PDA

View Full Version : If they don't sell it..... make it!

Doug Richardson
03-27-2013, 11:46 AM
I have been in the process of rebuilding my fathers old 1940's Craftsman/King-Seeley 12" band saw (new guides, tires, replace the lower drive shaft, etc.....). I had only to replace the power cord with a new one when I decided to remove the upper wheel..... oops!

I broke the upper wheel fulcrum. Now they haven't sold replacement parts for this saw (other than new tires) for years. In fact, they don't even sell the substituted parts from a newer band saw anymore. A search of parts on eBay turned up nothing at the moment either. So it was either buy another band saw, or, make a new fulcrum myself. Having access to a mill helps, but I have never done anything other than cut a key in a shaft up to this point. I think my little milling project turned out rather well, considering it was my first try.....

jared herbert
03-27-2013, 12:17 PM
I just came into possession of a similar saw, a craftsman that is painted blue, heavy cast housing, probably the same vintage with 10 inch wheels. It belonged to the father of a good friend of mine. The old man would have been like 110 years old by now. The saw sat unused for years, the rubber tires were completely gone and had been replaced by what looked like some sort of rubber strips cut from something which I have not identified. I am in the process of restoring it to workable condition, got some new tires and have them glued on but that is as far as I have gotten so far. I wasnt going to buy it until I found out where it came from and it set me back all of $20. A good keep sake to have . Jared

John TenEyck
03-27-2013, 12:33 PM
Nice work. It'll last as long as the saw, I'm sure

John

Bruce Page
03-27-2013, 2:32 PM
You won't break that one! Good job!