PDA

View Full Version : First timer building a workbench

Daniel Stevens
03-27-2013, 12:08 PM
Not only is it my first time building a workbench, it is my first time doing any type of woodworking period... But I wanted to make a workbench for electronics work so I need your help! The reason I want to build rather than buy is because it would be cheaper, the dimensions would be what I want, and it should be fun. So let's get to the questions... I am thinking about going to Lowes and getting 2x10x8 SYP boards (four of them) for the top. I was just going to put them side by side. First question, would gluing the sides of the wood together be strong enough? I have seen most people using like 20 boards and gluing the widths of the board together to create a thicker top... but I don't want it to be that heavy and I don't want to buy all that wood. (Should I just screw the boards to the frame?) Secondly, there will be small grooves where the boards will meet... If I do smooth it out, will the top get too thin? Or since it is just electronics work, maybe leaving the grooves would be fine?

I guess those were the two main questions; gluing the boards and smoothing the top... What I am making seems to be nothing more than a table. I don't want any storage or anything fancy since I am on a limited budget. It would also just be for inside use so are there any recommendations for coating/sealing the workbench. Like I said, I have no experience so anything helps! I am sure I will have more questions to come.

Stephen Cherry
03-27-2013, 12:21 PM
If I were making a utility bench, I would look first to craigslist materials for a used commercial door, section of bowling alley, reclaimed lumber, etc. I have big, super flat commercial doors that I paid 5 dollars for. They would make a superior utility bench top.

Next up would be a premade top
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50086416/

There is plenty of work to be done in the legs.

Terry Beadle
03-27-2013, 12:29 PM
If you are going to use the work table mainly for electronics, I think you would be better off using plywood with a lamination structure. Buy a sheet with as many layers as you can get, with little voids, and have them saw it length wise. Glue and screw the two 2 foot wide panels together. This will give you a very stable work surface, plenty thick ( 3/4 ply will give you an 1 1/2 inch thick top ) and will not allow small screws, solder, and small electronic parts to fall into knots and the cracks between boards. No edge gluing, true-ing or flattening required.

The legs and supporting structure can be good quality 2 X 4's and 2 X 6's.

You'll probably want a vice on one or both ends. A mount for a swinging lamp in the right corner etc.

If you want a cheaper design, then build a supporting structure and for the top just laminate some melmine to a good quality 1/2 inch ply. Just buy a half sheet of each.

Things to think about...

Good Luck !

Pat Barry
03-27-2013, 12:36 PM
Here is a different idea for you. Long ago I did this for my electronics workbench and it worked great for a top. Go to HD or Menards. Find a laminate countertop in their seconds pile. Use it on top of a simple 2x4 support structure. You might get lucky and find a top that is white or not very patterned. Plus, if its a second, you can usually negotiate the price a bit because they don't want it anyway. Plus you get a finished front edge and a back to keep things from rolling off the back. Easy to clean, stable, and plenty strong for any electronics work you need to do.

Lornie McCullough
03-27-2013, 2:21 PM
To piggyback on what Pat said..... put 6 or 8 foot section of preformed countertop on two or three metal file cabinets. Now you have storage for components and parts. If the file cabinets are deeper than the preformed countertop, you have a perfect space to let the electrical cords drop behind.

Woodworking??? What woodworking......

Lornie

John Sanford
03-27-2013, 4:42 PM
Here is a different idea for you. Long ago I did this for my electronics workbench and it worked great for a top. Go to HD or Menards. Find a laminate countertop in their seconds pile. Use it on top of a simple 2x4 support structure. You might get lucky and find a top that is white or not very patterned. Plus, if its a second, you can usually negotiate the price a bit because they don't want it anyway. Plus you get a finished front edge and a back to keep things from rolling off the back. Easy to clean, stable, and plenty strong for any electronics work you need to do.

Dittos to this.

Jay Radke
03-27-2013, 7:11 PM
my dad and i have done this for years for home office desks.

Jim Matthews
03-27-2013, 7:26 PM
If it's for electronics, a melamine top is recommended.

Solder spatters will just pop off when they cool.
If there's an Ikea nearby, shop their scratch and dent inventory makes for great browsing.

John Piwaron
03-27-2013, 9:29 PM
Yup. Building a bench, utility or not, isn't for the faint of heart. I love the idea of a melamine topped kitchen counter for that purpose. I used that sort of material (melamine) to top my new router table. It's great. Nothing sticks to it.