PDA

View Full Version : Just a clean up

steven c newman
03-26-2013, 11:21 PM
You see, there was a hand plane that showed up at my mailbox the other day. Looking a little worse for wear, too.258274 Must not have liked the weather outside, either258275:eek: So, maybe a clean up, just to get it feeling a little better? Got things torn down to just parts. I figured them red painted handles would need to be stripped back to bare wood. All the metal parts needed to be wire wheeled clean258276258277 And the handles were stripped258278and the base cleaned off. Got the sole flattened. Iron was worked over. It needed the back flattened, and a new edge ground on it. Put things back together for a test drive on some Pine scrap258279 and I now have a usable Millers Falls #9, type 3. It may have been made during a change-over on the production line. Some things are from a type 2 pre WW11, and others are post WW11. It will now take "Gosemmer" shavings the full width of the iron, just like when it was new-in-box. Worth the $10???:confused:

Terry Beadle
03-27-2013, 12:16 PM
First let's get this out of the way.... 1 each "You suck!"... hoot!

Nice worker and the shavings prove it! Good job.

steven c newman
03-27-2013, 1:23 PM
Maybe a better look ? Without the fuzziness in the photos?258313258314 Just a $10 hand plane?

Bill Houghton
03-27-2013, 3:15 PM
I think the red handles may have been the original finish.

Jim Matthews
03-27-2013, 3:20 PM
Without the red paint - it's just another plane.

With the red paint, it's an American basement shop classic.
You don't put a crochet cover over an Eames chair, either.

steven c newman
03-27-2013, 3:39 PM
Red paint on the handles was UGLY. There was even a name painted on each side in red paint. The type 3s had a dark walnut stained finish to the handles. That MIGHT come back, but NOT that ugly, slopped on red paint. Might have been "Tom's" way of marking (up?) his tools, but I am not Tom.

Started to get rid of the red paint, and found what was left of the Walnut stained varnish. BLO for now, maybe a return to the "Original" finish at a later date.

David Weaver
03-27-2013, 4:08 PM
Worth the $10???:confused:

Absolutely. If you only ever had one smooth plane to do all of your work, that one would do it all. I have been using one exclusively since may of last year to do every smoothing task that's come up, be it tool making or smooth planing a book shelf.

I did get an extra one, though. One in brand new shape cost twice that, and the other one, I had to pay a dollar more than you did.

steven c newman
03-27-2013, 8:36 PM
I now how three planes by Millers Falls, and all three can do the same job. The #8 is handy, the #9 is just a hair bigger. I also have a #900 "V" Line plane. I have it just as sharp as the first two. Makes me want to sell all the Stanleys in the shop....