PDA

View Full Version : I need a good wireless router/modem where I can control individual bandwidth

Brian Ashton
03-27-2013, 8:55 AM
I need a wireless router/modem that I can control individual connected computers with. I need to throttle back some of the heavy users in my house and possibly limit when they can get on... Any suggestions.

Khalid Nazim
03-27-2013, 9:22 AM
Asus has one of the best WiFi Dual band routers around. I have just recently installed one and it does all that you need and more. The model that I bought is ASUS-RT-N66U.

Regards
Khalid

Larry Browning
03-27-2013, 11:05 AM
I believe the one mentioned by Khalid can run DD-WRT firmware which I believe has the ability to do what you want. (it can do just about anything possible with a router) However, I have no experience setting one up that way. There are many routers which can run this firmware, so maybe your existing router can do what you want by simply upgrading it's firmware to DD-WRT. I was able to turn an old router I had laying around into a wireless access point for the shop simply by upgrading the firmware to DD-WRT. Also you might be better off searching through a router specific forum to find what all you options might be. Keep us posted as to what you find out.

paul cottingham
03-27-2013, 12:38 PM
Second thumbs up for DD-WRT. I've used it to revive otherwise useless routers. It is super flexible, and should do everything you mention.

Khalid Nazim
03-27-2013, 2:37 PM
I have used DD-WRT in the past on a Linksys Router. It was the best arrangement to revive an old WiFi router. However, the Asus Router is the one to have with the eye towards the future. Its interface is very easy to understand and configuration is a simple activity. You can create Access Control Lists, time limits, bandwidth limits, guest networks, VPNs and remote access and even connect external hard drives that you can access from anywhere on the internet.

Larry Browning
03-27-2013, 3:52 PM
After you mentioned that particular model I looked it up. That is a pretty awesome router. Even though it is a bit pricy compared to some others available. It looks like it can handle about anything. I think if I was in the market for a new one this one might be the one I bought. My problem with new routers is that I wait until my current one dies and I have to go to Best Buy and get a new one TODAY! because the family can't seem be without internet for more than an hour or 2. You'd think the world was going to end if they couldn't check their facebook page or get an email. Maybe things will be different next time due to smart phones. But who knows, it will probably be an emergency to not be able to watch Netflix on the big tv.

Brian Ashton
03-28-2013, 7:45 PM
I've got a couple old routers but it appears they're not compatible with DD-WRT. I'll have a look for the ASUS though - thx guys

Just looked one up but it's not a router/modem in this part of the world. Is there any other suggestions?

Darius Ferlas
03-28-2013, 9:45 PM
The type of modem you need depends on what connectivity your ISP is giving you (DSL? Cable, dial-up?), or if you have fiber to your house you wouldn't even need a modem.

Brian Ashton
03-28-2013, 11:46 PM
The type of modem you need depends on what connectivity your ISP is giving you (DSL? Cable, dial-up?), or if you have fiber to your house you wouldn't even need a modem.

I'm on ADSL.

Darius Ferlas
03-29-2013, 12:20 AM
I have to say I routinely rejected any of the router/modem combos provided by my providers and I settled for just the modem they provided and then I bought a third party router with the features I needed.

You can get modem/router combos and among the most versatile ones are CISCO (https://www.cdw.ca/shop/products/Cisco-1921-ADSL2-Bundle-router-DSL-desktop/2561533.aspx)1921 ADSL2+ (https://www.cdw.ca/shop/products/Cisco-1921-ADSL2-Bundle-router-DSL-desktop/2561533.aspx). They are very versatile but they don't come cheap and they are not for the faint of heart. You really need to know what you are doing.

Hence, I would suggest to get a separate ADSL modem (again CISCO is very good) and a separate router. I am partial to the Zyxel series (http://www.amazon.com/ZyXEL-Wireless-Internet-Security-Firewall/dp/B00433101I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364521114&sr=8-1&keywords=zyxel+usg-20) as their routers allow for all the things you need and then some. Not as hard to configure a CISCO but not exactly plug-and play for all the functionality you may need.

Jim Matthews
03-29-2013, 6:39 AM
I'm using one of the most commonly available wireless routers from Netgear, their N600 (http://www.netgear.com/home/products/wirelessrouters/high-performance/WNDR3700.aspx#).

It comes bundled with a "Genie" that allows you to limit access.
There's a default "Guest" access with reduced bandwidth, only password limitations needed to run at default settings.

I bought mine at Target - I no longer trust any of the "high end" electronics retailers to either support their products
or offer me more than minimal services. These things are commodities now, and should be chosen with an eye to replacement.

I think mine cost $60 - and it was a snap to install.