you're disconnected? The reason I say this is that I get a yellow exclamation point over my network icon. If I check further it looks like a DNS resolution problem. The connection is fine, everything works, Windows is being Windows. Chuck, I believe you speak penguin;). How about trying a linux LiveCD/DVD or LiveUSB? Wireless can be a pain if you have an unsupported adapter, a wired connection should work no issues. That could eliminate all ISP and hardware problems in one fell swoop, or maybe give you better troubleshooting tools if you indeed don't have a connection.
yes i speak penguin and I have used ubuntu and linux mint, both good OS's but on my main computer its windows 7. as you suggest it could be a problem with the DNS.

paul cottingham
03-28-2013, 4:19 PM
The most common problem that I see is loss of dns when I see this icon. I have tried hard coding it to no avail. So I suspect it is the driver, requiring a reset of the network stack before it will resolve dns. I use Ubuntu on the same machine with no problems at all.

Curt Harms
03-29-2013, 7:59 AM
yes i speak penguin and I have used ubuntu and linux mint, both good OS's but on my main computer its windows 7. as you suggest it could be a problem with the DNS.

Sorry if I'm being obvious but you could run a live session on your Win7 machine without touching Windows (just don't click "install";)). You'd be using exactly the same hardware and connections as Windows 7 is using. If Windows is messing up and Linux isn't, it's probably not a hardware or ISP problem. If Linux messes up too, then dig deeper.

Bill Cunningham
04-02-2013, 8:49 PM
If it's happening to all computers on your network, it could be a flakey router.. I bought a netgear600 set it all up, and it kept dropping out on everything connected to it wirelessly.. Took it back to staples, said it's defective, gimme another one, they did, and all is running fine..The router was the problem... You can try and re-boot it, and see how long it stays up before dropping again