PDA

View Full Version : ZCI Won't Fit

Marco Cecala
03-27-2013, 11:57 AM
Just received a Betterley zero clearance insert for my Shop Fox 1677 Table saw. The insert is the correct model for the saw, however the insert is about a 32nd of an inch to wide.

Can I trim the insert to fit? Not being a metal worker, I don't know how anodized aluminum will respond. Have other Shop Fox owners had this problem?

Thanks for the help

John Schweikert
03-27-2013, 12:58 PM
Maybe best to send it back. They could have had a bad batch, oversized, without knowing yet.

Other suggestion, make your own. Easy with MDF or plywood. I've made a bunch for my Bosch saw which requires some routing the ZCI on the underside for the different metal levels that saw has. But still not hard and it allows you to have ones for different blades and dado widths.

johnny means
03-27-2013, 1:16 PM
tablesaw blade will solve your problem, no problem. Wear glasses and gloves.

Mikail Khan
03-27-2013, 1:16 PM
Aluminium can be easily machined with woodworking tools.

Marco Cecala
03-27-2013, 3:44 PM
Thanks for the help, will cut it on the tablesaw.

Michael Heffernan
03-27-2013, 3:45 PM
Shouldn't have to cut it to fit. Give the manufacturer a call and ask for a replacement. If that doesn't fit, then either your throat plate opening is not right (doubtful) or they have the wrong specs for your machine. Like John S. said, it might be a bad batch. They should offer a replacement no questions asked.

Cary Falk
03-27-2013, 4:56 PM
Mine was too tight on my Uni. I made it fit with an edge sander.

Mikail Khan
03-27-2013, 8:45 PM
Thanks for the help, will cut it on the tablesaw.

Yes. A TS will cut this easily.

MK